Terrova - Flashing F code

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Out of the blue ,this past weekend, I was fishing with bouncers & spinners when my Terrova quit. My remote flashed a "F". As I research online there could be multiple reasons for the error code, most pointing to needed a new control panel, some pointing to a new battery for the remote, and a few more pointing to the connections between the foot pedal and main unit.

Have any of you had this happen? The boat is always covered or garaged, so no weather-type damage would be the culprit. It was working at the time and suddenly just stopped working. I re-deployed the head into the home position and unplugged the power. I started over again by plugging the unit into the socket, deployed the head, and started up the remote. It worked just fine.... for three minutes and it shut off again.

I put a new batter in the remote and tried working it again on Sunday morning. I also pressed the 'learn' button on the power head. I deployed the unit and started the remote and it ran fine.... for three minutes and it shut off gain, flashing the "f" code.

The unit in from 2012. Buy the control panel and install over the upcoming weekend?? $220 online for one of those. Grrrrrr! :mad:

Tillerman2095

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its a network communication error. please call the six mile corner in Garrison We can walk you through the trouble shoot.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
I am trying to limp my Ulterra 2017 model into fall , works great for a day and then the next day every time you try and raise it, it spins until you pull the plug . Straighten it out and try again until it raises . Then the next day it raises to the opposite side it is supposed to .

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Heck with it...just have Carey and Brian at 6 Mile put a brand new trolling motor on for you!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i be honest... for the price a fella pays for these darn things, you wouldn't expect so many gremlin type stories. granted the one in the OP is from 2012.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd call A & G repair in Mandan. Seems like a very knowledgeable and honest guy. Very quick turnaround most of the time (within a day or two).

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too second AG repair. He is quick and knows his stuff when it comes to Minnkotas.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the heads-up on troubleshooting & repair. I'll make contacts and see what minor things (hopefully) can get me by. The control panel at $220 is much more affordable than that $2,600 tag on the Ulterra. Just sayin....

#$%^&>

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
Calling him A.G. in the morning , mine died Saturday at our last spot had to do the manual stow.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spoke with the owner at A&G Repair. The flashing "f" code is NOT the trolling motor, rather a battery issue or on-board charger. The Terrova remote takes a little more juice than the footpad does, which is why the remote goes offline first. I'll be pulling crap out this weekend to reach the charger unit and perform some load tests with the meter. I really suspect it's the electrical boxes at the campground where all of this started. It's the fourth charger issue I've heard of in the past four weeks in the Dakota Waters / Beulah Bay area.

I have a Minnkota 330D unit, so if one bank is bad I'll just switch out the cords and keep the two good banks on the trolling batteries. I doubt it's the inline fuse because the Minnkota website says the fuse line is on the outgoing power cord and that isn't likely the answer. I have Optima 31 size batteries installed so replacing them would be quite a chunk. Minnkota chargers are quite spendy themselves! My bro-in-law just purchased a Duo-Pro three bank for $180 through Amazon. The Minnkota 330D is $280 in comparison.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was also advised that the owner's manual states before charging the batteries to remove the plug-in from the Terrova/Ulterra from the socket. Hmmmm, I've never done that! I guess will have to start doing that?!?!?

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just an observation - I'm seconding what someone else said above. For what these things cost, it's a shame that they don't last years and years and years. I mean, they sit idle what - 50 weeks per year? I mean, they are actually only running very little.

I know they sometimes are asked to take a pounding...

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes they take a pounding, and fine dust from gravel also raises hell with them.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've put only a couple hundred dollars in maintenance into mine over 10 years; considering the use it gets that's pretty good.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Through troubleshooting and direction from A&G Repair (phone) we determined it's the batteries. Taking the two Optima 31-class batteries into Interstate Battery to have a load test done. They are charging okay but when I turn on the unit and use for a few minutes the voltage drops and, hence, I get the fault code on the remote first. Then, later the footpad even goes down.

I don't think I want to pop out the $$$ for another two Optima 31 after only having them four or five years.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
Took mine to A.G. and it was the steering mechanism , not the head but in the base of it, took it in Monday and had it back for the weekend, worked great this weekend .

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
That has to be a good feeling! What did that adjustment cost you?

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
425. all in.

OUCH! Well, I had my Optima 31's load tested last night at Interstate Battery as they carry a 900 load. The guy said they were doing fine, even up to 1,200 load. So, it's NOT my batteries that are the issue. Also placed a new watch battery in the remote. Now, it's down to the Minnkota 330D bank charger not charging like it says it is, the connections from the Terrova plug to the wall plate up front, or the control panel inside the unit. After it cools down tonight I'll go pull the connection on the front panel of the boat and see if there's anything loose inside. Not having a bow mount troller is one tough thing to go without!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75