School Reopening

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting study out of France, where schools are open and running. It shows that parents are 9 times more likely to transmit the virus to their children than the other way around. Really surprised this information was published on such a liberal site.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...n-don-t-spread-coronavirus-french-study-shows

Hopefully this gives some comfort to those parents that are so worried about little Johnny bringing it home. Also seems like the key to keep outbreaks out of the schools is to focus on the teachers/staff, not the children.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm self-employed in healthcare and haven't missed one day of work during all of this. What has me most concerned is if my kids catch it or my wife gets it when she starts teaching again at UND if I am going to have to take two weeks off work, or go stay in a hotel for a couple weeks. I can't see losing half my income for a month, no way!
I have had kids in summer camp and daycare all summer and we have all been fine. I’m not worried about us though as we are all healthy. The old and high risk just need to isolate from the rest of us for another 8 months, it will suck for the short term but is it worth your life?

Old teachers should have the option to stay home but don’t let them be the reason we don’t have school!

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Read somewhere today how it's funny that adults have failed miserably at social distancing but how we expect kindergartens to figure it out for us

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting study out of France, where schools are open and running. It shows that parents are 9 times more likely to transmit the virus to their children than the other way around. Really surprised this information was published on such a liberal site.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...n-don-t-spread-coronavirus-french-study-shows

Hopefully this gives some comfort to those parents that are so worried about little Johnny bringing it home. Also seems like the key to keep outbreaks out of the schools is to focus on the teachers/staff, not the children.

"The researchers found that 61% of the parents of infected kids had the coronavirus, compared with about 7% of parents of healthy ones, suggesting it was the parents who had infected their offspring rather than the other way around."

So, what I read here is that if the kids are not infected, only 7% of their parents have the infection. However, if the kids are infected, 61% of the parents are infected. And this suggests the infection was most likely passed from the parents to the kids, ehh what?

1. Who gave the infection to the kids whose parents are not infected.

2. A little different spin on this could be that roughly 7% of the adults are careful enough to not pass the infection on to their kids. But if the kids are infected, it would appear the parents have a 61% chance of being infected by the kids.

There is definitely something missing in this article to support their conclusions. Maybe they have some evidence for timing of infections that is not in the article?

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting tidbit I hadn't thought about....our school district, as well as a neighboring one, have ZERO substitutes signed up as of now. Most are older and "at risk". What happens when a teacher gets sick with anything (not specifically covid) or their kid gets sick? Who is teaching class? We have a month to figure it out.....

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think school reopening is going to be a cluster right off the bat and will probably get worse and be faced with closing decisions within the first few weeks. But nothing we can do about it. One of our kids are going to homeschool, They ordered their stuff a month ago. The other is going to see what happens. Right when this all hit the whole school board resigned so if they found replacements they will most likely be struggling with that too.

- - - Updated - - -

Homeschool isn't easy either, Both daughter in laws are/were teachers that quit to raise their family's but they struggled with their own kids . I think trying too hard to be friends rather than teachers is my guess. I told them lets rent a small area away from the home environment and Grandpa will come down and be principle. Funny how they will act up for their parents but when Grandpa says knock it off they pay good attention. Huge difference and I'm sure that's with quite a few families. I was pretty strict with our kids and it's the best for them and they thank me for that now but struggle doing it for their own kids.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
To substitute teach?

I did it many times while I was an administrator. Sometimes I didn't have a sub so I took over the class short term. Not saying I was greatly proficient in all subject areas but could hand out the work provided by the teacher and watch the class.

I now sub occasionally, or did last year, and have informed the school that I would be available for their sub list this year. Be careful and use some common sense.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kid deaths vs covid.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also not stated above is that an average of 500 0-14 yr. olds die from the flu each year.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
At our school we sometimes have to substitute on our preparation period. We get paid extra to do that. But it really makes for a long busy day. We never bring in outside substitutes since they'd have to be federal background check.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I shouldn't say sometimes. We constantly cover for teachers that are gone. And if there's too many teachers gone they just send them all to the gym.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Traxion Bottom line is when we go back to school it's going to be a roller coaster. I expect several closings through the year said:
We've had our kids at large daycare centers all summer that are set up like in school environments. They haven't worn masks or anything additional and we've had no big outbreaks.....

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
My sisters kids in Bloomington, MN work at a daycare and found out that they had been exposed to an adult teacher that was positive but not before they gave it to their parents and their grandparents (my folks). Kids are doing well with only a few headaches. My sister and her husband were down with bad cold like symptoms for about a week but feeling some better now. Both my folks are mid 80’s. My mom didn’t get it too bad but still feeling pretty shitty, my dad who is as strong as a horse is hospitalized and being transferred to one of the Covid units at a different hospital. Not on a vent yet but does have Covid Derived pneumonia in both lungs. I feel good that he’ll pull out just fine but no doubt in my mind that this virus is real and contagious as hell. It won’t change the way I live but I do respect it.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did it many times while I was an administrator. Sometimes I didn't have a sub so I took over the class short term. Not saying I was greatly proficient in all subject areas but could hand out the work provided by the teacher and watch the class.

Sure, it works in small doses especially in small schools. If a teacher needs to be out for 2 weeks the admin isn't going to be able to cover that, they have plenty of other fires to tend to. Not to mention your larger high schools have 100 teachers and 2 or 3 admins.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sure, it works in small doses especially in small schools. If a teacher needs to be out for 2 weeks the admin isn't going to be able to cover that, they have plenty of other fires to tend to. Not to mention your larger high schools have 100 teachers and 2 or 3 admins.

That is all true. Know some teachers in large schools. They never seem to have a shortage of subs. Lot of younger graduates subbing almost daily waiting for an opening on the staff hoping to get hired full-time.

every school, or business for that matter, has issues that need to be dealt with. When I was an administrator I sometimes wondered how important I was as the school never hired a sub for me while I was gone. Let the work pile up and do it when I returned. No need to comment on my importance.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member

It also depends on the administration of the school. From my experience, school politics are as contentious as Dem vs. Rep and can get in the way of what's best for the kids. I'd hope not in this case.

For those who cite how kids aren't affected - it's not about them as much as it is those who live with or have contact with them. If they are infected and pass it to others, it can be deadly. Lapper has a family situation that tells the story.

God speed Lapper - prayers are with you and yours as your dad fights this.

I'm not scared of it, but respect the potential it has to affect lives. Lost my dad to the flu suddenly 2 years ago and understand how quick things can turn with bugs like this.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've had our kids at large daycare centers all summer that are set up like in school environments. They haven't worn masks or anything additional and we've had no big outbreaks.....

You're correct, however I think the data is showing pretty clearly that the 0-10 age kids don't spread at a rate near that of adults. However, the 10-20 age range does spread at nearly the rate of adults. There are several cases of summer camps that did have big outbreaks in this age of kids. But in all reality it doesn't matter if it is a "big outbreak" or not. If someone in Johnny's 1st grade class tests positive, regardless of whether those kids transmit well, at a minimum that class is going to to be disrupted by quarantine. There just simply isn't a way around this and that is why I say it will be a roller coaster no matter what. And with older kids who do spread more effectively, and who won't be kept in class size cohorts, will have more disruptions I think. I "hope" I am wrong, but that is what I am preparing for. It is going to be a challenging school year for students, parents, and teachers.

The other thing I will say, at least in our community, is that we are just now getting to the point of substantial community spread. I believe the shutdown worked and we kept the disease away. Hindsight is 20/20, but at least in my area I think we could have finished school in person in the spring. There just wasn't enough virus around to cause us huge issues. But, it is here now with rapid increases in cases, not to mention a couple hundred thousand out of towners in the area right now. We're just now getting to the point of substantial spread, not unlike NY was when we shut down. Isolation has helped us, but like most new things it takes a lot longer to get to us.

Oh and sub are a huge issue in our area. And even more importantly, para-professionals. Most all of the schools in the area have huge shortages of paras and that will have a HUGE effect on the classroom and learning. Lots of older folks in these jobs just don't want to risk it. All my usual subs have said they are out this year, not going to be doing any subbing.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63