AIM Series Rules question

Honkerherms

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will chime in a bit here, but the NDGF has been doing numerous PSA's every year for the past few years on the subject of deep caught fish -- Barotrauma and Delayed Mortality. Ask some of the Fishery Biologists about this subject and see what they say. There is no doubt Barotrauma has a profound affect on fish caught deeper than 30 feet. Here is a link for a clip from Al Linder and Linder's Angling Edge dated Nov 26th, 2019. They asked for questions on their facebook page, so I asked them about Barotrauma and received a very good response from them: https://www.facebook.com/LindnersAnglingEdge/videos/1052392881782238/. Starts at -7:17 mark. A couple facts are that not all fish float when they die, and at 33 feet the pressure doubles from the surface pressure. I have nothing against the AIM format as I do as much catch and release as I can, but not from anything deeper than 28 feet -- and I quit when I have reached my limit no matter what the size of the fish I have caught are. I really do not like to see the resource wasted -- my opinion.

Jeff

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fuck the research. The survival rate is insanely high. You don’t ever see dead walleye laying around sak.
Yeah you must be smarter than the G&F......
https://gf.nd.gov/fishing/faq#barotrauma
Just because you don’t see them does doesn’t mean they live!

- - - Updated - - -

http://ws3.coopfish.siu.edu/walleye_tech/sum2000mtg.htm

https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/fizzing-a-fish/

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is this the same game and fish that continued to sell far too many deer tags for far too many years and devastated the deer heard?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is this the same game and fish that continued to sell far too many deer tags for far too many years and devastated the deer heard?

Now the deer can't hear either!? That'll make 'em easier to sneak up on if you can fool their eyes and nose........

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will chime in a bit here, but the NDGF has been doing numerous PSA's every year for the past few years on the subject of deep caught fish -- Barotrauma and Delayed Mortality. Ask some of the Fishery Biologists about this subject and see what they say. There is no doubt Barotrauma has a profound affect on fish caught deeper than 30 feet. Here is a link for a clip from Al Linder and Linder's Angling Edge dated Nov 26th, 2019. They asked for questions on their facebook page, so I asked them about Barotrauma and received a very good response from them: https://www.facebook.com/LindnersAnglingEdge/videos/1052392881782238/. Starts at -7:17 mark. A couple facts are that not all fish float when they die, and at 33 feet the pressure doubles from the surface pressure. I have nothing against the AIM format as I do as much catch and release as I can, but not from anything deeper than 28 feet -- and I quit when I have reached my limit no matter what the size of the fish I have caught are. I really do not like to see the resource wasted -- my opinion.

Jeff

Jeff in a situation like mine what does a guy do?? not sure if you saw it on my facebook page but my son was elated i try to do the right thing and release it but in the back of my mind i figured it may be dead. thats why i honestly keep what i cath past 30' and will take some ribbing at the cleaning station for smaller fish but does a guy keep bigger fish out there or not?? because i will be judged, scruntinized , and blasted either way so honest question what would most of you guys do in my situation last wknd 5 year old son 26' walleye all by himself?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
because i will be judged, scruntinized , and blasted either way so honest question what would most of you guys do in my situation last wknd 5 year old son 26' walleye all by himself?

1st guy to get lippy, tell him to mind his own business, unless it's a person from WI, then give them a fish-whacker between the blinkers.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jeff in a situation like mine what does a guy do?? not sure if you saw it on my facebook page but my son was elated i try to do the right thing and release it but in the back of my mind i figured it may be dead. thats why i honestly keep what i cath past 30' and will take some ribbing at the cleaning station for smaller fish but does a guy keep bigger fish out there or not?? because i will be judged, scruntinized , and blasted either way so honest question what would most of you guys do in my situation last wknd 5 year old son 26' walleye all by himself?

you need to get used to not giving a #### what others think about your legal behavior

because it's not getting any better in any aspect of life and it's only going to get worse - so develop that thick skin NOW

Honkerherms

Founding Member
Founding Member

Josh, I saw your video....nice...the little guy did a great job! The little guy wanted to keep it too...nothing wrong with that. Always keep what you want as your the one catching them, but if your into the bigger girls -- and not over 28/30 feet -- throw them back for several reasons! One being ethics, the other is the Mercury content bigger fish can have in them. I believe there is a Mercury Advisory from the NDGF and ND Health Dept. for Lake Sakakawea and has been for years. I keep anything caught in 28 feet or more. I do not catch very many big fish -- ones over 20 inches, that's my luck -- and I quit at the first five too having reached my limit. I have cleaned some small fish because of this, but that is ok too when they are coming from the depths. I would rather keep them and eat them then see them go to waste when they die from delayed mortality once released!

Jeff

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Josh, I saw your video....nice...the little guy did a great job! The little guy wanted to keep it too...nothing wrong with that. Always keep what you want as your the one catching them, but if your into the bigger girls -- and not over 28/30 feet -- throw them back for several reasons! One being ethics, the other is the Mercury content bigger fish can have in them. I believe there is a Mercury Advisory from the NDGF and ND Health Dept. for Lake Sakakawea and has been for years. I keep anything caught in 28 feet or more. I do not catch very many big fish -- ones over 20 inches, that's my luck -- and I quit at the first five too having reached my limit. I have cleaned some small fish because of this, but that is ok too when they are coming from the depths. I would rather keep them and eat them then see them go to waste when they die from delayed mortality once released!

Jeff

It's not "wasting" them if they die after you throw them back.

Something will make use of the easy meal.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good info there guys.
jeff never even realized the mercury levels in sak. We fish the arm prolly 25-30x a year and I rarely keep fish over 22” just personal preferance I like the 15-16” walleyes for eaters anyhow.
I could definitely use some thicker skin at times I think it’s slowly coming with age haha.
Tight lines everyone, someone keep the camera rolling at the Ramps this wknd. I’ll be sitting this wknd out.

Honkerherms

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://gf.nd.gov/news/3952
FYI Latest PSA from NDGF

Good info there guys.
jeff never even realized the mercury levels in sak. We fish the arm prolly 25-30x a year and I rarely keep fish over 22” just personal preferance I like the 15-16” walleyes for eaters anyhow.
I could definitely use some thicker skin at times I think it’s slowly coming with age haha.
Tight lines everyone, someone keep the camera rolling at the Ramps this wknd. I’ll be sitting this wknd out.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74