2020 Muzzleloader tag

CranknTFX

So after 9 years of patiently waiting, I drew a tag. So now the next problem is I told myself I wasn't buying a muzzleloader till I drew a tag. Now I want to know what everyone's running for guns, optics. I know the 1x rule and I haven't been lucky enough to find any 1x scopes. Do I even mess with one or use a red dot? Looking for info.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I decided to do the same thing....and still have no new muzzy chooch blaster. So I am no help.. Congrats, maybe someday I'll get that golden tag

Srputz

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use tc omega and red dot. Seems to kill them dead

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a tc and a 1x tc scope and if it’s broadside at 150 and I have a rest , which I do cuz I hunt out of enclosed stands , the party’s over . I shoot 2 50 grain pellets and 240 grain Hornady sabots. At 100 yards I’m sighted in a few inches high . Lots of my shooting during muzzy season is over food plots and tends to be 100-130 yard shots

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you apply for a MZ tag to just have another deer tag, or did you apply for it to simply have more time afield with the extra challenge?

The answer to your question lies in the answer to the above question.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got a new TC Impact. Check out Midway USA online for stuff. I am going to try a red dot on this gun. Scheels-Bismarck has some Vortex red dots on sale for 159. Stay away from the cheap ones. One of the reasons for the new gun was to go to Blackhorn 209 powder. You don't have to clean the gun near as often when using it compared to the traditional black powder substitutes.

I have been using a 1x scope on an older gun. Those scopes do make things smaller than real life. You can miss seeing that tree branch in front of the deer.

- - - Updated - - -

Stay away from Powerbelt bullets and Hornady SST - red tip. There have been issues with them fragmenting or not expanding. I am going to try federal Bor lock and Hornady 300gr XTP with Harvester Crushed rib Sabots. I hope to get out soon.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was also lucky enough to draw a muzzleloader tag this season with 9 points. I have 3-4 family members with more points than me, and 3-4 with a few points less. Lots of reviews out there but I am biting the bullet and getting the Remington 700 ultimate muzzleloader. Splitting it 2-3 ways with others so the price isn't as bad. Haven't decided on scope but might just go with factory sights, but vortex does make a simple 1x24 I believe. Going to purchase in the next week or two, and I can report back with findings on how I like it. Good luck hunting!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't like the idea of coin battery powered anything in cold weather.

If you're able to find the since discontinued Sightron S1 1x24, IMO it has the least amount of that "Paper-towel tube" feeling when you look through it.

TC Omega, 1x Sightron. 250gn Hornady SST/TC Shockwave and 3 50gn Pyrodex pellets.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
For what it's worth, I shoot a Lyman made Great Plains Rifle. It's a percussion cap ignited, round ball shooting, flame-belching, ton of fun and has improved my hunting experience.

lyman-gpr-left-flint_1.jpg

Timbuk-2

Founding Member
Founding Member
"So after 9 years of patiently waiting, I drew a tag. So now the next problem is I told myself I wasn't buying a muzzleloader till I drew a tag."

And everyone wonders why it is so hard to draw a license!

SlamminSalmon

Honored Member
No scope and no 209 primer! I shoot a traditions iron sights and percussion cap ignited! 11 years and counting to draw a tag!

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was also lucky enough to draw a muzzleloader tag this season with 9 points. I have 3-4 family members with more points than me, and 3-4 with a few points less. Lots of reviews out there but I am biting the bullet and getting the Remington 700 ultimate muzzleloader. Splitting it 2-3 ways with others so the price isn't as bad. Haven't decided on scope but might just go with factory sights, but vortex does make a simple 1x24 I believe. Going to purchase in the next week or two, and I can report back with findings on how I like it. Good luck hunting!

I don't know that it's worth buying a high end muzzleloader and then shooting with open sights or a 1 power scope. Kinda like buying a custom rifle and then shooting with open sights. Whatever you decide though, best of luck!

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
With Remington going through their possible sale/bankruptcy I would be concerned about future availability of their unique ignition system for it.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
"So after 9 years of patiently waiting, I drew a tag. So now the next problem is I told myself I wasn't buying a muzzleloader till I drew a tag."

And everyone wonders why it is so hard to draw a license!
This is like (I am not buying a lotto ticket until I win the lottery).

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know that it's worth buying a high end muzzleloader and then shooting with open sights or a 1 power scope. Kinda like buying a custom rifle and then shooting with open sights. Whatever you decide though, best of luck!

I would def agree with this for that aspect, I should have wrote more on the situation. Dad and myself are looking into a few muzzleloader elk hunts in the next 2-3 years, so the gun would be getting a larger scope in the future.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would def agree with this for that aspect, I should have wrote more on the situation. Dad and myself are looking into a few muzzleloader elk hunts in the next 2-3 years, so the gun would be getting a larger scope in the future.

Right on man. Definitely makes sense then.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah 1x is asinine in this day and age, I understand the primitive weapon etc... ya know how many deer I've found in my yard wounded with a muzzy that were shot and ran into my "refuge"? More than I care to count, pisses me off when I get a call during muzzy season, get a QD mount. I'm not the first person to think that.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah 1x is asinine in this day and age, I understand the primitive weapon etc... ya know how many deer I've found in my yard wounded with a muzzy that were shot and ran into my "refuge"? More than I care to count, pisses me off when I get a call during muzzy season, get a QD mount. I'm not the first person to think that.

FWIW, I have no idea what you meant. :;:huh

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
So,I've been at this awhile,drew 3 muzzy buck tags in a row before inlines became the rage,and not one since.I enjoy shooting them,so heres my thoughts.I own QD mounts for a leupold superslam,used during regular season.Pyrodex and triple & give you positive ignition with almost all muzzies.I use T7 in my Hawken with a mag spark nipple,this allows for use of shotgun primers,reason t7 can be used in sidelock.
My inline I use Blackhorn 209,but mine has a Lehigh ventliner installed in the breech plug,1/8"flash channel and .028 flash hole,any flashole over .036,usually deteriorates accuracy.
My opinion on sights,get a quality fiber optic for muzzy season,over red dot or 1x.If you want to use during regular season buy a QD mount and put a scope on.
Pellets and sticks are garbage,wiegh loose powder,powerbelts will shoot out of some rifles,patched round balls would be my very last choice,and most salesmen dont know Sh#@ about it,but you can find some very good info on the web for gun reviews,powders ,bullets etc.
Congrats on the tag and Good Luck!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79