Kicker advice?

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
My two cents-efi is a must. I point the kicker straight and use my trolling motor to fine tune speed and steer.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great thread !! Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge.

I have same boat as Op and I've pretty much settled on the Suzuki 9.9

One thing I liked about ythe Suzuki was the 12 amp alternator, the others have 6.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just ordered a Suzuki 9.9. From all the reading I did the Suzuki seemed like a hell of a buy and you can get EFI on the Suzuki 9.9s where that isn’t an option on the Mercs unless you jump up to the 15hp pro kicker, I could be wrong on that. The price difference was substantial enough to make me order the Suzuki over the merc to match my big motor.

Last edited:

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just ordered a Suzuki 9.9. From all the reading I did the Suzuki seemed like a hell of a buy and you can get EFI on the Suzuki 9.9s where that isn’t an option on the Mercs unless you jump up to the 15hp pro kicker, I could be wrong on that. The price difference was substantial enough to make me order the Suzuki over the merc to match my big motor.

Where did you order you Suzuki and what options did you go for?

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went the online route. Onlineoutboards.com $2775 with free shipping for a 9.9 efi with power trim,electric start and controls at the helm.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow I was quoted 3600 for a pro kicker 9.9 electric start and tilt (no controls)

Yeah I called around and got a few quotes for a pro kicker with controls and everything else with installation and everything it would have been over $5k. I get it but that’s why I went the Suzuki route. $3k for the motor, mount plate and tie rod.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you learn to use the electric troller off the bow, and use directional setting, you'll be able to tie knots, see all rods, and watch sonar. I sit in the very back or front, mostly back. I put a towell over steering wheel and seat to make shade for my old dog.

I do use my electric this way and like it most of the time. However, when it comes to real boat control, the tiller is by far superior. Not easier, certainly more work, but way better. if you have to tight countour troll leadcore for example, the tiller wins hands down. You can turn quick, speed up to get the lines to rise, etc. very quickly. On the flip side, if I'm trolling a big flat, put the kicker in gear and the Minn Kota down and go. The one thing I will argue forever is having to look back at the rods from the driver's seat purely sucks, in any condition. I hate spinning back and forth, looking over my shoulders all day long. When you're running a tiller its all right in front of you.

- - - Updated - - -

I went the online route. Onlineoutboards.com $2775 with free shipping for a 9.9 efi with power trim,electric start and controls at the helm.

I bought mine there and was super happy!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 99
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62