Homeowners insurance recommendations

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nodak Mutual
Annual cost of $1,891 for $329,689 on home, $247,267 on contents and $98,000 on loss of use. Replacement cost on home and contents with $1,000 deductible. (one needs to have replacement cost on your policy)
Build in 83 with 2500 square feet and attach double garage, two story.

Feel in this town market sale price would be $150-175,000 (all new windows, carpet, shingles and siding. remodel kitchen within the last few years). To build based on some new homes just build maybe a touch under $300,000 and no lot cost. Still need to pay someone to get rid of old house.

Yes every year the coverage goes up.

One claim in 15 years. Part of cedar fence blew down. Call adjuster and he ask what i thought. I said a new fence would be nice and he said find out price. To tear old down and new plastic it was $7,500. Send me a check, never did come up and look and i got to keep all the cedar post and boards. Did most of work myself so less than $7,500 cost.
So have never check elsewhere but i think it may be high cost but great service. Let me know.

Asked about getting paid $247,000s on contents in case of lost and replacement coverage and agent has no answer. Have quit a few thousand in guns that are cover for all except for theft. But they are in safe or bolted to wall with chain.
I would think in town i would not have a 100% loss from fire but a tornado could do the 100%. Wife could have a hayday.

If it was to have full coverage one needed to insure at 80% of cost to fix and not sure if that is still the rule but cost of coverage is based on how much insurance one has.
Over the years i feel the adjustor can make or break the outcome. Agent can be a big part of it too. Had some poor adjustors and told one to hit the road within the first few minutes of him coming into the house.
Hope this helps. db-2

- - - Updated - - -

Have $500,000 liability for $17 and at may age i should get an umbrella coverage for at least a million. db

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Insurance companies are a bitch no doubt. A few years back had a bad hail storm come through the yard. Hail was 3" plus. One half of the house roof that was west facing was trashed, the east facing was not as bad but still damaged. Our company at that time would only pay for half a roof. Even though our camper that was parked 20' away and was insured by a different company than the house was completely totaled out. So we payed the difference on the roof out of ourselves and left that company. Found some different house coverage and had trouble getting contractors getting the roof done so had the new company about 18 months before the new roof was completed. So when I pay for the roof I take my proof of completion to my agent so I am able to prove I had new shingles if I get hammered again. After I let them know I had new shingles they raised my premiums by $200 WTF. I don't see how they can raise your premium when u put new shingles on like that when they don't pro rate your premium down as your shingles depreciate out and they wont pay out 100% but are still willing to take 100% of your premium.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would send an email to insurance commissioner and ask about that

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Brown eye

yes you got taken and I have had the same issues on a few claims but after a few phone calls have come outright in the end. Should of cover whole roof however if did not have replacement coverage they will deprectate the loss. One friend was told his Sheetrock was over twenty years old so no coverage for that from the fire. Agent needs to help out if he wants to keep getting his share of the premium. Db

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Db,you can get a supplement on your firearms as I did for theft as I travel alot with my firearms,my home owners maxed out at $5k,which only covers one barrel on my shotgun,just a thought,sadly we all need home owners but one needs to shop around ,get complacent and they'll put the screws to ya.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, it's a ~3,000 sqft bi-level with nothing terribly fancy. I doubt very much 496,000 is the right coverage (that's just for the main structure, personal belongings and other stuff are separate). I couldn't sell the place for that, and it's on a 2 acre lot in an area where 1 acre lots go for over 100,000.

$496,000/3,000= $165.33/sqft. That is pretty spot on.

Biggest thing you need to pay attention to on any Ins Policy is if its ACV (actual cash value) or RC (Replacement Cost). Replacement cost insurance policy's are going to cost you more premium, but are going "replace" it if something were to ever happen. Actual cash value policy's are going to pay you on what the agreed "actual cash value" was, which possibly isn't going to cover replacing it with a "new" one.

My suggestion is it's always better to over insure than under insure. No one ever needs good insurance coverage, until they actually NEED IT.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Snow:
the cost to insure from thief is really high until they get stolen.
so have not added and hopefully the safe is secure enough for those inside. I imagine the chains on the wall holding the guns can be overwritten quickly but hopefully they do not bring those tools.
banking on my security system to help out along with some luck not to have visitors. But they have been in my yard three times and took. Db

- - - Updated - - -

Have five kids that will get them one day and have given some but maybe it is time to give the rest so I do not have to be concern except what they may do with them. But they will be there's. Db

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gee db my supplement for my firearms cost me $15/yr ,I'm a cheap sob but one of my babies alone is $20k so gives me piece of mind wilst on the road,folks at most ranges I attend are mindful of our equipment and new commers but ya never know who lurks

Last edited:

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Funny switched homeowners insurance, after the umpteenth increase for same coverage this one was 400 more a year, switched July 2, have yet to hear from my old agent, that is how much they cared about my account

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ihad farmers for years,as stated above price hike every year agent told me with all the natual disasters nation wide we have phony up,then he said if I had a good personel credit score he might be able to shave a couple 100 off my premium,f that!shopped landed with travelers,same coverage,same deductable,$800/yr less.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Snow:
Called agent

To increase liability from 500,000 to million cost 8 dollars per year on home and 68 dollars per year on four vehicles so said to add.

50,000 dollars of theft coverage on weapons would add 1,000 dollars to cost so can buy another safe for that so did not take out. Nodak is just higher it seems for theft on guns. db

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
db,agreed,good move on your part to upgrade.,curious is your gun safe fire and water proof? thinking incase of a fire .

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Snow
fire to some extend i have no knowledge but there are four inch and a half holes on bottom so not waterproof but then i am as i understand cover for that on all guns. so in case of a big fire i am sure the safe is not fireproof but have some other things in it that would burn easily that are not cover and amount to more than the gun value in the safe. they are in a fireproof box inside the safe so maybe??

Winchester safe holds about 15-19 guns. Do not care for the safe as i have rust issues. kinda ended when i put a rust block shield in it along with the heater. So overall, hopefully, all is well, lasted this long. Just need to give the guns to the kids so they get spread around around with a safe deposit box at bank for other things.

Sometimes i think i have more concern with the guns with our government than other perils. Most have no records on them. db

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gotcha,I'm considering up grading my safe,want fire proof,water proof,but dragging my feet,spendy upgrade.plan on moving outof minn soon so on the back burner for now.

talking firearms,are you folks in north dakota having a rim fire ammo shortage ?tuff go in my state,gun sales are up 100% from last year,ammo supply is dwindling by the day

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guys at work were talking about this subject last year. Asked what I paid and I had no idea, just knew it went up every year. They were all paying around 1000-1300 and had homes worth twice what mine was worth.
Found out i was paying almost 3 grand!
I went shopping, found the same coverage for 1150.
Guess next time I'll pay a little more attention to the increases, but when it's a famy member on the wife's side it makes things a little more tricky! Ha ha

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guys at work were talking about this subject last year. Asked what I paid and I had no idea, just knew it went up every year. They were all paying around 1000-1300 and had homes worth twice what mine was worth.
Found out i was paying almost 3 grand!
I went shopping, found the same coverage for 1150.
Guess next time I'll pay a little more attention to the increases, but when it's a famy member on the wife's side it makes things a little more tricky! Ha ha

Would you care to mention what company you went through for those savings ?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My kid switched from American family to nodak two weeks ago. Identical coverage was $125 less a month

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been very happy with Nodak insurance. Roof replaced two weeks ago, new gutters this week. Have had them for close to 20 years, and they've been great.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77