Shorefishing Locations

bink

Hey everyone, so a few friends and myself have been shorefishing down at the desert and while its been fun the weeds have started to take over. Any recommendations of other places with 60-70 miles of Bismarck to do some shore fishing? I personally am a big fan of walleye however I would be happy fishing for anything as long as there is a bit of a bite.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not from Bismarck, but this same principle applies: Google Earth and OnX app will give you an idea of fishy looking spots and whether they are public or not. I've found some great spots that not many know about and it's really satisfying to know you scouted them yourself. Of course, I've had a few duds as well but that's part of the adventure!

bink

Thanks, I have tried it a few times but my fish senses are terrible! It will be a learning experience, thanks for the advice!

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
The garrison dam tailrace by the boat landing is always a good option for shore fishing. A weight and floating nighcrawler on the bottom can catch a variety of fish there.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The garrison dam tailrace by the boat landing is always a good option for shore fishing. A weight and floating nighcrawler on the bottom can catch a variety of fish there.

Logical next step for shore-fisherpeople as the fishing S of Bis gets tougher.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
We can all thank the G&F for limiting access along the river. Great way to promote the sport. I’d head to the tail race. Better get there before the G&F closes that down as well.

Paul Scott

I got spoiled fishing in Grand Forks I guess. I do not keep fish for food, but love to catch and release them. I prefer to fish from the shoreline with a rod holder. I like to watch my rod bend over and catch big fish such as carp and channel catfish. I spent most of my time fishing the Red River for these two species of fish and area lakes. Now I live in Minot, and I cannot seem to find a good place to catch channel catfish or carp near me. I also am having trouble finding shoreline access. I think the fishing piers are a joke because I cannot net fish from them alone or reach the water to wash my hands. I prefer to use stick dough baits for both catfish and carp, so I need to wash by hands off after baiting the hook. I also do not like high grass areas because of the ticks. It is also nice to have a bathroom close by if needed. Grand Forks was a great place for me, but I cannot find a similar situation in Minot. I tried Rice Lake and could not find any place to fish. It seemed to be all private and had just one fishing pier that was occupied. The local river in Minot is more like a creek. It contains bullhead catfish, but I have not caught any carp or channel catfish from it. Sometimes I like to toss lures for Pike, but I need long stretches of shoreline access. I have driven down to the Missouri River system and found places to fish, but it is very far over an hours drive. Is there any bodies of water closer to Minot with lots of carp and channel catfish to catch?

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got spoiled fishing in Grand Forks I guess. I do not keep fish for food, but love to catch and release them. I prefer to fish from the shoreline with a rod holder. I like to watch my rod bend over and catch big fish such as carp and channel catfish. I spent most of my time fishing the Red River for these two species of fish and area lakes. Now I live in Minot, and I cannot seem to find a good place to catch channel catfish or carp near me. I also am having trouble finding shoreline access. I think the fishing piers are a joke because I cannot net fish from them alone or reach the water to wash my hands. I prefer to use stick dough baits for both catfish and carp, so I need to wash by hands off after baiting the hook. I also do not like high grass areas because of the ticks. It is also nice to have a bathroom close by if needed. Grand Forks was a great place for me, but I cannot find a similar situation in Minot. I tried Rice Lake and could not find any place to fish. It seemed to be all private and had just one fishing pier that was occupied. The local river in Minot is more like a creek. It contains bullhead catfish, but I have not caught any carp or channel catfish from it. Sometimes I like to toss lures for Pike, but I need long stretches of shoreline access. I have driven down to the Missouri River system and found places to fish, but it is very far over an hours drive. Is there any bodies of water closer to Minot with lots of carp and channel catfish to catch?

On your way to the Missouri river you drove by lake sakakawea. It has everything you are looking for.

bobberdown

wow sum, the sky is falling, raining on your parade!! Bink, head up to Audubon, cast out a floating jig, beyond the weed lines tipped with a minnow, dusk is a good time and you will catch eyes. It can be a tough bite with the weeds, but as always, patience. BRING BUG SPRAY!

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Paul,

I'm sending you to Audobon: Go south on 83, when you get to the Garrison intersection; make a hard left. Follow east past a north sweeping elbow then turn south on your first gravel road. Follow to the ramp and you are in carp heaven. Don't know about the channel cat but ASSume they're present due to the population in Sak. I'd definitely try all that euro stuff. I hope FlyCarpn' lives there. Sticking one of those bastards on a fly rod seems to be a most noble and fucking cool pursuit.

It's about a 25min drive from Minot. I wouldn't bother on a weekend unless you plan to fish through the night. The jet skis and assorted retardation may actually prove beneficial for cat and carp after sundown. I can envision shallow feeding after the churning toilet calms.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83