School Reopening

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
or the seven year old that is stuck at home with piece of shit parents that gets beaten and thrown in a closet to starve. Oh ya that happens every day but no big fucking deal. People are absolutely clueless of the atrocities that children face on a daily basis. If you want to keep your kid home do it but don’t sign the death warrant for those kids who want and need to get out of their shitty situation

Unfortunately this is true. The schools take on societal burdens that only further remove them from their true purpose. It's a necessary thing and I WANT that 7yr. old out of that crappy situation and in school. It's just another element public education wasn't designed for, much like the police having to deal with endless mental illness. Too many places have too many kids who are worse off at home (even subtracting the learning part) than they ever are at school. And that is terribly sad. In education, you are acutely aware of these situations. It's terrible.

I see today that a 3 sports camps at Northern State have cases tied to them now. I think the MS and more likely the HS areas are going to be the biggest areas of breakout and concern. The older students get the more likely they are to contract the virus it seems.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfortunately this is true. The schools take on societal burdens that only further remove them from their true purpose. It's a necessary thing and I WANT that 7yr. old out of that crappy situation and in school. It's just another element public education wasn't designed for, much like the police having to deal with endless mental illness. Too many places have too many kids who are worse off at home (even subtracting the learning part) than they ever are at school. And that is terribly sad. In education, you are acutely aware of these situations. It's terrible.

I see today that a 3 sports camps at Northern State have cases tied to them now. I think the MS and more likely the HS areas are going to be the biggest areas of breakout and concern. The older students get the more likely they are to contract the virus it seems.

my wife worked for cps for seven years her mom just retired from 32 years of teaching the stories they have would almost be unbelievable if you didn’t know better

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing is for sure, schools are going to have to have the option for kids to remain home if the want. Schools will have to provide kids with instruction and include them in discussions, even if at home. But should also provide face to face instruction, at least part time. Some type of face to face contact has to happen IMO, it may be limited, and not like the past, but it has to be available.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Parents, are you concerned that if your kid catches Covid, that it will cause permanent damage? Or are you worried they will bring it home and make you sick? Or something else? I don't have kids in school anymore so can't put myself in your shoes exactly, just wondering what the main concerns are.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm self-employed in healthcare and haven't missed one day of work during all of this. What has me most concerned is if my kids catch it or my wife gets it when she starts teaching again at UND if I am going to have to take two weeks off work, or go stay in a hotel for a couple weeks. I can't see losing half my income for a month, no way!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have kids in school anymore so can't put myself in your shoes exactly, just wondering what the main concerns are.

Orangeman Bad would be the main concern.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm self-employed in healthcare and haven't missed one day of work during all of this. What has me most concerned is if my kids catch it or my wife gets it when she starts teaching again at UND if I am going to have to take two weeks off work, or go stay in a hotel for a couple weeks. I can't see losing half my income for a month, no way!

If you are working daily and especially in healthcare aren't you at an elevated risk of getting it and taking it home to your wife and kids?

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are working daily and especially in healthcare aren't you at an elevated risk of getting it and taking it home to your wife and kids?

Guarantee it, but so far so good (knock on wood). I've been wearing N95 and KN95 masks since March, tons of hand sanitizer, washing hands, wiping everything down, HEPA filters and UVC light, Plexiglas shields, ect.

I know how to use PPE in the right way, most people don't. I get a kick out of how many people touch their face and masks, pretty much useless as soon as you do that without washing your hands first.

Last edited:

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
One topic that confuses me is the, "How many kids have to die" cries which some spew about the 'Rona, which has shown little to no significant impact to young children, while the number of kids not being vaccinated against diseases KNOWN to affect young children (Mumps, Measles, Whooping Cough, etc) is increasing. It's not surprising that US cases of those diseases have been trending upward for the last several years. Those unvaccinated kids have been attending school without the same "How many kids have to die?" and the, "We can't send our kids to school without a vaccine" alarms being sounded.

Great point. The anti-vax movement has perplexed and intrigued me for years and I've watched a few documentaries on it. Absolutely amazing how many people even locally support it. Will be interesting to see what happens to that movement after Covid. Big thing with the diseases mentioned is that in most parts of the country herd immunity washes out the unvaccinated so deaths are rare.

- - - Updated - - -

Very true. Probably just as big a reason for a push to reopen schools as daycare issues. There's a reason the school districts put free lunch handout programs into place before figuring out distance learning plans when schools closed this spring - many kids are barely fed when at home.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great point. The anti-vax movement has perplexed and intrigued me for years and I've watched a few documentaries on it. Absolutely amazing how many people even locally support it. Will be interesting to see what happens to that movement after Covid. Big thing with the diseases mentioned is that in most parts of the country herd immunity washes out the unvaccinated so deaths are rare.

That's an answer to a question Iv'e had for a long time . Where did you read that ?

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member

There is no way in hell I'm getting a vaccination as soon as it comes out. They are rushing it so fast there is no way they can attest to the safety.

- - - Updated - - -

That's an answer to a question Iv'e had for a long time . Where did you read that ?

That's just basic immunology.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bingo. Now tell me why I should volunteer my 2nd grader to be a lab rat. They are not invincible, we are also not. Sending them to school is the same as sendin em to normandy flippin beach. By the time the schools find out there's an outbreak, it will be far spread and too late to try and curb the problem. Then what? Whose to blame when (not if) the shit hits the fan.

you will be the rat lab -- your kid will be fine ---- you guys with kids --- when i had kids and they were in daycare -- i had about every virus known to man that i picked up from them. Now when they hit school they really were not that sick that often. The daycares (like i said on the covid thread back in march) are spewing the virus everywhere. Who gets it -- the older 20somethings and early 30 somethings that have little kids. Hence who is on the list in every state - that age group. Its not the bars ---its kids - Its so documented - but never talked about.

Spread it lets get this done.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right, But I still haven't read one way or the other with covid . So far everything I have read about covid says it's unknown.

I wasn't referencing Covid; just replying to the comment about Measles, Whooping cough, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no way in hell I'm getting a vaccination as soon as it comes out. They are rushing it so fast there is no way they can attest to the safety.

Can't disagree with you on that one. MMR, etc. vaccines on the other hand...

★ Legendary Member
Right, But I still haven't read one way or the other with covid . So far everything I have read about covid says it's unknown.
You won't find it on Covid as its only been around for less the a year.....give it another 9-12months and they might have the data to make the claim.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is going to be interesting to see what will happen. Even if you're not a CNN fan, these are good reads-

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/us/distance-learning-inequality/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/opinions/digital-divide-kids-education-wellness/index.html

Unfortunately too it is proving that kids can still get it and transmit it, though transmission rates seem to be lower with younger kids. But in SD, 60% of those kids who have been tested show symptoms. If you look at the article on Camp Judson, I don't know how that isn't very comparable to a school. 61 cases in a summer camp with 200-300 people there.

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/l...d4a1d1f.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/l...556851a.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Bottom line is when we go back to school it's going to be a roller coaster. I expect several closings through the year, lots of cases, and lots of disruptions. I think it will take a lot to close down whole districts and foresee building by building closures. It sounds like in SD, the Dept. of Health will do the contact tracing and do the recommendations on building closures, etc. I think having them make the call is better than the superintendent or school board, too much local pressure either way. We'll see......

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what’s the death rate of school age children that test positive?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what’s the death rate of school age children that test positive?

Hopefully zero. But, isn't the other half of the question what is the death rate of all the people it will be coming home to? To reiterate, I believe we need to be in school. But people MUST be prepared for kids to get it (they do). Hopefully none die from it. But people also MUST be prepared for more people at home to get it too, and obviously there seems to be a higher rate of death there. It's a reality, it's going to happen. If you want to try to avoid that, distance learning is the best option for you. And it kids go to school, be prepared for distruptions and closures. It's better than a full on shut down, but it will still suck for everyone.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66