Founding Member
Founding Member
Season opens in sept coming to our area hopefully soon

Fall cormorant hunt widely applauded

cache.php
8/5/20

'They will definitely eat walleye'

cache.php
The province will introduce a fall hunting season for double-crested cormorants starting in September in an attempt to protect fish stocks and natural habitats.

Natural Resources and Forestry Minister John Yakabuski made the announcement Friday in Fenelon Falls, northwest of Peterborough, following a series of public consultations dating back to 2018.

The bird can eat up to a pound of fish a day and nests on the ground and in trees on islands and in peninsulas.

It’s known to damage vegetation with its droppings, or guano, due to its acidity which, in turn, can affect nesting habitats for other colonial waterbirds.

The cormorant also has been cited as a possible cause behind declining fish stocks in Lake Nipissing.

We’ve heard concerns from property owners, hunters and anglers, and commercial fishers about the kind of damage cormorants have caused in their communities, so we’re taking steps to help them deal with any local issues,” Yakabuski said.

The hunting season will run annually from Sept. 15 to Dec. 31.

Yakabuski says a fall season will avoid interference with recreational users of waterways and nesting periods for some migratory birds.

The maximum number of cormorants a hunter can take also has been set at 15 per day, down from 50 initially, similar to the limit set for federally-regulated migratory game birds such as mourning doves, Snow and Ross’s geese, rails, coot, and gallinules.

A survey performed last year by the ministry and partner agencies on cormorant colonies across the Great Lakes and certain inland lakes in Ontario estimated the number of breeding cormorants to be at least 143,000 in 344 colonies.

Although some hunters may choose to consume the bird, the province advises those who choose not consume what they harvest to dispose of it properly.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Uhh, Nipissing is in Ontario. As is this article. Do you have some other article that talks about being able to shoot cormorants in the U.S. that is a bit more relevant to ND/MN cormorant populations?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry allen never herd of nippissing,was a little giddy about the purposed season/hunt

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't imagine anyone eating one of these shit birds,few years ago the minn dnr shot a bunch nesting pairs on leech lake,500 to be exact,piled the birds up on shore for critters to eat,none came so they buried em

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
pretty sure seasons been open year round in north dakota for years....

From Fishing FAQ on ND Game & Fish website:

Are cormorants really a problem, and if so, what can the North Dakota Game and Fish Department and the public do to help alleviate the problem?
The North American population of double-crested cormorants has grown dramatically in the past few decades, and these birds have caused serious economic and recreational damage in many states. North Dakota is no different, as trout and panfish populations have been severely reduced in some lakes. Cormorants can and do eat more than a pound of fish per day, and when a large flock of these birds concentrates on a fishing lake, they can cause significant damage in a short period of time. However, it should be noted that cormorant problems are typically localized and they certainly do not impact all fishing lakes in the state.
Because cormorants are protected by the federal Migratory Bird Act, the public is not allowed to harvest (shoot, etc.) cormorants for any reason. The Department has been able to obtain a depredation permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service that does allow some control of cormorants.
Unfortunately, much more needs to be done before cormorants are no longer a serious threat to some fish populations. What is needed is more federal regulation relaxation in years to come to allow for thoughtful cormorant population reductions.
cormorant population reductions.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry allen never herd of nippissing,was a little giddy about the purposed season/hunt

No problem, I do know they had permission in MN a couple years ago to use govt personnel to shoot some cormorants, maybe up on Leech Lake, not sure. I just don't think there's been any progress in getting to the point where ND/MN outdoorsmen will be allowed to kill them without fear of some pretty severe repurcussions.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The coots must be really excited? All of a sudden they aren't the "bottom of the barrel" anymore!;:;rofl

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't imagine anyone eating one of these shit birds,few years ago the minn dnr shot a bunch nesting pairs on leech lake,500 to be exact,piled the birds up on shore for critters to eat,none came so they buried em

A former co-worker of mine once upon a time worked @ the Garrison ND fish hatchery. They had a permit to shoot limited numbers of gulls and cormies. After the shoot they'd pile them up. The seagulls would get eaten by coyotes, fox, skunks, coons, etc. According to him, nothing would touch the cormies.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
wonder what would have to be done to get them to varmint status like a crow??? i don't know of any damage a crow does and that's how they are classified...

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
wonder what would have to be done to get them to varmint status like a crow??? i don't know of any damage a crow does and that's how they are classified...

It's a federal Migratory Bird Act that covers ducks, geese, swans, etc., etc. so you would have your work cut out for you getting it thru Congress and getting it signed by the President. Trump would probably sign it but no liberal, environmental President would.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If we could get cormies to start sitting in the trees in the Hampton's making their racket and pooping all over the showplaces there'd be a season on them by 9/1.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have Cormies been around ND forever ? I saw my first one at Devils lake about 40 years ago but not here until about about 10 years ago. We still don't have many but we didn't used to have any. Population explosion ?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
We didn't have wild Turkeys and Turkey vultures AKA buzzards and Pine marten here either when I was growing up .

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, that's part of the problem. With federal protection their numbers have increased significantly.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
looks like these cormmies harvested eat pretty well in our lakes

cormorant- (2).jpg

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Crows" last I checked hunters in the states are regulated by seasons for shooting crows/hunting law states "unless doing damage or about to do damage" before fields are harvested here in mn, month of august is open season,then again in october,reason i've read for ;imited season the crow is mexico's national bird....

These some beeches sure kill alot of song birds/nests at my place every summer,and harrass the owls and hawks to no end when they spot em in my pine trees,smart birds,they learn quick

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
If these things eat a pound a fish a day, imagine what a pelican eats.

- - - Updated - - -

The numbers of both species have exploded. I never seen any cormorants when I was a kid and very few pelicans. Now I see them everywhere. Cormorant Lives Don’t Matter!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75