Keeping outdoor kennel cool

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
My outdoor kennel is 5'W x 10'L x 6' high chain link. There is a doggie door into an AC'd bldg. The kennel is along the W side of the building. Used to be shaded most of the day between trees and a neighbor's fence. Neighbor's fence blew down during last summer's wind storm and they're not rebuilding it. Now the kennel has "full sun" from ~4:00PM on during the summer.

Do I:

1. Use white plastic slats on the W side and top to create full-time shade.

2. Use a privacy "mesh" on the W side and Top?

Cost is ~same/same. Anyone ever snow-load a chain-link fence w/mesh or slats? Whatever I do, it's going to go on and stay on.

Option 2, leave it as is until doggie figures out the dog door and realizes it's cooler inside than out and avoids the sun/heat on his own?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you have any little ones around have them crawl through the doggy door a few time with the dog. Not trying to be a wise guy.

There'll be no problem getting him trained to use the door. The door allows him into a small dog-house inside the AC'd building. He won't have the run of the building. The kennel is 5' wide and 10' long, lots more room to move around, stretch out, etc.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have that black mesh type tarp that I zip tie up each summer. There is different types so be sure to get the thicker type. Kinda not cheap. Think I paid 40 or 50 bucks for it. Provides good shade. Take it off in winter because you want sun to get in there and warm it up. Throw treats or food pieces in door so dog goes in to get it. He/she'll figure it out after a few times.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't have any issue getting the last 2 dogs to use the doggie door, I doubt that doggie 3 will have a problem. The issue is whether or not to add some shade.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with Guy. Just shade part of it. Dogs quickly figure out where to lay if they want to be warmer or cooler. Leaving an option for full sun will be nice on cooler days.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a screen for over the top, really surprised how much it kept it cooler.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a it fan at one end, it helps with the shit smell too

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a screen for over the top, really surprised how much it kept it cooler.

Did you have any trouble with the screen holding snow/getting heavy in the winter?

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I knocked the snow off a few times, but I am in SW ND so heavy snow is rare. For some reason I picture a foot on top of it and it held up, I just used cable times (medium not police cuff strengh) to secure it.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Raised floor insulated, north side of garage, walls insulated well, big (to big), vent on top, garage didnt have ac, electric fence at top of six foot chain link ran around the kennel (looked like a scene out of jurassic park)

61xdJWY4mJL._AC_SY606_.jpg

Not the perfect kennel - but needed for a shorthair. Somehow my new one (which is gone now) she still got out -- i have no idea how but she did. She also was the one doing laps in the pool with the pool cover on and her head was under the pool cover (god knows how hot it was under that cover). Again an animal in which does not have an off switch.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75