Need venting underneath a shed?

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I built a 10x16 garden shed last fall. It's sitting on 4x4s on top of a gravel and rock base. I want to seal up the foundation area so critters can't get under it (already had some bunnies and a woodchuck under there on separate occasions).
I'm planning on just using 2x4s to fill the gaps between the 4x4 base, and then put rock around it so critters can't dig under that.
However, I wonder if some type of venting is needed to allow it to "breathe" underneath? I know that trailer houses and crawl spaces and such structures that are open underneath usually have some venting, but I wonder if that's required in this case.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If floor and floor trusses are green treated you don’t.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd try to ventilate - even if just to eliminate nasty mildewey smells.

Last edited:

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You shouldn't necessarily need venting, but venting and keeping moisture to the minimum is never a bad idea. the purpose of venting is to allow moisture to escape.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it high and dry or in an area that stays saturated after a rain ? It might work to skirt it with 1/4 '' steel wire mesh instead of 2x4s

- - - Updated - - -

They make all sizes of mesh , Anything that will keep the mice out.

- - - Updated - - -

It cuts nice with a chop saw when it's still in the roll.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say to anyone else planning on a similar project that in addition to using pressure treated wood for the flooring and blocking the underfloor to small critters you should plan on some vent screens on all four sides AND I would put heavy, black plastic down under the floor before putting the beams and joist down and I would tape any joints in the plastic to cut down on capillary rise from the ground under the building..

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say to anyone else planning on a similar project that in addition to using pressure treated wood for the flooring and blocking the underfloor to small critters you should plan on some vent screens on all four sides AND I would put heavy, black plastic down under the floor before putting the beams and joist down and I would tape any joints in the plastic to cut down on capillary rise from the ground under the building..

Wow - big words - capillary rise! But you are absolutely right, only poking fun at you....I completely agree a barrier can help a ton with moisture, especially at the joints. Wood is like a straw at a gay bar....sucks up every bit of wet it can find, especially through the cut ends!

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
A woodchuck you say? Didn’t realize we had those around here...

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep. Cute little fella. I didn't even have the heart to dispatch him all subsonic/suppressed style. After the kids gawked at him for a while, he just left without incident.

I decided I'm going to skirt the thing with vented soffit, which, with white trim, doors, etc, doesn't look as stupid as it sounds. I'll dig it into the gravel base a bit and line with large-ish river rock. That should keep all but the tiniest of bugs out of there, while allowing moisture to escape.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've given the "cute little fellas" a pass at my property in the Red River in the past

they no longer get passes at my place - they ALWAYS made me regret it - when the opportunity presents itself I take it ASAP

- - - Updated - - -

same with cute little bunnies

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah wood chucks don't deserve a pass......

cache.php

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've given the "cute little fellas" a pass at my property in the Red River in the past

they no longer get passes at my place - they ALWAYS made me regret it - when the opportunity presents itself I take it ASAP

- - - Updated - - -

same with cute little bunnies

Make no mistake gentlemen, Guy’s a killer!! Favorite weapon = baby seal club

- - - Updated - - -

B1818A90-20E5-4810-9FA6-DBBEF4C06032.jpeg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110