Schwan's home delivery ENDING

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So this past week, our Schwan's delivery guy said this was his last time he would be stopping at our house, as the company has decided that it would be cheaper and easier to have our Schwan's order Fed Ex'd.

ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDING ME?

Guess Schwan's doesn't believe in personal customer service. So that means they don't need my $. Let's see...at work, a gallon of ice cream is delivered to my front steps in 90° temps when no one is at home. My money is that it will be soft serve or become a milkshake within 30 minutes.

Anybody else hearing the same thing around the state?

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
They just dropped off an order yesterday, didnt mention it. But I'm in Bismarck.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know how it would work thru them but I drive part time for Fedex and I deliver meat bundles and Omaha Steak stuff all the time and that must make it thru. So it could be possible. Fedex has been busy enough since COVID so it will just pile on YAAAAA

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
Man when I was a kid my parents would leave the garage door unlocked and put the order and check on the freezer , guy would come in , put the goodies in the freezer and lock the garage door on his way out .

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So this past week, our Schwan's delivery guy said this was his last time he would be stopping at our house, as the company has decided that it would be cheaper and easier to have our Schwan's order Fed Ex'd.

ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDING ME?

Guess Schwan's doesn't believe in personal customer service. So that means they don't need my $. Let's see...at work, a gallon of ice cream is delivered to my front steps in 90° temps when no one is at home. My money is that it will be soft serve or become a milkshake within 30 minutes.

Anybody else hearing the same thing around the state?
The only reason I buy from Schwans is because they stop at my house. No way I am going to order their food without that at home service. I’ll just order online from a grocery store!

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes they have good ice cream but all the other frozen foods are over priced and not that good IMO. Doesn't bother me if they quit home delivery as I haven't done it in years.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My Schwan's delivery guy just explained that as of now they closed only 15 depots across the nation and the Hettinger depot is one of them. They will phase this in and close depots down. It might be possible that this is a test phase to see how much business increases or decreases. Either way....the delivery guess in SW ND are out of a job. I guess it is UPS that will deliver...not Fed Ex. Apparently it all is on the Schwan's website: https://www.schwans.com I put my zip code and it says my future orders will be delivers by UPS in cooler with dry ice.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a friend up in the hills outside of Keene, ND (East of Watford City) and said they heard about delivery stopping for them, as well. Well, they assumed it meant their home. They called Schwans and the rumor had spread too far, they would NOT be losing delivery service and their next order would be arriving next week.

Word travels fast!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My sister who lives out in the west in the country said her driver was let go and they're sending it some other way. Fed Ex or UPS I guess. Not sure those trucks have any type of freezer compartments? She also said a Korean company now owns most of Shawn's stock. My driver is out of Biz so IDK, he hasn't said a word.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Silver Mint bars from Schwans are soooooooo damn good.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not about Schwan's but the Minot Daily Newspaper went from home delivery to same day delivery by the USPS last Monday, 07/27/20. I'm sure they will lose some customers from that. People want their paper first thing in the am not when their mail is delivered. After all it's all yesterday's news already.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought most of the guys were owner/drivers? Or at least they owned the inventory? Am I wrong there? Seemed like a hard hustle, late nights, knocking on doors. Can't imagine it got any easier with the crap going around.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I thought most of the guys were owner/drivers? Or at least they owned the inventory? Am I wrong there? Seemed like a hard hustle, late nights, knocking on doors. Can't imagine it got any easier with the crap going around.
I don’t think they owned anything as drivers. I actually bought more from them so I didn’t have to go to the store as much.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I hear from our driver, business has never been better since this pandemic hit. More people buying for the convenience of not having to go to a store. Last order I placed looked like most of there items were "currently out of stock". We've had an order delivered by UPS or FEDEX before when our driver was sick. It came in a large styrofoam cooler with dry ice. Maybe it's cheaper for the corporation to ship to more rural areas that way then maintaining their own trucks and drivers.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member

Years back i was told they got a salary and commission for each sale.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Schwan's frozen veggies are the best we have found anywhere. We also like the frozen pizza's. It's not cheap but much cheaper than going out to eat.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I probably would have been more open to the concept if they would have had a scheduled stop time but when I was working nights and trying to sleep during the day and it was a pain in the ass. Had to tell the driver 3 times that if I wanted ice cream I'd let him know so he didn't have to stop and ask. First two times he must have thought I was joking.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years back i was told they got a salary and commission for each sale.

I've seen a few openings for drivers come up and the description of the job says the same, base + commission.

In the era of both parents working being a Schwan's driver/sales has to be tough. Trying to stop by when people are actually home but late enough to not be in the middle of dinner, early enough to not be putting kids to bed. I think I'd be stopping by all of the retirement facilities, at least there'd be more than an unanswered door.

They've got some good products, and the home delivery is convenient but I bet it's REALLY long hours if you're going to make it pay.

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I probably would have been more open to the concept if they would have had a scheduled stop time but when I was working nights and trying to sleep during the day and it was a pain in the ass. Had to tell the driver 3 times that if I wanted ice cream I'd let him know so he didn't have to stop and ask. First two times he must have thought I was joking.
You can order online and they won't stop if you don't order anything. That's how mine works.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So Schwan's will ship in styrofoam cooler with dry ice....what the hell would I do with all the styrofoam coolers, as I can't put into recycle bin since stryofoam is "voodoo" to environmentalist. ;:;rofl

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74