Kicker advice?

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking at putting a kicker on my Impact 1775. What motor should a guy look for? Would it be worth trying to find a used one? I'm thinking I'll keep it simple and avoid a second set of controls if possible. Any advice and/or pictures of setups you all have would be greatly appreciated!

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thought about one as well...I have an 1875 Impact...but don't know a damn thing about them? What does a 9.9hp weigh...effect on speed/handling. Price to buy new...have it rigged? I'll be following this one Buck!

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 9hp and 9.9hp are most common. I have them hooked up in tandem and separate controls. My previous boat they were not and I'll never do that again! I like operating the kicker from my console, otherwise I'd be stuck in the back for everything. Steering is one thing, but there's also the amount of speed one needs to go when pulling cranks. I have the Troll Master attachment and it's a "must" if you do pull cranks, IMHO.

I think new motors, installed, are about $4,200 range. Jeff's Outboards usually have used models for about $2k.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
either the suzi or yamaha. Can't really go wrong with either.

So that being said, is there an "unwritten" rule about putting a kicker brand on your boat that doesn't match your big motor? Aside from the obvious of it looking a little weird!

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
So that being said, is there an "unwritten" rule about putting a kicker brand on your boat that doesn't match your big motor? Aside from the obvious of it looking a little weird!

I don't know about any rules but I'm pretty sure the fish can tell (particularly walleyes). Also heard they prefer EFI kickers cause carbs are "so 20th century".

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also have the 1775 w/115 and been debating this lately with a buddy. I think a guy can get away with even a little 6hp. It depends what ya want/need but, the 1775 is a rather light boat. If a 9.9 will push a big fiberglass imagine how it would push the lund. Call me cheap, but i think im slappin the smaller kicker on without controls or anything. Lock er in place and go. Half price without all the bs bells and whistles.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kicker advice......GET ONE! Put troll master on it, and link it too main motor too steer. Oh make sure it's a 4 stroke, that should go without saying.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to be the black sheep here. Agree on a 9.9, Zuke or Yamaha. However, after going from a tiller steer to console, I prefer the tiller. Tiller advantage is instant throttle control and steering. All you do is twist the throttle and you can turn lock to lock in a second. You can react way, way quicker than a Trollmaster and even wheel with spinner on it. I know because I have one. The tiller is more work in wind but you get significantly better boat control. You might have a sore shoulder at the end of a windy day. It also depends on how your boat is setup.....my old boat had a seat that worked perfectly. If you can't sit and steer, a tiller would get old. And don't forget vision, when running the tiller all the rods are in front of you, you see strikes much more often than sitting in the drivers seat. Oh and varying speeds can be done much more simply with a tiller than a Trollmaster. Console steer advantage is it's more comfortable. Trollmaster is nice, set and forget it but you get lazy and don't change speeds enough. Sitting in the captains chair is nice though.

What I will do on my next boat is this- put a tiller steer kicker on, but have a quick release bar to the main motor AND a Trollmaster ran to the console. That way, I can run the kicker via tiller handle when wanted. But, I can also use it from the console, I just have hook up the bar, trim it down and put it in gear from the back, then I can drive and control via the console if I want. I thought it was ridiculous but a buddy set up his 620 this way and it works awesome!

Beware of not buying a motor with power trim & tilt. Some motors, especially the 6hp models, often don't have this. That's fine on a calm day, but on a windy day they are just laid over on their side & on their tilt rod. They get beat up and bounced around terribly. Two boats ago I had a 8hp Nissan setup this way and I put in RAM setup to hold the kicker staitionary when traveling. Worked well but was one more thing. Good luck!

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run a 9.9 Merc kicker. Usually sit on the livewell and adjust the speed by turning. I have my bowmount down and steer with the Terrova. It's really nice to set the autopilot when fighting a fish and concentrating on that. Trollmasters are nice, but not needed. You can tweek your speed some with the bow mount plus it really keeps the boat straight. You can also turn the big motor into the big waves (like turning into the skid) to help with boat tracking.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’m 100% with Traxion. Have had pro-kicker tillers on my last two Yar-Crafts and both were excellent. If you want additional control, drop the the bow mount and use that for fine tuning speed and steering. If you want the option of remote control, add a panther steer/trollmaster pro3 combo for wireless remote steering and throttle control from a single wireless remote. Use the quick disconnect and your back to a tiller. I will add, efi is a nice bonus, no finicky jets, easy starting, and never have to worry about cleaning the carb. I really like my 15 efi Pro-kicker. My 9.9 was good but the 15 was worth every penny more. Last thing, if you go tiller, consider mounting on the driver/starboard side. I’ve ran one on both sides and the starboard side has a ton of advantages, clear view of console electronics, no asking passengers to move, the weight offsets prop torque from the main motor, the tiller handle no longer swings wayyy outside the boat on a tight turn with the handles oftentimes mounted on the port side of the engine; to name a few......last last thing, matching the main motor just looks better and I think helps with resale.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't mount to right of motor because of built in ladder....

- - - Updated - - -

I think a 9.9 pro kicker with tiller steer and a quick disconnect tie rod are in my future

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends a lot on how much you want to spend. I've had a couple different boats now that I've put kickers on, was never concerned about make or matching the big motor. You can usually get a decent used 9.9-15hp for as little as $500. Definitely want a 4 stroke and I always used a tie rod for steering, that's personal preference. A tiller throttle can be adjusted to stay where you put it. I never used a troll master or anything like that but they would be handy, just not worth the money to me, again personal preference. If you fish alone and sit on the right side of the boat I'd mount the kicker on the left side to even the weight. Otherwise it shouldn't matter, you should be able to distribute weight to level the boat. I've also used a separate tank and tied into the main motor fuel line. Again that's a personal preference thing depending on how much room you have in the boat or if you just want peace of mind knowing exactly how much fuel you have, boat gauges are always sketchy.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
NoDak wind will continually make steering only with the trolling motor SO SO difficult. I remember the days of the trolling prop popping in and out of the water. brrrrrt. brrrrrrt. and speed dropping to 0mph. never again! Once I had a boat with the kicker life fishing became much nicer! Put the kicker in gear straight ahead, for propulsion, and use the trolling motor for the curves left/right (wind or structure). No more 0mph, or the front of the boat pointing in the wrong direction! BOOM! Mic Drop

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
One other thing to note is that you can get a Tohatsu or Nissan for a lot less money in some cases. Tohatsu motors are just rebranded to others, including Mercury. The 8hp Nissan I had on my first boat was identical to the 9.9 Pro Kicker. And honestly the internals look pretty much the same as my T8. I had that 8hp Nissan rigged up with the RAM mount to keep it straight when not in use, ran it off a 3 gallon tank. Put literally a thousand hours on it and it was flawless. I think I paid $1600 at the time, but remember it was manual start & trim. So yes all depends on the budget and what you want to do.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to be the black sheep here. Agree on a 9.9, Zuke or Yamaha. However, after going from a tiller steer to console, I prefer the tiller. Tiller advantage is instant throttle control and steering. All you do is twist the throttle and you can turn lock to lock in a second. You can react way, way quicker than a Trollmaster and even wheel with spinner on it. I know because I have one. The tiller is more work in wind but you get significantly better boat control. You might have a sore shoulder at the end of a windy day. It also depends on how your boat is setup.....my old boat had a seat that worked perfectly. If you can't sit and steer, a tiller would get old. And don't forget vision, when running the tiller all the rods are in front of you, you see strikes much more often than sitting in the drivers seat. Oh and varying speeds can be done much more simply with a tiller than a Trollmaster. Console steer advantage is it's more comfortable. Trollmaster is nice, set and forget it but you get lazy and don't change speeds enough. Sitting in the captains chair is nice though.

What I will do on my next boat is this- put a tiller steer kicker on, but have a quick release bar to the main motor AND a Trollmaster ran to the console. That way, I can run the kicker via tiller handle when wanted. But, I can also use it from the console, I just have hook up the bar, trim it down and put it in gear from the back, then I can drive and control via the console if I want. I thought it was ridiculous but a buddy set up his 620 this way and it works awesome!

Beware of not buying a motor with power trim & tilt. Some motors, especially the 6hp models, often don't have this. That's fine on a calm day, but on a windy day they are just laid over on their side & on their tilt rod. They get beat up and bounced around terribly. Two boats ago I had a 8hp Nissan setup this way and I put in RAM setup to hold the kicker staitionary when traveling. Worked well but was one more thing. Good luck!

When you learn to use the electric troller off the bow, and use directional setting, you'll be able to tie knots, see all rods, and watch sonar. I sit in the very back or front, mostly back. I put a towell over steering wheel and seat to make shade for my old dog.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76