Casting Cranks

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for suggestions for crank baits that run 0-10 feet deep, are easy to cast a long ways, non-Rapala, and have been known to catch walleyes.

I throw a lot of rapalas and are happy with them but fish with other folks that can’t always get good distance with them so am looking for non-rapala suggestions.

Thanks!

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rapala deep rip-stop, flicker shad and flicker minnow, rapala deep shadow rap all have been very good to me and they cast well.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
#7 shallow flicker shads cast really well. Deep shadow rap shads cast a country mile. Berkley cutters do pretty decent. I know you wanted non rapala but not many companies make legit casting cranks. Weight transfer is a huge player when it comes to castability. Flicker minnows cartwheel 50% of the time but the #9 is the best for casting out of all of their sizes. #10 deep husky jerks cast very well due to their weight transfer and don't run that deep when casted. If someone can't cast a rapala glass shad they need to learn how to cast because those things fly. All of the above are sub 10ft baits with the exception of the #9 flicker minnows. Sorry I am a rapala guy because nobody else comes close with good casting cranks except the #7 shallow flicker shad.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for suggestions for crank baits that run 0-10 feet deep, are easy to cast a long ways, non-Rapala, and have been known to catch walleyes.

I throw a lot of rapalas and are happy with them but fish with other folks that can’t always get good distance with them so am looking for non-rapala suggestions.

Thanks!
Why don't they get good distance with them? I don't see why they would be different then any other crank weight wise. :;:huh

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can't toss a 7 or 9 countdown in any condition, then watch your bobber grandpa.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sluggo, I know you're looking outside rapala, and there are some out there, but rapalas do the trick, as well as, or better than most.

Shadow Rap Shads are nice and heavy, rattle, and have a nice tight wobble. The shallow version is great for under 4ft. I have not experimented with the deeper ones, but they'd have to run in the 10 ft range, depending upon retrieve speed.

Bagleys makes a few too, and I've used some in your boat.

699_source_1594389088.jpg

JB_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
The new berkely hitsticks look like a nice non-rapala option, much heavier than the original floater. More like a husky jerk I would say. I picked up a few to try out this fall in Jaykay's favorite spot.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
The new berkely hitsticks look like a nice non-rapala option, much heavier than the original floater. More like a husky jerk I would say. I picked up a few to try out this fall in Jaykay's favorite spot.

Don't bother, they don't work. Wink Wink. I might have already given a couple a rip, for a sneak preview a couple weeks ago. Only caught one fish, but it was on a hitstick.

The river looks to be going down pretty substantially, pretty soon. The hitstick runs a little deeper than a #11 original. there might be only a few spots where they won't drag bottom, not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
do you have good luck with the short fat bass style cranks?

Fat Raps!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!
Storm thundersticks are a good option

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!
Storm thundersticks are a good option

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82