Coleharbor fishing over the 4th

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm thinking of taking the boat with to see Mom and her "husband" in Coleharbor over the 4th. I'd like to get them out fishing - who knows how many opportunities are left for them (they're in their 80s).

If somebody could PM me some "easy access" opportunities with a decent chance of success for "eaters" such as the chutes, tailrace cut or protected bays on the east end I'd sure appreciate it. It's not realistic for me to spend 6 hours getting a bite figured out with them along.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

guywhoiscluelessabouteastsakareabite

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been hit and miss on Audubon. Same over the embankment. The wind may well determine your choice.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been hit and miss on Audubon. Same over the embankment. The wind may well determine your choice.

ha ha ha - the wind WILL determine my choice

the 2004 17.5 Alumacraft TP tiller is maybe the wettest 17.5 ever made

it's one reason I'm a shallow bite enthusiast ;:;rofl

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard the chutes were crawling with a$$hats recently

so we should fit right in

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
haven’t looked - hope not

- - - Updated - - -

also - been burned so many times 3-4 days out it almost doesn’t matter - ha ha

SlamminSalmon

Honored Member
The spillway channel has been ok. Good cover from the wind and easy boat control. Size really varies though one day they are nice fish next they are small. The chutes can get interesting if busy. Water can get rough with lots of boats running up. Good luck wherever you go and enjoy the time you get with the family!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will be at the state Park in pick city.
A friend of mine has a cabin up there and fishes all the time. I will get some spots from him tomorrow, and pass them along.
I am not a spot prick like a lot of dicks that fish this area, happy to share the bounty.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Guy...didn't see your post earlier this week...sorry. The last week or so I've fished north side of Mallard Island 3 times pulling cranks in 16 to 22 fow...caught lot's of nice eater size fish. East end has turned on nicely the last 2 weeks...hope you guys have a great weekend!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried the chutes but it was catfish heaven (during evening and one morning).

Found enough decent eaters in the cut - along with the 30 or so other boats. Ha ha. But Mom was thrilled. Her "husband" wasn't feeling up to a boat ride.

I scouted out north side of Mallard one morning - how the hell anybody maintains boat control without one hell of a chart is beyond me. So I gave up pulling cranks after driving myself bonkers for about 30 minutes. Caught a couple nicer eyes on jig/crawler vertical jigging after marking fish.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

BTW... What's the best Lowrance compatible chart for east sak?

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Camped at Downstream below the Dam by Pick City/Riverdale, but put in up at the State Park. Took out my soon to be adoptive grandson who is 3 for a couple hours. The west end of Mallard has enough boats, so I went East of ALL of them. Got the ol'Shakspeare Firebird pole into his with a BB and plain red hook. I just put my hook to the bottom and my son didn't even have his in the water when I looked bad and notice the Firebird had "the tap, tap" look. BAM...grandson caught his first walleye...a nice 17". Biggest smile! Didn't take the other boats long who must have been fishing in 20'+ feet to move in shallower and surround our boat. :mad: We caught fish at 12-14'. Over the next couple hours, we were able to catch 4 more nice fish. My last walleye was 3 lb. 6 oz, as the biggest of the morning. And that one was caught on the on the rock point just south of Mallard. Both of my sons took boat out Saturday night for a couple hours and fished east side...nothing.

4th of July weekend is always tough to go fishing because it is typically the Holiday of a lot of toys on the water, so this really hampered my time on the lake. I did hear and see several boats at the campground heading south on the river. Heard nice fish were caught down the river, smaller walleyes in the Tailrace.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Tried the chutes but it was catfish heaven (during evening and one morning).

Found enough decent eaters in the cut - along with the 30 or so other boats. Ha ha. But Mom was thrilled. Her "husband" wasn't feeling up to a boat ride.

I scouted out north side of Mallard one morning - how the hell anybody maintains boat control without one hell of a chart is beyond me. So I gave up pulling cranks after driving myself bonkers for about 30 minutes. Caught a couple nicer eyes on jig/crawler vertical jigging after marking fish.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

BTW... What's the best Lowrance compatible chart for east sak?

Glad you got a few anyway...as for the Lowrance mapping, I use the Navionics chip in my Lowrance Hook2...download the updates every month or so. For the east end and Audubon, the Navionics chip is very good. However, I've found it is not nearly as detailed for the west end.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
4th of July weekend is always tough to go fishing because it is typically the Holiday of a lot of toys on the water,

One reason why I'm not a big fan of being on the lake on the 4th, its a shitshow at the more popular lakes etc, if you on Lake Sak, the boat ramps are crammed full then you have to trek out to find a decent place all to your own type of deal. Sad to say, I didn't hit the lake or go near water this year, have or did have a broken down truck, that story I will post in the vehicle section for all to read...lol.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We fished for a total of 3 hours on Saturday, then spent the rest of the weekend on the pontoons, and jet skis. Fishing was okay, boy caught this one Resized_20200704_125124.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74