School Reopening

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t know why he wouldn’t mean it. With both parents working full time jobs and little to no training in teaching school subjects the kids would be at a huge disadvantage. Been a long time since I did 8th grade algebra so how do I teach that when I don’t even know how to do it?
Try AP Calculus & AP Chemistry with a highschool junior

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
The human immune system is an amazing thing. Problem is, if it's not constantly exposed to new bugs, it gets lazy. The longer we isolate people from others, the longer our immune systems sit idle not making antibodies to help fight off new bugs. Why do you think when kids start school, everyone gets a runny nose for a week or two? They are getting exposed to everybody's bugs, the immune system builds up antibodies and then can fight off all kinds of new things. If we aren't exposed to new things, we don't build immunity. If we don't get back to normal life sooner than later, there's gonna be a lot of sick kids and people this winter from just everyday common colds.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suspect we will see a large surge in infections as schools go back to in person classes. There's just no way to have 400 kids and staff in a single building for them to maintain enough distance. Since kids are most likely to be asymptomatic spreaders, I am just assuming I'll have contracted the corona by Oct. And unlike those who say bring it on, even though I'm not necessarily in a high risk of dying from it, I'm not looking forward to catching it.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
The human immune system is an amazing thing. Problem is, if it's not constantly exposed to new bugs, it gets lazy. The longer we isolate people from others, the longer our immune systems sit idle not making antibodies to help fight off new bugs. Why do you think when kids start school, everyone gets a runny nose for a week or two? They are getting exposed to everybody's bugs, the immune system builds up antibodies and then can fight off all kinds of new things. If we aren't exposed to new things, we don't build immunity. If we don't get back to normal life sooner than later, there's gonna be a lot of sick kids and people this winter from just everyday common colds.
Agreed totally .

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Schools will be closed by Christmas, if they even get started.

It won't matter who's elected 11/3. CV-19 will be a non-issue by 11/15, mostly because cable news ratings won't warrant any more coverage.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suspect we will see a large surge in infections as schools go back to in person classes. There's just no way to have 400 kids and staff in a single building for them to maintain enough distance. Since kids are most likely to be asymptomatic spreaders, I am just assuming I'll have contracted the corona by Oct. And unlike those who say bring it on, even though I'm not necessarily in a high risk of dying from it, I'm not looking forward to catching it.

Bingo. Now tell me why I should volunteer my 2nd grader to be a lab rat. They are not invincible, we are also not. Sending them to school is the same as sendin em to normandy flippin beach. By the time the schools find out there's an outbreak, it will be far spread and too late to try and curb the problem. Then what? Whose to blame when (not if) the shit hits the fan.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bingo. Now tell me why I should volunteer my 2nd grader to be a lab rat. They are not invincible, we are also not. Sending them to school is the same as sendin em to normandy flippin beach. By the time the schools find out there's an outbreak, it will be far spread and too late to try and curb the problem. Then what? Whose to blame when (not if) the shit hits the fan.

Not sure of other schools but if you are in the Bismarck school system you have the option to keep distance learning.

- - - Updated - - -

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13Y295SCAhQrHwIWRNrFRYapmzopliItavjE0T0nAEt0/edit
There are two primary instructional models from which families can choose:

• Face-to-Face (a blended model with the goal of being at school in a face-to-face setting as often as circumstances allow). Students in the Face-to-Face model may experience movement to and from the following modes of instruction depending on specific COVID-19 situations in classrooms, buildings and the district (as defined by Decision Making Guidance)
  • Distance Learning (a model where students are primarily based from their home environment). PreK-12 parents can transfer their child into the Distance Learning Model by calling 701-323-4101 to register between July 28-July 31 2020 (between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.).

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a teacher. Two things HAVE TO HAPPEN. We have to have face to face instruction. We may have to limit it, and combine it with some distance strategies, but we HAVE to have face to face contact!!

Also, kids need to be held accountable for all the work. 0's for work not done.

There are a lot of options to sort through. But for core classes, Math, English, Social Studies, and Science, we have to abide by those two things.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know last year the daily attendance for students and teachers during the china virus shut down was something I do not desire to see again.

I am a betting man so if there are odds for when a vaccine will be confirmed i would say it'll be available at least a month before the election:cool:

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member

What? You big bully, giving some poor child a zero. Maybe they were having a bad day? I guess they could always protest and burn down the school if they didn't feel it was fair, at least break some windows....that's the new way and we just stand down and let them throw their fit.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
FB_IMG_1596053450036.jpg

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a teacher. Two things HAVE TO HAPPEN. We have to have face to face instruction. We may have to limit it, and combine it with some distance strategies, but we HAVE to have face to face contact!!

There are a lot of options to sort through. But for core classes, Math, English, Social Studies, and Science, we have to abide by those two things.

The accountability for work is huge. Expectations were low last spring with the quick onset of things. This can't become an excuse for students to not do their work or do a poor job at it. Too many want to leverage it.

I agree on the face to face. However, I think the mixed face to face / distance learning poses incredible challenges for parents and childcare. As someone stated earlier, it is really hard to find childcare for two days a week or whatever. Now, not saying it may not come to that, but I think it will be really hard, more so for the younger kids. MS & HS students can take better care of themselves, but the little's can't do that. But doing things 100% virtual is a no go unless it's worst case.

One thing that makes me wonder about this is SD just had a summer camp with 32+ counselors and campers come down with it. If it's like that in schools, we're screwed.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I all ready know there will be a lot of parents who won't send their kids, and attendance policies are going to be flushed. But kids still need to do the work. Teachers and Administration will spend a lot of time just trying to contact the kids who are absent and not doing the work. Then the deadbeats will blame the schools, may even sue. Probably win.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member

I worry that some who say we MUST have in-person learning are some of the first who will blame the schools when the virus hits their family.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I worry that some who say we MUST have in-person learning are some of the first who will blame the schools when the virus hits their family.

When the news breaks of a 7r old dying of corona, will it still be a joke? How many sicknesses are too many?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to be a long row to hoe for most families, It's a good time to be retired with no kids out of the nest if you ask me. Both of our Daughter in laws were teachers that quit teaching to raise their families . One is going to home school The other is going to take it one day at a time and see how it goes.

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
The schools need to have reasonable safeguards in place for teachers, staff and students all while having several backup plans. That being said, I believe the scientific data supports opening of schools for children middle school and younger. Hell, even Bill Gates agrees the benefits outweigh the risks, and he's no tinfoil hat anti government right winger.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/bill-gates-says-schools-should-reopen-despite-covid-19

One topic that confuses me is the, "How many kids have to die" cries which some spew about the 'Rona, which has shown little to no significant impact to young children, while the number of kids not being vaccinated against diseases KNOWN to affect young children (Mumps, Measles, Whooping Cough, etc) is increasing. It's not surprising that US cases of those diseases have been trending upward for the last several years. Those unvaccinated kids have been attending school without the same "How many kids have to die?" and the, "We can't send our kids to school without a vaccine" alarms being sounded.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The schools need to have reasonable safeguards in place for teachers, staff and students all while having several backup plans. That being said, I believe the scientific data supports opening of schools for children middle school and younger. Hell, even Bill Gates agrees the benefits outweigh the risks, and he's no tinfoil hat anti government right winger.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/bill-gates-says-schools-should-reopen-despite-covid-19

One topic that confuses me is the, "How many kids have to die" cries which some spew about the 'Rona, which has shown little to no significant impact to young children, while the number of kids not being vaccinated against diseases KNOWN to affect young children (Mumps, Measles, Whooping Cough, etc) is increasing. It's not surprising that US cases of those diseases have been trending upward for the last several years. Those unvaccinated kids have been attending school without the same "How many kids have to die?" and the, "We can't send our kids to school without a vaccine" alarms being sounded.

Excellent observation!!!!

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
When the news breaks of a 7r old dying of corona, will it still be a joke? How many sicknesses are too many?

or the seven year old that is stuck at home with piece of shit parents that gets beaten and thrown in a closet to starve. Oh ya that happens every day but no big fucking deal. People are absolutely clueless of the atrocities that children face on a daily basis. If you want to keep your kid home do it but don’t sign the death warrant for those kids who want and need to get out of their shitty situation

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75