Newish Guy

Jtyped

Greetings Everyone,

I'm originally from Southern MN but have been here in Minot for 4 years now. I've gotten a lot of information from this site so I figured I should return the favor. I'm pretty active year round and prefer fishing/ice fishing, but hunt waterfowl pretty hard as well. Not so huge into the big game stuff. If you see a white F-250 pulling a sparkly silver Lund 189 Tyee GL , that's me (not sure if i'll get crap for this one?). To start off on the right foot I'll throw out a report from yesterday.

Went out of the cabin site on Audubon around 6pm with the wife and mother-in-law chasing bass. Wasn't able to find anything throwing topwaters and hitting deeper weedlines so we tried switching gears for walleye. Was able to get a few small ones ripping jigging raps but nothing crazy. However, in about 25 feet of water I hooked into something BIG. I honestly thought for a brief moment I had the 30+ inch walleye i'm looking for until it made one run. Turned out to be a 10ish lb carp that actually bit the jigging rap, which was the last thing I expected. I initially thought it was snagged but the hook was actually in its mouth, has anyone seen that before?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have but it was many years ago on a fishing trip in Canada, Bit a jig with leech. Never weighed but it was at least in the 10-15# range. good battle, especially when the carp swam to one side of a small island and I was on the other side. had to move the boat to finally land the fish.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Howdy JT and welcome.
We won't hold it against you being originally from MN or for owning a sparkly boat! :;:thumbsup

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Welcome to the "Show" man...I'm in Minot myself...retired military-work civil service out at the base. I fish Audubon quite a bit as well...especially during ice season. I've found that Audubon is very good open water from ice out till about Memorial Day...then bite picks back up nice after Labor Day. I'll look for your silver Lund. I've got a Lund 1875 Impact XS...blue/black.

Jtyped

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm on base as well (active duty), maybe I've seen you around! I'll keep an eye out for the boat. Cheers.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oddly enough, occasionally pick up a carp on a crankbait, on three-ways, in the tailrace. It's odd, in that you're moving at a pretty good clip, and maybe 4 ft off the bottom.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm on base as well (active duty), maybe I've seen you around! I'll keep an eye out for the boat. Cheers.

I work in 5 CONS...black F-150 in the parking lot if you drive by BLDG 165.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
While it's been a few years, I've caught both carp and channel cats on rapala crankbaits. Both have put up great fights and bring a lot of disappointment to the heart when they surface.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76