Dog Grooming

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am surprised on how much hair the brown hound sheds, I have been using the vacuum with a brush attachment but i was wondering what others do for shedding and basic grooming.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I take mine in around Easter every year and get my two springers with a short clip. It isn't cheap but worth it. Also is when I pick up their drops and give them their 1st one of the year. usually only give them two drops maybe 3 a year.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I give him a bath every other week but its crazy how much he sheds, is there a specific brush I should use there is one that is called the furminator that has good reviews, would that one work or is there a different brush I should get.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cut mine super short 3x year. Early spring, mid summer and days before grouse season starts. By March, they are fucking fur balls again.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Never put in dark hardwood flooring with a yellow lab inhouse. For 2 month of the year I clean up an extra dog every day. Where does all that hair come from, dog should be naked in about a week for all the hair I clean up. After a few hour long hair brushing's on the back step with a good brush it get's better.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never put in dark hardwood flooring with a yellow lab inhouse. For 2 month of the year I clean up an extra dog every day. Where does all that hair come from, dog should be naked in about a week for all the hair I clean up. After a few hour long hair brushing's on the back step with a good brush it get's better.

What kind of brush you using

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Its called Furminator. It has metal teeth that are real close together and the head is about 3 inches wide. You dont want to get too agressive with it or you will scratch the skin. Works real well though. LB

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its called Furminator. It has metal teeth that are real close together and the head is about 3 inches wide. You dont want to get too aggressive with it or you will scratch the skin. Works real well though. LB
good to hear that is the one I have been reading about has good reviews

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
I have been using the furminator brushes for several years - the only one that worked on my old boy. The day we put him down I used it on him for an hour - it really cleaned up his fur and helped him to relax. My current pup is a cross between a golden retriever and a bernese mountain dog - lots of hair everywhere and the furminator keeps it under control. LB is correct though - don't use pressure or you will scratch the skin pretty bad.

Redmist

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one like this [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stainless-Pet-Cat-Dog-Comb-Brush-Professional-Large-Dogs-Open-Knot-Rake-Knife/588410055 It work well for DE sheading and small cockaburs.

And for the large ones use a horse main and tail deburring knife. Two must have tools for a long hair dog. Cuts the burrs out with out pulling so much on the hair.

[/FONT]

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
on the hardwood thing... way better than carpet, imho. i would rather be sweeping it from hardwood than vacuum it from carpet. when we remodeled, all carpet went away. if you've ever pulled up carpet and had pets, you will understand. i will never have carpet with pets again.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I give him a bath every other week but its crazy how much he sheds, is there a specific brush I should use there is one that is called the furminator that has good reviews, would that one work or is there a different brush I should get.

We used that one on our chocolate lab when she was still with us. It worked well but only go with the grain of the hair and don't push very hard as it is sharp to their skin. You will be amazed at how much hair you get even if you do it every other day. Zoey used to just love it when we brushed her with it and when we were done she would go and roll around for a minute or two. Guessing it made her itch somewhat.

Bohica

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scotch comb for horses works well for our lab. You can be aggressive and not scratch the skin. Funny how you can get the leg thumping when you find that perfect itchy spot

Last edited:

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, the curry comb (like used with horses) is a u-shaped metal band with teeth, smaller comb on one side and larger comb on the other. I use it on my choco lab every week even though it's really a pronounced shed from May - July. It will slow down now that the temps begin their slow decline. I have one hanging in the garage and one at the camper. As soon as I pull it down from the garage hook my dog knows what is going on and will just lay down on the driveway, absolutely loves it! Of course, he also get a Milkbone after the combing so it becomes even more enjoyable for him cooperating.

Back in late May I would think I was sheering a sheep. Amazing how much floats away in the breeze.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
use the fuminator on the dog also. works well try to do it once a month or whenever it starts getting bad. We also take him in to have him de-shedded everytime wife's mop dog needs a hair cut and that really seems to work. Think it only costs us like $45 for that, trim nails and a bath when he is done.

tucker.jpg

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where does a person go to get your dog deshedded at?
I also bought the furminator and can tell a big difference already

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Where does a person go to get your dog deshedded at?
I also bought the furminator and can tell a big difference already

we take him to Pet Place in bismarck. usually ends up get getting deshedded 3-4 times a year.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
we take him to Pet Place in bismarck. usually ends up get getting deshedded 3-4 times a year.
so any pet grooming place can do it can a person do this procedure at home? I live in a small town so it may be inconvenient

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
so any pet grooming place can do it can a person do this procedure at home? I live in a small town so it may be inconvenient

I believe so. I have never been there when they do it, usually just drop him and the mop dog off and come back a couple hours later and he is done. I think they use something like the furminator but do way better job than i do. Also i hate trimming the nails and they will clip and smooth them out. Its a win win for me. lol Honestly best $45 spent, and I can really tell a difference.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75