470" public land bull taken

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not much of a "hunt" IMO more like an execution. That bull didn't have a chance with a fricking circus following him for weeks. Guess if that's what it's like to be a billionare "hunter" I'm glad I'm not one. I also wouldn't want to be one of those "circus clowns" either. To each their own I suppose.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m always conflicted on these things. I don’t have a problem with the auction tags at all, I just don’t consider it much of a hunt for the actual “shooter” which is what the guy is, not a hunter. The only “guide” thing I’ve ever done are a couple pheasant hunts through work, and although we were still hunting wild birds and it was a decent time, I still felt weird at the end.

PS: JJ subs are terrible, i've never understood why somebody would choose to eat there over any other sub or burrito place. They make poop, and thats about the best i can say about the place.

Last edited:

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like his shops. I am glad he is a hunter/conservationist. We need guys like him. But I expected a bit more. He did acknowledge he didnt do the hunting, which i appreciate.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m always conflicted on these things. I don’t have a problem with the auction tags at all, I just don’t consider it much of a hunt for the actual “shooter” which is what the guy is, not a hunter. The only “guide” thing I’ve ever done are a couple pheasant hunts through work, and although we were still hunting wild birds and it was a decent time, I still felt weird at the end.

PS: JJ subs are terrible, i've never understood why somebody would choose to eat there over any other sub or burrito place. They make poop, and thats about the best i can say about the place.

JJ subs are amazing compared to every other sub place i have been.

Shooter, hunter, killer or dealer of fucking death its all the same the animal is dead and done in a legal manner i dont really give a shit.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
20 guides watching the elks every move. Big jimmy slept in and rode his mule up to the ridge after they had him glassed up. Then shot him at 1k yards. Then all 20 guys were at the dead bull taking pics and had him scored before big jimmy got down there on his mule.

what a classic and dream elk hunt....

awesome public land bull none the less.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
The approximately 6yo boy down at the kill site before JJ got their kinda made me chuckle...

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

JJBLT, best cold sammich ever, anywhere. Only thing that'd be better is if JJ did a PB&J.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Indeed,dandy bull and sheep,My 1st job in alaska wilst waiting to get in with a oil crew on the slope,was working at the airfield (merrilfield) in anchorage,late summer all the big gamers mostly european trophy hunters coming and going via air travel,this back in late 80's,the grand slam was $50k for starters,can't imagine the fee's today.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
The joke is on all of us. Not only are we drooling over Jimmy’s elk but now I want a sandwich.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just finished watching the video. I will say Jimmy was very modest, gave all the credit to the guides. Talked a little about the shot and Gunwerks.

Was a heck of a shot and he surrounded himself with good hunters and guides.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have zero problems with this hunt. Jimmy paid a bunch for the tag and that will go towards conservation. He paid wages for a bunch of guides. Killed the bull on public land. He was very humble about the whole experience and gave credit towards the guides. Look at how happy all those guys were. You could tell they were happy to be a part of a hunt where a 470 inch bull was killed on public land. Congrats to Jimmy and the rest of the hunter/guides. Its something none of them will forget.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have zero problems with this hunt. Jimmy paid a bunch for the tag and that will go towards conservation. He paid wages for a bunch of guides. Killed the bull on public land. He was very humble about the whole experience and gave credit towards the guides. Look at how happy all those guys were. You could tell they were happy to be a part of a hunt where a 470 inch bull was killed on public land. Congrats to Jimmy and the rest of the hunter/guides. Its something none of them will forget.

Absolutely.
To say they were tipped extremely well would be an understatement! :;:thumbsup

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm torn on this bull - someone had to do the "hunting" (the outfitter and guides) and apparently they did a great job, various reports of watching this bull daily/weekly for 1-3 months prior to this bulls due date. The other half of me is kind of disappointed that a bull of this caliber was harvested 1. By a guy who essentially bought this bull and had a crew of folks do the hunting for him (he did execute on the shot, albeit I don't like that it was 1000 yards) 2. The bull was harvested before he was able to pass his genetics on this year. Overall, Mr. Liautaud seems like a pretty good dude, a success story who has donated a lot of money to good causes. Congratulations to him on a fantastic bull and for giving credit where it was due.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66