Dies for 300 Win Mag

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm testing some new bullets in my Tikka T3x 300 win mag and need some opinions. I just installed the mountain tactical AICS bottom metal and can run longer COAL. I'm currently running an older set of RCBS dies and the longer Berger bullets bottom out in the seating die. Are there any dies on the market that will work with all bullet types without having to replace pieces in the dies to accommodate longer bullets like the Bergers?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
What press?

is your die lock-ring all the way down @ the bottom of the die body?

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honestly man do yourself a favor and get a quality microseater die. The VLDs are not an easy bullet to load and you will need to be very consistent with them ( depth) to get them to behave like they should. The micro seaters are the cats ass when you learn how to use them and set them up.

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly wouldn’t load Berger VLDs if your not willing to invest in a quality seating die. Not trying to be mr negative just trying to save you a huge giant headache down the road.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honestly man do yourself a favor and get a quality microseater die. The VLDs are not an easy bullet to load and you will need to be very consistent with them ( depth) to get them to behave like they should. The micro seaters are the cats ass when you learn how to use them and set them up.

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly wouldn’t load Berger VLDs if your not willing to invest in a quality seating die. Not trying to be mr negative just trying to save you a huge giant headache down the road.

That's why I'm here looking for options. I'm not going to settle for a "decent" shooting rifle. Are the redding dies worth the money, and will they work for ANY bullet? I just want something that I can adjust for each bullet and record the settings until I figure out what I want to shoot.

- - - Updated - - -

What press?

is your die lock-ring all the way down @ the bottom of the die body?

It's an RCBS rockchucker press. I haven't tried loading the bergers yet, so the lock ring is not yet bottomed out. I just wanted to see what everyone else was using to get consistent seating with multiple bullet types without needing different parts for each bullet. If I can make my dies work, I will, but they are old with very little adjustments.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

What are you doing that’s so great about how you go about seating “VLD’s”? I’ve been chamfering and seating for them for a while and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure it out. A comparator is your friend, especially when dealing with inconsistent bullets from the ogive forward. If you have that problem, change dies.

- - - Updated - - -

That's why I'm here looking for options. I'm not going to settle for a "decent" shooting rifle. Are the redding dies worth the money, and will they work for ANY bullet? I just want something that I can adjust for each bullet and record the settings until I figure out what I want to shoot.

- - - Updated - - -

It's an RCBS rockchucker press. I haven't tried loading the bergers yet, so the lock ring is not yet bottomed out. I just wanted to see what everyone else was using to get consistent seating with multiple bullet types without needing different parts for each bullet. If I can make my dies work, I will, but they are old with very little adjustments.

Have you even considered what I am suggesting man?

- - - Updated - - -

Think long game here.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are you doing that’s so great about how you go about seating “VLD’s”? I’ve been chamfering and seating for them for a while and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure it out. A comparator is your friend, especially when dealing with inconsistent bullets from the ogive forward. If you have that problem, change dies.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you even considered what I am suggesting man?

- - - Updated - - -

Think long game here.

Haven't had time to research anything yet, so I'm considering all options. Just wanted to see what everyone else is using.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was having trouble too. Then a fellow with terminal cancer wanted me to have his 300 Win mag dies. I had been using RCBS and was getting .002 to .007 inch bullet run out. When I got his Bonanza bench rest I still had a problem. Then I discovered his sizing die was not concentric. Now I resize with the RCBS die and seat with the Bonanza. I am getting 0 to .001 inch run out. Since then I purchased Forester Ultimate dies to seat Bergers in my 6.5x284, and RCBS Gold Metal Match to seat Bergers in my 6.5 Creedmoor. I get .001 to .002 out of those dies. I even have a custom 6.5 Creedmoor Chamber seating die, but still get up to .004 run out with that. About the best you can do is order a VLD seating plug for your RCBS or a set of the newer Forester that comes with it.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kentucky I wouldn’t say I do anything special. Use Redding dies and modify the seating stem. I measure every bullet with a comp and get consistent results. Not looking to get into an Internet foght. Do what works for you.
NDBwhunter go on various dedicated long range forums, snipers hide, etc etc you will see Berger’s are not the easiest bullets to load I’m sorry if I offend anyone by this but I know a few guys that gave up on them say they suck and don’t group well when in fact it’s them not the billet. I think it’s pretty misleading to tell a guy to take any die and stuff VLD some may work some may not but to think they load as easy as a soft point is naive

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Let's back up here. What are you trying to accomplish? Given that you've chosen Berger bullets, are you trying to seat into the lands? Close to the lands? Have you measured the length of your chamber giving yourself a max OAL to work with? Will that max OAL fit into your new bottom metal or is it still too long? Factory chambered 308, 30-06, and 300Win are notoriously LONG. It does you no good to spend a bunch of $$ on tools only to find out you can't execute your plan.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let's back up here. What are you trying to accomplish? Given that you've chosen Berger bullets, are you trying to seat into the lands? Close to the lands? Have you measured the length of your chamber giving yourself a max OAL to work with? Will that max OAL fit into your new bottom metal or is it still too long? Factory chambered 308, 30-06, and 300Win are notoriously LONG. It does you no good to spend a bunch of $$ on tools only to find out you can't execute your plan.

I'm trying to get away from the factory tikka mags to give myself more options for bullet seating depths. I'm not set on the Berger bullets, but I do want to try some different bullets to see what the gun likes. I have measured the chamber with three different bullets to get the max OAL for each bullet. The new bottom metal and AICS mags will accommodate those lengths. I'm certainly not new to reloading, but I've never messed with seat depth since I've always been limited by the factory mags. Any other guidance is appreciated.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74