Looking for a new rod

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
In search of a 7' medium heavy spinning rod - caveat is that it has to be a two-piece rod. Looking for a great casting rod (length + power) but hoping to find something that is slightly more travel friendly. The rod will be primarily a crank bait casting rod (uninterested in a baitcaster as that's a disaster for me and I throw quite a few Rapala cranks so fairly light). Have looked at Fenwick, St. Croix, and Fox River rods so far, but haven't been able to find what I'm looking for (admittedly this was pretty quickly so I may have missed something). Trying to keep the price below $150, but want something decent. Any thoughts?

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Several years ago I bought a Scheels walleye series 7’6” medium moderate taper on clearance. Someone would have to pry it out of my dead hands to get it. It’s my favorite bait pulling and crank pitching rod. I think I paid $70 for it. I believe it was $120-140 regular price. Not sure if they are still making that spec rod or not though.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I forgot you said 2 piece. Forget what I said.

- - - Updated - - -

The only 2 pieces I like are babes in bikinis.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I now have a couple of 13 Fishing Omen rods and like them. The ones I have are 1-piece. They also make a couple of 2 piece mediums. 7'1" and 7'-3" Dakota tackle has some stock on hand.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you're set on a 2pc then get an Ugly Stick. Won't break the bank, extremely durable and nice slow action for crank baits even with braid. In fact; IMO, braid's near zero stretch will greatly complement the rod's action.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In search of a 7' medium heavy spinning rod - caveat is that it has to be a two-piece rod. Looking for a great casting rod (length + power) but hoping to find something that is slightly more travel friendly. The rod will be primarily a crank bait casting rod (uninterested in a baitcaster as that's a disaster for me and I throw quite a few Rapala cranks so fairly light). Have looked at Fenwick, St. Croix, and Fox River rods so far, but haven't been able to find what I'm looking for (admittedly this was pretty quickly so I may have missed something). Trying to keep the price below $150, but want something decent. Any thoughts?

Do they make many 2 piece medium heavy rods? I have a 7’ 2” medium heavy G Loomis E6x that I really like for heavy BB or cranks but not sure it comes in a two piece.

- - - Updated - - -

Several years ago I bought a Scheels walleye series 7’6” medium moderate taper on clearance. Someone would have to pry it out of my dead hands to get it. It’s my favorite bait pulling and crank pitching rod. I think I paid $70 for it. I believe it was $120-140 regular price. Not sure if they are still making that spec rod or not though.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I forgot you said 2 piece. Forget what I said.

- - - Updated - - -

The only 2 pieces I like are babes in bikinis.
I have one of those rods but never have been a big fan for some reason. Not sure if I didn’t like it’s sensitivity or the action of the rod but it’s sitting in the shed not being used none the less. How big of BB do you use with it?

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
I have one of those rods but never have been a big fan for some reason. Not sure if I didn’t like it’s sensitivity or the action of the rod but it’s sitting in the shed not being used none the less. How big of BB do you use with it?

So, do you want to sell that rod?

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do they make many 2 piece medium heavy rods? I have a 7’ 2” medium heavy G Loomis E6x that I really like for heavy BB or cranks but not sure it comes in a two piece.

- - - Updated - - -

1-2oz on average. Ill buy it if you want to sell it.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there a specific reason why you want a medium heavy rod? I cast cranks with a 7'6 medium moderate fast and I haven't found a reason to use a rod with more backbone. Having a slower action and a soft tip keeps big fish pinned a lot better when casting cranks. It also makes for some crazy long casts. Finding a 2 piece like that is going to be a chore especially for something of decent quality. Having one built might be your best option.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer a medium heavy for casting very light crankbaits as well as casting into wind. I’ve casted a Fenwick HMG in both medium and medium heavy and just prefer the medium heavy. I supposed a few extra inches of rod length might help a medium rod, but not sure. [MENTION=366]Captain Ahab[/MENTION], would you recommend something otherwise for a specific reason. I’m trying to keep the rod about 7’ and it has to break into 2 pieces, start going longer and the pieces start to be longer and more difficult to pack.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer a medium heavy for casting very light crankbaits as well as casting into wind. I’ve casted a Fenwick HMG in both medium and medium heavy and just prefer the medium heavy. I supposed a few extra inches of rod length might help a medium rod, but not sure. @Captain Ahab, would you recommend something otherwise for a specific reason. I’m trying to keep the rod about 7’ and it has to break into 2 pieces, start going longer and the pieces start to be longer and more difficult to pack.

Typically lighter action rods throw light stuff better because you get some bend to “launch” the bait. Funny that the heavier rod did it better.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Picked up a cheap 7’ medium heavy combo on a work trip because I wanted to do some fishing. This Diawa combo was only $19.99 and is a two piece. Didn’t catch anything with it but it fished pretty well for a very cheap combo.

I’m trying to figure out how to rig one of my new Gloomis rods I got last year. It is a 6’8” medium heavy with and extra fast action. I was not the biggest fan using it for bb trolling. I was thinking of using it for heavy swim baits or possibly fishing Rippin raps or heavy glide baits. I know the masters say to use a lighter action with mono to keep fish hooked up on jigging raps but wouldn’t a heavy power rod handle those heavy jigging raps better and wouldn’t that extra power drive those hooks deeper so the fish stays on better? It going to be hard for me to ever spool a rod with anything other than braid. Advice anyone?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Berkeley has a fine MH one piece Lightning Rod for about 40 bucks (I'm talking spin tackle) has more guides than my 100 buck Diawa bought in '94. The Diawa has a better "Remington BDL" finish and foam handles. The LR has a utilitarian finish and faux cork. They are equal "IM"--as both are good rods my nod goes to "cork". That is all.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have built a few rods on this series of blanks in 6.5 and 7 foot length and they are awesome all around blanks. From jigging to slip bobber and pulling spinners they handle everything really good

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Medium fast action is my favorite rod in most throwing bates long rods gets you distance and not wear your arm out. I use all G-Loomis rods so not cheap.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have built a few rods on this series of blanks in 6.5 and 7 foot length and they are awesome all around blanks. From jigging to slip bobber and pulling spinners they handle everything really good

I have yet to be disappointed in an MHX blank. The elite-X is outstanding. It makes my St Croix SC IV tournament feel heavy.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have yet to be disappointed in an MHX blank. The elite-X is outstanding. It makes my St Croix SC IV tournament feel heavy.

The medium light drop shot blanks are my go to jigging blanks. Have 2 for myself and built 6 or 7 for buddies with zero complaints

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76