Looking for a new rod

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The medium light drop shot blanks are my go to jigging blanks. Have 2 for myself and built 6 or 7 for buddies with zero complaints

I’ve got a couple of those as well. Trust me, give that elite-x a go. You will NOT be disappointed. NMB812XF

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for a G Loomis rod for the mrs.
We jig some, pull bottom bouncers, and basically that is it. Guessing I would like it to be no longer than 6'6" or so.

Suggestions?

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
We jig some, pull bottom bouncers, and basically that is it. Guessing I would like it to be no longer than 6'6" or so.

Suggestions?

There's a surgery for that......

As far as fishing rods are concerned, you thinking spinning rod for versatility? Probably a medium action.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why does it have to be a g Loomis? G Loomis though still makes good rods are not the same company since Shimano purchased them. The real answer is how much are you willing to spend on a fishing rod for your wife?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an All Star, Lew's, 2 upper end Diawas and still have one Scheels Guide from when they were supposedly St. Croix. I broke three and my remaining is missing an inch off the tip. The Lightning Rod (1pc) provides extremely comparable performance, looks decent (cork simulation handle) and a half dozen or more can be had for the price of one G Loomis etc: If you "bust" one you're out 40 bucks:

1700018071319.png

1700018109943.png

1700018184857.png

1700018250216.png

Smuscha

Suggestions?
You’re looking for 2 rods. A good jig stick isn’t a good bouncer stick and vice versa. Scheels 6’6” bait caster med heavy for a bouncer rod, handles bouncers from 3/4 to 2 oz no problem. Jigging rod can go a lot of different ways. JT makes a heck of a jigging rod in my opinion but at the same time higher end Scheels rods also get the job done. But I don’t believe you’re going to find a one trick pony that would be truly happy with.

10 lb fireline or power pro on the bouncer and 3-4lb fireline or power pro on the jig. Be surprised how much more you gain on light line on a jigging rod and with todays braid 3 lb test handles a lot, will straighten jig hooks.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Johnr if you looking to pay for something special like a g Loomis rod, how you talk highly about your better half, I would go the custom tuned option. I can guarantee that once you get your wife a custom tuned rod for her you are going to want one for yourself. Shimano who own g Loomis still uses the same high quality blanks that Gary Loomis used on his high end rods but what is lacking with the new Loomis rods is the craftsmanship of those rods. The Loomis rods are mass produced now with the same high quality blanks, wraps, handles, and guides but are not always built with the guides wrapped on the spine compared to the Loomis rods of the past where every rod was hand built by specialized builders.
@Tikka280ai made custom rods and I'm sure if he still does he would be happy to make a rod that's built with the same craftsmanship as how Loomis used to make them from years past.
Go custom johnr she will absolutely love it

Last edited:

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Way back when Gary Loomis started building rods, I meet him and set up a deal to purchase rods with sponsorship deal and have a lot of them. He did sell out around 1997 to Shimano. They still use Loomis blanks and still made in the Woodland factory in Washington and some of his higher end stuff they use that Gary was just developing when he sold out. I love them all. Gary did try to start another company and got sued not sure what is going on now. As far as jigging and bottom bouncer rod buy two. The bottom bouncers we use now days can get big like 2 to 5 oz's that is problem. She will lose the feel if jigging lighter jigs too. She is worth it you know that. When my wife fishes with me she is equal and if not at times better. A good rod is 75% of fishing. With two rods you can fish anyway possible too. Don't need no more rods for momma. . Get IMX or GCF 6' to 6'6"for jigging and rigging or NRX if got few extra 100's in wallet and GL2 or GL3 for bouncing or GLX if got few extra dollars to spend lenght 7' can go less or more in length.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bottom bouncer rod does not have to be anything special or expensive. Then get her a nice jigging rod also without having to go the GL way with one stick. Plenty of decent jigging rods out there without buying the top tier ones of either a Stcroix, scheels, elliot, 2b etc.. She would most certainly be happy with one in each hand ;)

Last edited:

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bottom bouncer rod does not have to be anything special or expensive. Then get her a nice jigging rod also without having to go the GL way with one stick. Plenty of decent jigging rods out there without buying the top tier ones of either a Stcroix, scheels, elliot, 2b etc.. She would most certainly be happy with one in each hand ;)

IMO, a BB rod should still be a good rod. Distinguishing between the bottom, rocks, weeds, bites, etc all improve one’s game.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Braid; bbl swivels and leaders. I'm afraid braid is going to be targeted like lead (with good reason): Ridiculous strength braid is being used as a substitute for duplicate diameter mono by retardation (tards) which can't/won't appreciate increased casting distance, strength and improved hydrodynamics.

Tie it to a bbl swivel and work with the leader. I'd rather not again be forced to deal with the properties of fucking monofilament.

Keep the spool full. Replace the knot/swivel as needed--with Palomars and quality components:

1700109474922.png

Last edited:

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO, a BB rod should still be a good rod. Distinguishing between the bottom, rocks, weeds, bites, etc all improve one’s game.
The advanced fisherman will know the feel of the bottom,rocks,weeds bites etc.... with any type of rod. The ones not as advanced will not know the difference anyway.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77