bug identification

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Came across a bug in my garden. Looked like it just hatched out of it's larvae shell? It was just kind of drying. It was sorta like a wasp crossed with a beetle. Had wings, an orange thorax with bright blue dots in a line. Blue antennae. Of course I didn't think of taking a pic. Can't find it on the net. Any ideas?
ps...I went back out and found it's little shell. It was half buried in dirt yet. So I assume it grew under ground a bit and hatched etc?

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntomeida_epilais

- - - Updated - - -

7eaa53b0-9506-4a31-9635-e98dfa36c1c3

- - - Updated - - -

20DD764D-5E5D-47C0-ABBB-1B2C2B159EE4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

if that’s what you - saw that’s neat

can’t recall seeing one myself

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
nope not it. It has bright royal blue antenna and wings. The body is bright orange with same color blue spots. Wonder if some type of young fire fly because there is a million around here now?? Thanks for effort though!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
About how long was this critter ? You gave a good description but google and I are both stumped.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am stumped as well. I wish I took pic. It was rather small. Seemed more beetle to me but not the round kind. Didn't see any type of stinger More long and slender. With wings. Probably 1 and a half inches?? And

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes!!! That is it! The blues were much more vibrant. Bright royal color but I suspect because it was fresh from hatch. How did you find that? Well done!! And thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose I couldn't find it because I googled orange with blue. Yet its description is black spots. Like I said the blue must dry after a bit and the hue changes to a black. No wonder why I couldn't find it. thanks again! Simple pleasures for the day!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes!!! That is it! The blues were much more vibrant. Bright royal color but I suspect because it was fresh from hatch. How did you find that? Well done!! And thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose I couldn't find it because I googled orange with blue. Yet its description is black spots. Like I said the blue must dry after a bit and the hue changes to a black. No wonder why I couldn't find it. thanks again! Simple pleasures for the day!

I have the National Audubon Society field guide series of books.....had to find it there. I guess the old paperbacks aren't only good for collecting dust afterall!

Glad I could help - I enjoy the challenge of a good mystery.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75