Vacation homes

FlatTopPete

Established Member
My family and I are contemplating purchasing a vacation home in the Black Hills of SD and renting it out when we are not using it. Anybody ever do this? Curious to hear if anyone has experience with this. What did you like/not like about it? What area are you in?

We work in the agriculture industry so using it when we are busy wouldn’t happen. It’s roughly a 300 mile trip down there for us. Would have to be mainly a winter thing and a few times we can get away during the summer. Just curious to hear some feedback on anyone that owns a vacation/rental place.

MULEDEER

Established Member
Not to discourage you but that far away is asking for one giant headache. Good friends of mine had just a second home there. Always wondering what could be happening while you are not there. I have a lake place 5 miles from home and that can be a headache even so close

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would think that you would need someone close by the home to manage it for you, Someone that you trust so not to worry.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think there’s a pretty vibrant property rental service industry in “The Hills” due to the rally as well as LOTS of snowbirds claiming SD or WY as home due to no state income taxes. Lots of the snowbirds aren’t out their places during the rally, hunting season, and wintertime for Terry Peak.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hire a rental company to handle all the stuff and cleanup etc. they take a cut but it’s worth it.

FlatTopPete

Established Member
Some more background information:

-it’s a 300 mile ONE-WAY trip. We are located in central ND

-we look at it as more of an investment with the side benefit of a vacation home to be used by us one to three times a year.

-we would be hiring a property management company to rent out the house as well as handle snow removal/lawn mowing and home repairs.

-there is a vibrant rental community out there. As far as we can ascertain, a $300-600k house can gross anywhere between $20-50k in annual rental income depending on how often you want to rent it out and the economy of course. The COVID outbreak has had a devastating impact on rental home and tourism obviously.

Last edited:

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
A coworker of mine bought one down there a few years ago, a new place. They do exactly what you are suggesting. Sounds like they do pretty well with it, although I know they've said as you mentioned it's more of an investment than something that is going to provide much income at first. There are slower times of year and busier.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
right now the banks are in eliminate the risk mode - in other words lending is getting tougher and tougher -- great time to buy will be after this little summer spurt.

Next dont plan to rent anything right away. The covid thing is like breaking the VBROs.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
You need a good cleaner with a flexible schedule. But, I suspect a good rental company will take care of that for you. We do it with a cabin where I live. It pays the mortgage and a bit more. Not sure it's a great way to invest money compared to wallstreet. But, we definitely are not taking a loss. Feel free to PM me.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
My in-laws retired down there have a nice place in the hills. They are renting out the house this year for Sturgis. Get a rental company to take care of it, its really not a big headache at all. During Sturgis my in-laws will stay in their nice motorhome in the shop down below the house. Think they got $8,000-$10,000 for the house rental for the week.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy of mine was a home builder in MT. Kalispell area. Built lots of specs during the last housing boom. During the last build market collapsed. He finished it up and came over here to work. While he was here for half a dozen years he rented that house out to vacationers. Management company had it rented out for like 38 weeks a year at 1500 a week. He paid for that house and then went back lol

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
That was the past eyexer---- believe me travel impact is huge; some say it will never come back like before. Devils lake your still getting fishermen no doubt -- WI and MN boys until they fish that lake out.

Its going to take time before everyone is on board. I know so many people that dont want to travel due to beds, sheets pillows etc. I never even thought of those things -- i just thought of the airline travel. SD is a driving vacate - it wouldnt be my first choice for investment as i think travel is the last thing that will bounce back.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If one can afford the 2nd home/cabin in the Black Hills outright, then renting for just a week or 2 of the Sturgis Rally would probably cover the property taxes and most of the utilities for the year.........

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was out in the Hills a few weeks ago and the towns were packed, camp grounds were packed. The drive to vacation spots will do quite well this summer I think.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard you could get some property in the chop/chaz neighborhood cheap. ;:;banghead

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be a great time to buy id suspect
Hmmm. With the current economic climate I’m a little leery. I personally don’t think we have quite felt the full on effects of all the shut downs and money printing. Especially with talks of a second wave. The left is really gonna go crazy and try collapsing the economy right before the election. I could be wrong. The stock market sure bounced back so who knows.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That was the past eyexer---- believe me travel impact is huge; some say it will never come back like before. Devils lake your still getting fishermen no doubt -- WI and MN boys until they fish that lake out.

Its going to take time before everyone is on board. I know so many people that dont want to travel due to beds, sheets pillows etc. I never even thought of those things -- i just thought of the airline travel. SD is a driving vacate - it wouldnt be my first choice for investment as i think travel is the last thing that will bounce back.

friend went to a wedding in the hills last week and every house/cabin was rented out on terry peak busy as he has ever seen. Locally revenue is up in mobridge for both April and may. Fishing traffic is up at least 20% most places are saying. Seems sodak has become a destination even more now since COVID. The hotels here are way busier than a usual summer

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76