Weak Verizon signal

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cell phone connection was poor before but I could go outside and get enough of a bar so it would work. Now It won't work outside. Is this a local issue or has anyone else been noticing dead spots ? I have a tracfone with Verizon .

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the brand of phone you have makes a big difference. I've had 3 tracfones with Verizon and each had very different reception quality. My first was an old Motorola that was practically like a sat phone for reception. I could get a signal where no one else could. Could even get a connection in a ravine in the badlands sometimes. Second phone was an LG piece of crap that couldn't get a signal standing under the tower. Current phone is a Samsung that is somewhere in between for reception. Been in the same location for 20 years so kinda comparing apples to apples I'd say.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have AT&T and for a awhile had terrible service right in my house where I always had great service and I was using up data like crazy. Found out I was logged out of my WiFi. Have no idea how that happened. Could be your problem though.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was trying to send a text. Now I'm wondering .. Will having the wi-fi turned on enhance the telephone and text service VIA internet ?

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey, 5 miles away at Metigoshe I have a strong signal on an iPhone 8.

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I hate computers!!! I drink sometimes though so then they are fun!!!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey, 5 miles away at Metigoshe I have a strong signal on an iPhone 8.

I think the tower is behind the drive inn , Or it used to be. That must be less than two miles from you as the crow flies . TV antenna reception has been crap too. I wonder if it has anything to do with the forage/ Trees fully leafed out. I've been tempted to try a signal booster , Do they work ?

- - - Updated - - -

Update: A cell phone signal booster Is what I was asking if they work .

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have SRT cable and will have the new fiber optics hooked up next week.

Whitetail56

Cell phone connection was poor before but I could go outside and get enough of a bar so it would work. Now It won't work outside. Is this a local issue or has anyone else been noticing dead spots ? I have a tracfone with Verizon .
It has been slow for me also.

frozen4sioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have a tracphone, it may be true it is running off Verizon signal, but you dont have Verizon, that matters.

Tracphone, like all other prepaid option is de-prioritized on the network.

What that means is, as the carriers own customers utilize network bandwidth, the MVNO carriers bandwidth is deliberately limited. It is what it is.

You get what you pay for.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
If signal is truly your issue, then yes a signal booster will absolutely work. I used to use them a lot for signal in my work trucks. They make a HUGE difference when your in an area with poor signal. BUT, like frozen4sioux said, if your on a tracphone or a pay as you go phone, your service will be cut back as actual verizon or ATT customers demand on the network goes up.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have you tried to shut your phone off and turn it back so it will update it self?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes. off and back on a couple of times. I resent a test text to my wife's phone this morning around 5 ish and it went so i know the phones are working , I'll tinker today when the tower demand is high again and see what happens. I looked at boosters and over my head it went as far as which ones might work and which ones won't. Before I looked I was thinking Id spend $ 100 bucks or so for a good one. I missed that price by 90 % haha. If there was something in the hundred dollar price range I'd give it a whirl otherwise I might as well start looking at phones. I have 12 volt in my office so a mobile booster might be the best bang for my buck.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If Metigoshe is that close you're probably experiencing not enough bandwidth for the bigger than normal holiday weekend crowd.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I noticed a new tower south of Cattail Bay up on the river hills. Does anyone know if it's Verizon's? It sure looks like a cell tower.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my lab for work we use a cell phone signal booster called we boost works very well especially when your in a gravel pit.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76