Feeling a bit down tonight. ( Bear hunting)

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well guys. After 35 years straight, I decided to pull the pin on bear.
It's been a HELL of a ride and for the most part I've had the time of many lifetimes!
The last few years, getting kids, women and a few handicapped folks have been my goal. Has been a blast and can fondly recall each bear they have killed.
Itson the eve of bear season now but I (with HUGE reservation) decided I no longer wanted to continue the tradition.
Bear camp has been such a huge part of my life and I'm damn near teared up posting this. I never thought I'd get to this point.
I've turned down many 1000' s of dollars over the years for requests for a bear.
I will still continue killing one each year for the meat ( my favorite) but it ain't gonna be the same without the great folks too share camp with.
Again, a bit sad with bear season opening up on Tuesday and no buds coming to join in:(

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep your head up! All good things come to an end. Maybe its over for good maybe its not. Sometimes a guy just need to reset his mind too. Take care!

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have often wondered the same thing, I try to take someone new every couple years. My daughter is coming this year for the first time, 23 and finally got the nerve to come with, :). Haven't shot one now for a couple years but it really isn't about the harvest for me anymore. I have made GREAT friends, whose cabin we stay at and land (along with public land) we hunt. Evenings around the campfire and stories half the night are more what it has become.

I'm sure the day will come that there won't be those friends around camp and I will experience what you are now, take pride in all the memories that have occurred because of your generosity and kindness and willingness to share your knowledge.

CONGRATS!!!!

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ended my season yesterday morning on a spot n stalk.
Made a 7 yard shot.
Actually, it went into a den in a ditch bank. I threw a handful of black licorice on the upwind side. Was maybe 10 seconds and it came out sniffing.
Super fun hunt.
20200927_123648.jpg

Attachments

20200927_110050.jpg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have hit that stage in life myself.
I used to not be able to sleep the night before deer or pheasant season. Now I have to be reminded when the season starts. Sometimes end up sleeping in and going for an afternoon hunt, or blow it off entirely.

Just doesn't do it for me like it used to.
Laying in bed for an extra hour with my wife and some hot coffee seems like a better morning than the 4 am gear up and "work" for a deer morning

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have hit that stage in life myself.
I used to not be able to sleep the night before deer of pheasant season. Now I have to be reminded when the season starts. Sometimes end up sleeping in and going for an afternoon hunt, or blow it off entirely.

Just doesn't do it for me like it used to.
Laying in bed for an extra hour with my wife and some hot coffee seems like a better morning than the 4 am gear up and "work" for a deer morning

the scientific term is low t

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
John, you are a good sport. Randy, you are a clever bastage, as always.

To the orginal poster, I am not a hunter, but I feel like you have had a good run. Rather than concentrate or dwell on what you might be missing, my advice would be to fondly remember what you've done. I think, you already do.

Good for you!

Jim

Happycamper

Honored Member
I feel your pain, it’s a tough decision.
I turn 77 in a week or so, the son and his friends have kids of their own now engaged in organized sports., etc. Everything takes time and unfortunately find myself hunting alone too often. But I have wisdom, land and a cabin and was actually going to piggy back on KDMs routine and seek out a younger, energetic and spirited youngster to earn, learn and carry on traditions.
However, spending many hours in a Cattail marsh Friday night with a cane no less, trying to find a buddies deer I have to rethink that idea. I just don’t have the energy or stamina to keep up so I’ll probably just succumb to a life of leisure and drink to lots of great memories.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks fellas:cool:

Oh, I'm 55 not but still have the same drive as I did 25 years ago.
Have made EVERY mistake possible over the years.
Few here know me but I've spent more time "in the woods" that most can only dream of.
I still love bear hunting and will continue to do so as it's my favorite wild meat.
I sure did (and do) miss my buddies and family in camp.
Anywho, freezer is full of meat and I'm a happy camper.
Now onto deer:;:cheers

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ended my season yesterday morning on a spot n stalk.
Made a 7 yard shot.
Actually, it went into a den in a ditch bank. I threw a handful of black licorice on the upwind side. Was maybe 10 seconds and it came out sniffing.
Super fun hunt.
received_549987473745808.gif

NICE!! now just throw that MFer over your shoulder and walk right outa there.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like black licorice....probably won't eat it ever again without first looking over my shoulder for a sniper.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pic #2 shows fletching coming out of the bear as if it was a frontal shot. Was he coming for you or did you just let the vitals get far enough outta the hole when he came for the snacks?

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was a strong quarter-too shot.he pegged me before he got broadside.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75