Tying Your Own Spinner Rigs

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whats the best snell tying aid? I have a little red one with a pull through needle of sorts, but you have to be perfect to not kink the line on double rigs. I tie them to burn up time in the winter, if I go crazy I usually have several years worth. I would like to see someone sell a GOOD selection of spinner blades. There are some spinner blade collections out there but half of what you get sucks. Sizes and colors mixed and matched and I'd buy more blades.

We tried using a couple different tying aids... They just weren't very useful to us. My wife is a freak of nature when it comes to tying rigs, and all those aids do is slow her down....

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ones we sell for $3.60 are the rigs that we have DH Custom paint for us and they have sold like crazy.... Our other non custom painted rigs range from $1.79-$2.10 each and are for the most part right on par with other manufacturers.

If you go to the Colorado Rigs page on our site you can see our current selection. I have about 6 or 8 more to add to the site, just have to find the time!
Petras, if people are willing to pay that, more power to you. I meant no offense. Just found prices on these things a bit crazy now days but in fairness I haven't bought any pre-tied rigs in a long time. Guess it's no different then everything else going up in price.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anybody believe the fish can actually see the intricate patterns of fancy spinner blades?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was just thinking the same thing... :)

We (3 people in my family) tie a buttload of rigs every year.... like 15,000+. Hagensfish.com has the best prices for beads and unless you have a business, hooks if you buy in bulk. As far as hooks goes, we use Gamakatsu octopus hooks for all of our octo rigs, and Mustad slow deaths. They have a great selection of blades as well, and are for the most part very well priced. Personally I have always used 10# Sufix Elite and have never had any issues, so that is what we use for all the rigs we tie for our business.

What style of blades do you sell more , Colorado or Indiana? Which do you prefer personally ?

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does anybody believe the fish can actually see the intricate patterns of fancy spinner blades?

No I don’t think they can see the intricate patterns but I think it’s more about the color of the blade spinning and the flash it gives off. The minor differences might not matter most days but sometimes it is key.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
What style of blades do you sell more , Colorado or Indiana? Which do you prefer personally ?

Honestly, we don't even tie any rigs with Indiana blades on them (Yet). We are just now starting to expand our offerings on Colorado Rigs. I've always run Colorado blades, even before we started our tackle business.

We are still fairly new, having only been in operation for about 3 years now. We currently offer 129 different rigs, and try to add at least a dozen new rigs every year. We currently offer 16 different Colorado rigs, but I have another 8 or so to include copper blades, pink/white blades, green/chartreuse blades, and some Rainbow Fish Scale that I haven't added to the system yet as we've just been super swamped. We were able to take on a couple new retail sites, one being Scheels in Minot, and one being the Van Hook Travel Center, and they, along with all our other customers have kept us very busy tying this summer.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
For many years all I used were hammered gold, silver and copper blades. Then it seemed like the success rate fell off on those and when I started using colored versions on those hammered blades things increased again. Not sure why that would be. May just have been the changes in the fishery over the years. But now at certain times color makes a difference but it’s not all that often.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live in Bismarck so I support Wade at Dakota Tackle he has all the high end components to tie any rig why support big dogs online?

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Certain colors/patterns sure seem to make a difference some days.

No I don’t think they can see the intricate patterns but I think it’s more about the color of the blade spinning and the flash it gives off. The minor differences might not matter most days but sometimes it is key.

I agree with the color of the blade making a difference, even the color of beads, but I don't think it matters if they have a fancy (i.e. expensive) pattern. What RPM does a blade spin at? I think only a blur of color is actually visible to the fish. Now crankbaits are a different story, I believe color and even the pattern of that color can make a difference.

I will add this is only my opinion based off what I see when I'm pulling them.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's hard to say what makes a difference. I'e had days where color obviously mattered. My buddy just told me the other day they only caught fish on blue spinners, and a leech. The little ones were cost them all their bait and they ran out of leeches at 5 keepers. Didn't say what color beads were. I made a bunch with all chartruse beads yesterday. When I grew up, they were ALL orange. Its one of the reasons I started tying, the beads i started to match with the spinner, and couldn't stand that every spinner had orange.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I tie a few hundred each winter just to fill in the dead time. Been known to give some away from time to time. Had one fishing bud that thought my tackle bag was the free store. That ended not well.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
20200721_203823.jpg
you can't see them very well but 4 of those reams are newly tied this summer.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I try to buy good in bulk, but not out of this world type of numbers. I spend my winter months loading up the tackle buddy's and then rainy nights in the camper refilling the batch. Gammakatsu hooks, Seaguar fluoro-carbon leads, and plastic clevis. I variate the beads where each rig has either one or two color beads. I leave my spinners off and keep them in a ziplock baggie so I can choose my blade. This summer I've rarely used any spinner blades because the propeller and wings have been working so well!

I bought a few goods from Pros Tackle, a business from Pollock, SD. I think. I've also bought a few things from Wade at Dakota Tackle, some from Scheels, some from eBay, and every other place I've slobbered over what's in front of me.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wings and Propellers are the go too this year just like last fall.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are these 'wings'? Smile blades?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, that's what I thought they were, just didn't ever hear them called wings. They are working good this year. I should get some props too.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
::thinking::I’ve got to many different colors to choose from. ;;;;;;;

40E2A66A-4C7F-48A6-AA98-8B5DE9DBF6CE.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107