The Bite/The Temps

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Looks like we got a nice cool down right around the corner...few days next week with forecast highs in the 60s. My favorite time of the year to open water fish is the transition from summer to fall. Some days you can still pull cranks and catch fish in 25-35 fow and some days you can jig plastics and never have to fish deeper than 15 fow. Great time of year coming up...bring it!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bite has been hot hot ��. I love the heat and empty boat ramps. U could really tell last weekend most have checked out.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The bite has been hot hot ��..................................

Where da hell you been fishing? The bite on Sakakawea has been "hot hot" if you like catching every 12-15" fish in the lake. Consistently finding something larger, not so hot hot, lol.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bite has been hot hot ��. I love the heat and empty boat ramps. U could really tell last weekend most have checked out.

This is what I love about fall fishing. The ramps are empty and the fishing is about to be the best it will be all year, especially if you like to target big fish. October/November might be the best two months on Sak.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sure be nice if I could drive on the lake......soon enough I guess
I fish every weekend in the summer. But I am also starting to think like you I just looked at my tracks for my ranger today and went through the steps in my head of how they go back on .

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
And there it is...ice will be here soon enough gents...lets enjoy couple more months of open water! As hot and muggy as it is today, can't even fathom drilling holes in ice!

KCP

I fish every weekend in the summer. But I am also starting to think like you I just looked at my tracks for my ranger today and went through the steps in my head of how they go back on .

Ranger? Tracks? Sounds like you need another friend....

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with shorthair, have fished the last 4 days and its been darn good. Last night they even bit till dark, not a boat on the lake and dead calm, and what a sunset! Ready to do it again today, with it this hot and water temps at 81 maybe they think its still July!#$%^&>:;:thumbsup

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer soft water over hard water. Let's keep the open surface as long as possible! With the cooler fronts the winds only stand to harass us in a boat. I don't recall many 65 degree days with little wind. I think it will be more of a sailboating month than a enjoyable fishing month (September), but I'll take it!

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I prefer soft water over hard water. Let's keep the open surface as long as possible! With the cooler fronts the winds only stand to harass us in a boat. I don't recall many 65 degree days with little wind. I think it will be more of a sailboating month than a enjoyable fishing month (September), but I'll take it!

No doubt...when temps start to fall the wind becomes even more annoying than in the summer. That being said, makes picking your days/times to fish even more critical. Putting that plan into action Saturday...looks like Friday winds mostly out of the NW. Plan to be on the water by 0630 Saturday morning...target south shorelines early. Looks like winds don't come up much Saturday until about noon...even then not bad. Sunday looks pretty windy tho!

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yesterday didn't suck either, took some friends out that get to fish once a year, they made the most of it! ..:;:cheers
View attachment 56111

Attachments

20200827_103825.jpg
Last edited:

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
5575, maybe you could pass along a you secret recipe? Gotta say, those look like some awfully warm mushy fish to fillet, did your live well quit? Reminds me of fish at the cleaning station after a 90 degree tourny day when the M.O. is to drink beer and bull shit until the cleaning station clears, usually about 2 hours after weigh-in, boat on the trailer baking in the sun and no fresh water for the livewell...................

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope livewell was fine, just allot of fish to keep alive. Just 6 had died, nothing mushy fillets were fine. Just allot of fun, hard to keep fish alive with 81 degree water. Never drank a single beer, didn't have time to, heck never had any on the boat.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea had the timer on medium all day. They kept a couple smallies and white bass so I had them up front in that well, smallies seem to kill everything in a well like pike slime. Or I'd have put walleye up there and helped out the rear one. Got off the water and straight to the cleaning station, had to put the bat to most of them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62