Trolling speed

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to a 36 volt system. You will rip that thing around like a boss. Like mentioned above, if you kill your batteries and don’t get a charger on them you run the risk of ruining them. I had an AGM I couldn’t get charged after the primitive camping deal just like you mentioned.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you’re gelin’, no worries about getting a charge on them right away - they’re resistant to damage in that fashion, unlike wet cells and glass mats

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are camping and need to charge your batteries, you can always use jumper cables from your tow vehicle, or the boat's starting battery. I've done it a number of times to put some juice back into my trolling batteries and have not noticed any ill effects from it.

- - - Updated - - -

And as far as the 5 gallon buckets, they do work. You can make them a lot easier to pull in by drilling a few half inch diameter holes in the bottom of them. Socks are still better though.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Quite FN around and get a kicker. I use mine all the time and steer with trolling motor up front.

This is what I do too , I carved a plastic cutting board to fit and attach to the bottom of my bow mount trolling motor and use kicker to push with trollmaster for speed and autopilot to steer. First time for me ever to have unemotional boat control . I no longer fuss and cuss when steering the boat so I enjoy enjoy fishing a lot better. I only charge a couple times a year but I like having fully charge batteries so I was thinking about a 12v input 24V output converter to run off main 12v system so big motor and kicker keeps them charged . When I go fishing I almost always go off the grid.

https://www.ntctrading.net/shop/12v-to-24v-dc-to-dc-step-up-converter-3a-5a-10a

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure why or how you've attached a cutting board to your bow mount trolling motor. Auto pilot is nice bur I really wish I could tell it to follow a specific depth or contour.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and 80 lbs isn't enough for a 20 foot fiberglass boat. It's one of the main reasons I use my kicker so much, even when pulling BB around. Only when going with the wind do I shut it off and only use electric. There's no way I'd own a fishing boat without a kicker, unless main motor trolled down low enough of course.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure why or how you've attached a cutting board to your bow mount trolling motor. Auto pilot is nice bur I really wish I could tell it to follow a specific depth or contour.

It makes it steer way better , Without the extra fin I had to use thrust to steer , After adding the fin the bow follows the path without thrust. My bow (22' Lund Barron) gets pushed around by the wind without it.

Jim Carroll

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try this... The best $100 solution to your issue is two - 30" drift socks. 3X better than a single bag, will give you excellent boat control and speed regardless of wind direction and waves.

twin 30s under hull.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try this... The best $100 solution to your issue is two - 30" drift socks. 3X better than a single bag, will give you excellent boat control and speed regardless of wind direction and waves.

A621647E-B8A9-461B-BEE1-B0F49B86387A.jpeg
yep - works good

https://nodakangler.com/forums/threads/9255-guywhotrolls?p=143410&viewfull=1#post143410

- - - Updated - - -

holy cow - that thread turned into a hell of a trainwreck!

here's an action shot of the twins - from the rear/left...
https://nodakangler.com/forums/threads/9255-guywhotrolls?p=148075&viewfull=1#post148075

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder how it would work to put a big sock between the pontoons? When I was boat shopping the wife wanted a ton bad. If they had a fishing pontoons WITH KICKERS, I'd probably own one. I'm happy with the Ranger though, and love the kicker with the troll master.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ehh, what is the cutting board doing for you? Acting as a front rudder?

- - - Updated - - -

pics?

It's not pretty but it works, I tried it with supplies I had on hand and was going to revamp it later with a black cutting board but this worked out good so I didn't mess with it , Any bigger and it could bend the shaft. Another thing I'd like to try is a water bladder from a wake boat up front, I have a good spot for it out of sight. Filling both front livewells makes a world of difference.

0716201334.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76