Homeowners insurance recommendations

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently paid off my mortgage, so now it's time for me to pay for insurance directly instead of the bank doing it via escrow.
I looked at the bill and said "holy shit, that's twice what I signed up for 10 years ago".
It seems upon renewal each year, the insurance company has been incrementally (arbitrarily?) increasing my coverage (and therefore my premiums), to a point where I am way over-insured.

Question 1: Is it "normal" for insurance companies to do that?
-- My coverage on the main structure is now 150-200K higher than what I believe it would cost to rebuild it. They increased my coverage 69K from just last year.

Question 2: Can anyone recommend a "good" insurance company?

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
My wife is a insurance comparison freak. We've switched insurance every few years because of rate hikes and poor service. We jumped in with American National which is regional versus national and are very pleased with both rates and service. Been with them for almost 4 years and really are satisfied. Its nice not to see a rate hike when the east coast gets hit with a hurricane!

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if there wasn't some type of inflation rider on the policy where they bump the coverage up assuming value is increasing. No clue though

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is actually costs to rebuild is most likely a much different number than what you believe it costs and what it should cost.
Insurance sucks, until you need it.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
Get a quote from an independent agent and have then get you a quote with Auto Owners Insurance. A++ rated carrier and I saved a bundle putting everything I insure with them. House , cabin, boat, umbrella , vehicles etc and then pay it all once a year

For any of you that don't have an Umbrella policy , buy one , it is the cheapest insurance you can buy and could save your assets if a big claim

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is actually costs to rebuild is most likely a much different number than what you believe it costs and what it should cost.
Insurance sucks, until you need it.
Well, it's a ~3,000 sqft bi-level with nothing terribly fancy. I doubt very much 496,000 is the right coverage (that's just for the main structure, personal belongings and other stuff are separate). I couldn't sell the place for that, and it's on a 2 acre lot in an area where 1 acre lots go for over 100,000.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not saying this to be an ass, but don't you pick your own insurance when you have a loan and they in turn send you and the bank an invoice to be paid out of the escrow? You should at least get a insurance policy from the insurance company once a year when your premium is due stating how much coverage you have and the cost of said coverage. When I bought my 2018 pickup the company I was with for 6 years sent me a new policy and they had increased my insurance $1700. Needless to say they aren't my insurance provider any longer.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, it's a ~3,000 sqft bi-level with nothing terribly fancy. I doubt very much 496,000 is the right coverage (that's just for the main structure, personal belongings and other stuff are separate). I couldn't sell the place for that, and it's on a 2 acre lot in an area where 1 acre lots go for over 100,000.

not factoring in the jump in lumber I would say your almost double what it would cost new going of recent square foot prices

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No complaints from Auto-Owners as well as my agent.

Cost to rebuild. Talk to a contractor. I'm pretty sure you will be surprised at what it can cost. I would say $100/sq. ft. is minimum so 3000 sp ft is $300,000. And minimum is bare bones in my opinion. Also agree with the umbrella policies, lots of liability coverage at not much cost. Like most insurances, if you can afford to rebuild yourself, you might not need insurance. Want to take that chance?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
New houses are running $160-200 a sq ft. I was with American family for seven years. When I built my new house I shopped. I saved about $1800 a year for about 250k more insured replacement cost value with Nodak mutual. Now called nodak insurance. They blew everybody away

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also have Nodak insurance and have been very happy with the way they have treated me. Moved into my new house in 2002 and had a big hail claim before I even paid my first premium. I've had 3 or 4 big hail and wind claims since 2002 on my buildings and vehicles and they paid fast and very fairly. I'm not sure how my house premium compares with other companies but 4 or 5 years ago I took my vehicle insurance policies to all the big well known companies and asked the agents if they could save me any money. Got full coverage on 3 vehicles an RV and a boat and a horse trailer and my premium is $96 per month total. A couple of the companies said they might be able to beat the price on one vehicle or other but couldn't even come close on all of them together. I also have a farm and ranch policy that covers my machinery, horses, tools and equipment that costs $320 a year. Everything in the house is insured at replacement value and when lightning struck my house several years ago they paid for a new TV, phone system, video recorder and TV antenna all at current prices not the value of the old stuff. Always get replacement value insurance. It costs only a small amount more but it is well worth it.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can’t beat that. That’s all you can expect of an insurance company

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
What is RAM Mutual's financial rating , It should be A or better for peace of mind , call your agent to find out

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74