Fly fishing tailrace

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have picked up a few fish on streamers. 7 lb Salmon on a 5 wt rod can be a blast!
Good luck!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I spent the last couple of days at the downstream campground, with a "new to us" camper. Didn't fish, but watched a guy giving it a whirl, on some points on the east side, below the ramp, down by the campground. One of those rare no-wind days.

Looked like fun. I didn't see him catch anything, but still.. it has appeal.

Last fall, on the west rocks close to the wing-walls, I watched a guy. I did better throwing cranks, both for salmon and walleye, but still, it looked like fun.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I spent the last couple of days at the downstream campground, with a "new to us" camper. Didn't fish, but watched a guy giving it a whirl, on some points on the east side, below the ramp, down by the campground. One of those rare no-wind days.

Looked like fun. I didn't see him catch anything, but still.. it has appeal.

Last fall, on the west rocks close to the wing-walls, I watched a guy. I did better throwing cranks, both for salmon and walleye, but still, it looked like fun.

Buddy of mine likes to fish the west rocks....though another friend of his sent him pictures of nice walleyes caught on the east side. The young anglers caught their limit of walleyes in like an hour flipping cranks. But that was a couple weeks ago!!!

Did you enjoy the mosquitoes at Downstream. We were there last week for like 5 days....ACOE came in on ATV's and sprayed....4 hours later it rained. So that did a lot of good!!!! :mad:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy of mine likes to fish the west rocks....though another friend of his sent him pictures of nice walleyes caught on the east side. The young anglers caught their limit of walleyes in like an hour flipping cranks. But that was a couple weeks ago!!!

Did you enjoy the mosquitoes at Downstream. We were there last week for like 5 days....ACOE came in on ATV's and sprayed....4 hours later it rained. So that did a lot of good!!!! :mad:

I would think the west side would be easier to fly fish. I would think there'd be less chance of having to try to cast into the wind.

The mosquitoes were truly something. Lots of them, and they were big. I saw one screwing a chicken.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
The mosquitoes were truly something. Lots of them, and they were big. I saw one screwing a chicken.

When were in Texas in the late '70's/early '80's the mosquitoes were big enough to stand flat footed and screw a TURKEY!!!

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Around down stream off shore with wooly buggars you'll get nice trout.

cgreene

Im planning on going there next month. Ive been wanting to use the rod that I bought a few weeks ago and Ive decided to try out tailrace. Buying new fishing rods is always gives you a great feeling. If anyone is looking to upgrade their rods, you should navigate to this site.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
--Know enough about fly fishing to make me dangerous; here goes: JK is correct about the wind. Conversely; the east side bank from the dam to the boat ramp is more wade friendly and allows for better roll casting (a Spey rod would not be out of order). Wading; IMHO, would require no less than a 7wt. There are fish in that water which would easily approximate saltwater quarry and all would hit a blue back/white streamer. Duplicating Rapala's "Clown" would also be effective. I wouldn't be surprised of walleye action during the "purple" times of day.

Perfect World: From a boat the world is your oyster: One 9wt, one 7wt rod
Two reels for each; one sinking, one floating (9wt with appropriate leaders for pike)

From shore (again perfectish world): 7wt; two reels: Sinking rigged for streamers equipped with appropriate leader (fluorocarbon) Floating: Rigged for large terrestrials.

All tapers should be the shooting variety IMO.

Again, I'm talking out of my ass based upon much reading, fishing shows and experience throwing jerkbaits from shore down there. I hope this blather is helpful and would much appreciate reporting of any result.

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
--Know enough about fly fishing to make me dangerous; here goes: JK is correct about the wind. Conversely; the east side bank from the dam to the boat ramp is more wade friendly and allows for better roll casting (a Spey rod would not be out of order). Wading; IMHO, would require no less than a 7wt. There are fish in that water which would easily approximate saltwater quarry and all would hit a blue back/white streamer. Duplicating Rapala's "Clown" would also be effective. I wouldn't be surprised of walleye action during the "purple" times of day.

Perfect World: From a boat the world is your oyster: One 9wt, one 7wt rod
Two reels for each; one sinking, one floating (9wt with appropriate leaders for pike)

From shore (again perfectish world): 7wt; two reels: Sinking rigged for streamers equipped with appropriate leader (fluorocarbon) Floating: Rigged for large terrestrials.

All tapers should be the shooting variety IMO.

Again, I'm talking out of my ass based upon much reading, fishing shows and experience throwing jerkbaits from shore down there. I hope this blather is helpful and would much appreciate reporting of any result.

Bravo good man! On the west rocks, you can come down the incline, drive as far downstream as possible, then abandon the vehicle and make your way south to a few pools, with some "cliffs" at your back. I think roll casting would be in order. Little foot traffic on the west side, south...

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
With no deer tag and what looks to be another subpar pheasant season, i may have to give this a try a few times this fall. I have gotten back into fly fishing in the past few years after about a 15 year hiatus. I've mostly been heading west for trout with 4-5wt rods, but i do have a couple old 7's laying around. Me thinks those are about the minimum for the race.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75