Tying Your Own Spinner Rigs

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
The spinner brand I miss the most are the old Wa-Pa spinners from Home of Economy.

They are still making those, not sure where all they sell them.

Scheels has em. $1.29 each. Pretty hard not to buy them pre made when they are that cheap.

dodgeguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you get twisted line just use a little piece of rubber and pinch it on the line and run it the length of the line with pressure takes the twist right out. I found that using a soft bodied jig works too. Works pretty slick.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
This guy gets it!

Also, I use dakota tackle for all my components as well. If I buy bulk, I usually end up loosing that tray or worse, dropping my box of beads onto the pavement and then watching them disperse like someone yelled "bomb."

I was just thinking the same thing... :)

We (3 people in my family) tie a buttload of rigs every year.... like 15,000+. Hagensfish.com has the best prices for beads and unless you have a business, hooks if you buy in bulk. As far as hooks goes, we use Gamakatsu octopus hooks for all of our octo rigs, and Mustad slow deaths. They have a great selection of blades as well, and are for the most part very well priced. Personally I have always used 10# Sufix Elite and have never had any issues, so that is what we use for all the rigs we tie for our business.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was just thinking the same thing... :)

We (3 people in my family) tie a buttload of rigs every year.... like 15,000+. Hagensfish.com has the best prices for beads and unless you have a business, hooks if you buy in bulk. As far as hooks goes, we use Gamakatsu octopus hooks for all of our octo rigs, and Mustad slow deaths. They have a great selection of blades as well, and are for the most part very well priced. Personally I have always used 10# Sufix Elite and have never had any issues, so that is what we use for all the rigs we tie for our business.

you hand tie 15000 rigs a year, you must be selling them then, that's 300 a week every week, ;:;bowdown

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, not bad, Petras. Get some Wa-Pa styled hammered gold with silver/chartreuse/gold stripes and I will order a shit load!

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they are tying 15000 rigs somebody must be buying them. Thumbs Up

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
for folks that don't go through 100 of them per year like me, no sense in making your own. i will pay $3 for good ones. family got in the way of my fishing the last 10 years. sold both of my boats last year. but, in the few years before that i was only getting on the water 5-10x year. probably pull spinners half the time. lose a few a day maybe. small price to pay really. i admit it would be nice to get out enough to justify tying my own or needing to bargain shop.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ones we sell for $3.60 are the rigs that we have DH Custom paint for us and they have sold like crazy.... Our other non custom painted rigs range from $1.79-$2.10 each and are for the most part right on par with other manufacturers.

If you go to the Colorado Rigs page on our site you can see our current selection. I have about 6 or 8 more to add to the site, just have to find the time!

Last edited:

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tie some of my own, but I also buy the quick change berkely ones tied with xt and cut the loop off and add different beads/blades and add a swivel.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whats the best snell tying aid? I have a little red one with a pull through needle of sorts, but you have to be perfect to not kink the line on double rigs. I tie them to burn up time in the winter, if I go crazy I usually have several years worth. I would like to see someone sell a GOOD selection of spinner blades. There are some spinner blade collections out there but half of what you get sucks. Sizes and colors mixed and matched and I'd buy more blades.

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't get out in the boat a lot either, but I want to be able to experiment with different color combinations, try weird blades, etc. Otherwise I would just continue to buy pre-tied from Scheels or Home of Economy. Saving money isn't the reason I want to start, but if I can save money in buying the components I would like to.

Just bought some cabelas 100 packs, their 3000 bead kit, and bought assorted blades and some clevises from Rock Island Sports. Hagensfish.com looks awesome, and I will likely buy from them in the future

RRmaniac

Established Member
Whats the best snell tying aid? I have a little red one with a pull through needle of sorts, but you have to be perfect to not kink the line on double rigs.

I have snelled many hooks and have never found a need for a snell tying aid. This is a video of the cleanest looking snell knot I've ever seen. I just leave an extra long tag end and loop when I tie the top hook in the crawler harness. Skip to 2:24.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walleyesupply.com has some cool spinners and beads. spendy though

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105