2020 Sheep In The Books

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
can you explain a little more on the judging of the ram and what specifically you are looking for. thanks and congratulations on an awesome trip.

they have to be full curl or broomed on both sides or a certain age which you have to count annual rings. I can’t remember the age. It’s a really big deal if you shoot a sub legal ram. No room for mistakes.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have you had issues with guides up there in the past? I find it amazing that, in a state as expansive and seemingly uncharted as AK, hunters still find a way to crowd each other out. My guess it has something to do with topography, general access, and units/availability of huntable sheep numbers. But still, wild to think about.

The resident/guide conflicts are almost exclusively related to sheep hunting and Kodiak bears. Guiding concessions are limited on state land, but they are not regulated. So there may be 3 guides permitted within an area (OTC area not a draw area), but the number of sheep they’re allowed to take within that area is not limited. So three guides could each have 5 other guides under them all hunting an area and each of them does 3 hunts a season. As ATV trails creep further into the backcountry and a great economy makes air charters more feasible for the average guy, there are more and more conflicts.

There are actual guiding concessions on federal lands. So the feds will specify a single guide operation an exclusive zone. They also put a very conservative quota on the area which allows for equal resident opportunities and increases the trophy quality. If you or anyone you know ever books an AK sheep hunt, book an outfitter with a federal concession (unless you’re hunting a draw area of course).

The residents of AK are getting fed up with it and a group - Resident Hunters of Alaska (RHAK) - gains more speed every year. We finally have full time lobbyists in Juneau fighting for our resident rights. They just want the same system on state land that is in place on federal lands. And quite honestly, most of the good guides want the same system. There are several reports of big winter kills coming in, so I think within the next 5 years with the resident’s voice getting louder and less sheep available, we will finally see the change.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is hunting. A guy can dream....

I'm young enough to save for this hunt as a non resident, but I seriously doubt I could write the check when the time came. Kids. College. Priorities. Thinking along those lines.

But, get busy living, or get busy dying!

This is exactly how I feel. I would love a trip like this or a Yukon moose but I think I would have a brain aneurysm writing that check out.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
can you explain a little more on the judging of the ram and what specifically you are looking for. thanks and congratulations on an awesome trip.

A ram needs to be full curl on at least one side. There area three ways to pass full curl test - perfect circle, tip/base horn angle, and a stick test. They are also legal if they are at least 8 years old and/or are missing both lamb tips. The F&G came out with a really helpful guide a few years ago if you’re interested. https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/...ng_sheep_horns_under_full_curl_regulation.pdf

this ram was pretty clearly 7 years old and had lamb tips so I had to wait until he gave me a good angle to view his horn at the proper angle. I could clearly see he passed the angle test so I took the shot. Having a good spotting scope and a phonescope really helps! This ram is legal on his right side by tip/base angle test and perfect circle test. He is not legal on his left side (even though it’s an inch longer). He does not pass the stick test.
CED06506-5BC2-4123-BEF9-832BAA1F313E.jpg

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome write-up, as usual, Wild Bill. Thanks for the pictures of the hunt and video of the shot on Saturday morning. As mentioned before, it made me feel a bit inferior as well, while I sat on the beach at Shadehill reservoir eating a giant breakfast burrito and having a cup of morning coffee haha.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Awesome write-up, as usual, Wild Bill. Thanks for the pictures of the hunt and video of the shot on Saturday morning.
I got a notification on my phone today that it’s been 5 years since you were up here drinking coffee on my porch! I wish I could load up the kill shot on here. We will see how bored I get this winter, I got a lot of great footage on this hunt and might put something together on YouTube or something.

Nmariner

Established Member
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime!!!

Is sheep meat as amazing as they claim it is?

Im not jealous at all...

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fantastic retelling. Lots of hard work to that hunt. 15 yards to a griz of any size is too close, damn.

- - - Updated - - -

The resident/guide conflicts are almost exclusively related to sheep hunting and Kodiak bears. Guiding concessions are limited on state land, but they are not regulated. So there may be 3 guides permitted within an area (OTC area not a draw area), but the number of sheep they’re allowed to take within that area is not limited. So three guides could each have 5 other guides under them all hunting an area and each of them does 3 hunts a season. As ATV trails creep further into the backcountry and a great economy makes air charters more feasible for the average guy, there are more and more conflicts.

There are actual guiding concessions on federal lands. So the feds will specify a single guide operation an exclusive zone. They also put a very conservative quota on the area which allows for equal resident opportunities and increases the trophy quality. If you or anyone you know ever books an AK sheep hunt, book an outfitter with a federal concession (unless you’re hunting a draw area of course).

The residents of AK are getting fed up with it and a group - Resident Hunters of Alaska (RHAK) - gains more speed every year. We finally have full time lobbyists in Juneau fighting for our resident rights. They just want the same system on state land that is in place on federal lands. And quite honestly, most of the good guides want the same system. There are several reports of big winter kills coming in, so I think within the next 5 years with the resident’s voice getting louder and less sheep available, we will finally see the change.

Sounds like things are moving in the right direction with all that - I don't think I'll ever benefit from it, but sounds like a very well thought out method of management

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For those that were interested, my brother put together a very short video from this hunt. It’s hard to do it justice, but he did a pretty good job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=0Ddj0DOWJqc

Sounds like the trip of a lifetime!!!

Is sheep meat as amazing as they claim it is?

Im not jealous at all...

Thanks man, hope you’re doing well!
I think the meat is great, but my wife is convinced that sheep’s hunters just say that to make them fell good about the madness they endure.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67