Pressure Washing Hull of Fiberglass Skeeter

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've read that too high of pressure washing fiberglass can remove the gel-coat. I have a Craftsmen washer rated for max. psi of 2550. Is it safe to use it as long as you stay several feel away? Cold water of course. Anyone have experience washing glass with pressure washers?

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Its fine, just don't use the fine spray tip directly against the boat. Glass and Gelcoat are way tougher than most give it credit for. What are you washing off that you need a pressure washer?

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
just being lazy and saving elbow grease. New to pressure washing and wanting to take advantage of it if safe.

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking about using a 25 degree (green) spray tip but keeping my distance and shooting at a fairly flat angel.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Honestly, go get some hotsauce or starbrite hull cleaner and put a little elbow grease into it, it’ll look 10 times better. Unless your trying to remove alge growth From it sitting in the water all summer like a pontoon, that pressure washer isn’t going to do a thing that a regular garden hose will do.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honestly, go get some hotsauce or starbrite hull cleaner and put a little elbow grease into it, it’ll look 10 times better. Unless your trying to remove alge growth From it sitting in the water all summer like a pontoon, that pressure washer isn’t going to do a thing that a regular garden hose will do.

Well if I need shoulder replacement after all that rubbing, I'll be coming after you! :;:

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If it’s just a little scummy and water spots and so forth, hot sauce works great. Spray it on and with little effort it cleans stuff up pretty nice. It’s my go to when the boat starts getting a little dull. They make some ok spray wax also. Starbrite hull cleaner on the other hand is a bit more work. It’s strips everything off so it turns into a cleaning and wax job before your done. If the hull is yellowed though, it’ll bring it back to life and get it back to new!

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks SLE. I might just have some of that stuff. The hull mostly has road dirt and bugs with a bit of dock rash from rubber bumpers. I'm sure it will clean up ok.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
50:50 water/vinegar. Spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes, wipe it off with a clean water soaked sponge. Once the boat is clean, then take some Buffing compound to the dock-rash areas then follow with a protective wax.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was thinking about using a 25 degree (green) spray tip but keeping my distance and shooting at a fairly flat angel.[/QUOTE said:
You wouldn't need to worry until your pressure was up above 3,100psi and were right up against the coating. 2,500 - 2,800psi sprayers are designed for home use and typically won't cause any paint/gel coat problems.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76