Minnesota Bear

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
[FONT=&quot]Got to experience another first this year bear hunting. I have been trying to get my daughter to come with bear hunting but has been reluctant to go. My son has shot a couple nice ones and rubs it into her a bit. Well she decided to come this year and we had a blast. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]She couldn't get off work for opener so I hunted that one alone in the stand, had a busy evening with a bear slumber party deciding to take place at my bait. I had 7 different bear come that evening even having a three legged bear with attitude show up. Second day she sat with me and we had our largest and nicest bear show up around 7:25 during a break in the rain. She made a great shot with a short recovery which provided many back slaps!!! The bear weighted 461 pounds.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The meat was processed, skull cleaned up enough to measure and went right at 21", about a forth of the fat was rendered with the rest to be done at home.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This bear was fighter, but by the looks of things he was not the victor- or maybe he was? He had some nasty scars on the face, when skinning we found bite marks (5 puncture wounds) in the area of his shoulder blades that were infected and still healing. We boiled the shoulder blade to see what it looked like and it has some weird healing going on. I have a picture of the bear at the bait and am going to have an artist friend paint that picture on the blade once I get it whitened.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We got the whole thing on video, she shot it with a 45-70 and on video (which I forgot to shut off) you can hear her say "son of a bitch that kicked"! She had never shot the gun for that reason as she didn't want to know if it was bad or not. Good thing on her part I think?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Even enjoyed a little time around the fire.

Steph 2020 Bear.jpgSteph and Dad.jpg2020 Steph Bear Face.jpgLard.jpgBear Shoulder Blade.jpgCampfire Time.jpg[/FONT]

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's pretty gnarly! Nicely done.

I'd send a pic of that to the MN DNR. I bet they have some bear biologist who either has seen that before, or hasn't, and may want to know more about it.

Either way, awesome!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a BRUTE of a bear, congratulations to her!

What do you use the rendered bear fat for?

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most excellent!!
Big skull, white V on the chest, big bear and all on tape:cool:

Well done you 2;:;bowdown

How was the hide??

I took a lady friend out Fri Eve.
She shot her first bear ( arrowed it).
A 280lb dry sow.. on cloud nine.

Last edited:

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
The hide was surprisingly in really nice shape, the groin was thin but they always are that time of year. I was really surprised on the number of bear this year.

- - - Updated - - -

The fat works real good on burns and cuts, really reduced the scaring. Also I have been told by many how good the fat works for pastries, mainly pie crust so am going to give it a try. It smelled really good when rendering, we'll see?

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome bear trapper!
i had my 6 year old son in the blind with me this year. He was so pumped. He unzipped the blind door 20 seconds after the arrow passed through and wanted to go get him. Haha I made him wait a few minutes.
38DBC391-476D-437F-8681-EC6813F7A6A5.jpg

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nicely done!
Way to be persistent with her! Most of the time dad knows best.

Holy cow bowhunter. Haven't been on here much but the last I remember you were on FB and on honeymoon. 3 kiddo's now! Good for you!

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good stuff guys!.
Most folks don't realize the amount of time,$, sweat, that goes into a successful bear hunt.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great Job starting them young, you will have a great bear camp for years to come.

Awesome bear trapper!
i had my 6 year old son in the blind with me this year. He was so pumped. He unzipped the blind door 20 seconds after the arrow passed through and wanted to go get him. Haha I made him wait a few minutes.
DD1045CD-6050-49A8-B40D-E04063E7865F.jpeg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome.
My youngest daughter shot a 2x2 mule deer for her once in a lifetime golden ticket. She enjoyed the hunt, she was 13, but she has not hunted with a rifle since. I don't push it, as my 2 older girls were never into it either.
My wife is a hunter, and really enjoys it, my son is addicted, but the girls just didn't take to it.

Again awesome on you guys.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats to you and your daughter! Great pics and memories.
She won't have any trouble finding a good hunter for a boyfriend! :;:rockit

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great story trapper,memories will last a lifetime,hellofa bear she took,congrats,sounds like the apple didn't fall to far from the tree,she already has her dad's hunting lingo down pat....j/k.

thanx for sharing.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
She is a definite outdoorsman! Hates it when I start gutting her deer.

Great story trapper,memories will last a lifetime,hellofa bear she took,congrats,sounds like the apple didn't fall to far from the tree,she already has her dad's hunting lingo down pat....j/k.

thanx for sharing.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would like to see a bunch of young whipper snappers sitting around bragging about what they have shot and showing pictures and she comes along and whips out her phone with her bear pics! That would be priceless! ;:;rofl

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
She has some hunting buddies (males) that have already had it thrown at them, one even told her that he wouldn't hunt them?

Would like to see a bunch of young whipper snappers sitting around bragging about what they have shot and showing pictures and she comes along and whips out her phone with her bear pics! That would be priceless! ;:;rofl

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75