Missouri River shore fishing

Alex6601

Hey guys! Moved here a little over a year ago. Been fishing a good bit this summer. I normally go to Little heart bottoms, Schmidt bottoms to the left of the dock, Sweet Briar, Harmon lake and a few other places.

Just wondering other places that are decent shore fishing. I dont mind walking a bit to get to places but it is hard for me to discern places that are okay to fish.

Not asking for secret spots just commonly known to locals. Thanks in advance.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see lots of shore fishing on the Mandan side of the river at Eckroth and Ft Rice. Also, the Heskitt power station is good at night especially if you have a pair of waders. Quite a few people shore fish Alkaline/Fresh too.

Alex6601

Walleye and northern pike are what I like the best, but I normally catch and release so I am open to near anything. I haven't caught a single bass from shore.

I even like catching channel cat. Thank you for your reply.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I'll give these a try!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have only rarely caught smallmouth from shore at the Heskett, but I hear that it isn't uncommon. I think, if that's what you'd like to try, go north of the stairs, where the water is warmer. You can walk all the way north, to the warm-water outfall, and it's much warmer than the main channel.

Waders aren't a requirement, but they do give you more mobility, and more options. there are spots where you can walk out a long ways, and it's only knee-deep. tough to fish from the bank, in those situations.

Good luck!

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you want to catch smallies (bass) head up to the McClusky Canal. I lived in McClusky for 4 years and used to fish it 4-5 nights a week from shore. It's a very underrated fishery. I've caught a ton of walleye, a stupid amount of smallies, a moderate number of crappie, perch, pike, carp, and an occasional bluegill. The canal from highway 200 to 4 miles south to the plug is probably full of weeds and very tough to fish right now, but there will be a few areas to sneak into. Everything else is usually wide open!

Every time I'm going back through the area I always plan an extra hour or two into my trip to pitch some jigs again.

Alex6601

Thank you guys so much! I appreciate all of your input and will give these all a try this fall.

- - - Updated - - -

I have only rarely caught smallmouth from shore at the Heskett, but I hear that it isn't uncommon. I think, if that's what you'd like to try, go north of the stairs, where the water is warmer. You can walk all the way north, to the warm-water outfall, and it's much warmer than the main channel.

Waders aren't a requirement, but they do give you more mobility, and more options. there are spots where you can walk out a long ways, and it's only knee-deep. tough to fish from the bank, in those situations.

Good luck!

I see lots of shore fishing on the Mandan side of the river at Eckroth and Ft Rice. Also, the Heskitt power station is good at night especially if you have a pair of waders. Quite a few people shore fish Alkaline/Fresh too.

How do I get to the water at Eckroth and Fort rice? I looked on google earth and am unsure of where you mean by Eckroth. Thank you for taking time to share some info.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last edited:

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member

Alex6601

Sluggo, Ristorapper, thank you guys for the details. This will help a ton.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
i was a rat when i was a kid -- i got to come to bis/man a couple times a year to fish with my Gpa. He would start out in the spring in town and slowly work himself down to the oahe portion -- then he would work back the other way depending on the time of year. we fished every available spot imaginable. My memory was fishing always was good - but i think because my guide (gpa) new the area.

Wish i live in Bis - - ratting the big MO is 100X better then sitting on the rocks on DL. You could start a fire kick back with some cold ones and wait for the bite.

Alex6601

Shorthairsrus-

The fishing up here has been really good. We have been really lucky with the info I got from here it will be even better.

Where I am from catfishing, crappie and bass was about it, has been nice to add walleye and pike to the mix.

Thank you all for the info.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79