Hometown history

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I stumbled on searchable newspaper articles from the late 1800s up to 1922. in my area, There might be older newspapers from other communities. Fun reading local and state history and tidbits about my Grandpa who passed away in the early 30s . News was so much better then.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very interesting Davey what a great find thanks for sharing

You do have away of finding some interesting stuff Bud, just like that website for the GIS file that can be uploaded to Google earth pro to see what everything in North Dakota looked like before the federal interstates were built.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cool site. Didn't find tons, but did read about my grandparents wedding in 1935. Interesting.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish I could copy and paste from there, I read a couple pretty incredible ND bear hunting stories and a few organized community rabbit hunts and some interesting fish catches and tales.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I saw where they were paying a $2 bounty on "wolves" in Dickey County back in 19xx - forget the year. Paid out like 147 bounties. Can't believe there were that many wolves around then. Must've been coyotes.

- - - Updated - - -

1902, 140 "wolves" in Dickey County. Screenshot_20200913-011734.jpg

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't do a screenshot anymore for some reason on this computer, I'm sure I did once before . I'm like a woman in a boat when it comes to computers. I'll try another route.

Bismarck weekly tribune. [volume], January 12, 1894

The Dunseith Herald tells of a terrible battle between a half-breed Indian and four bears in the Turtle Mountains. The breed had come upon them suddenly, and had just time to scale a small tree" as they charged upon him. The sapling was too small for the animals to scale, and from his perch the breed shot three of the bears. The fourth was met on equal footing and finished with a knife thrust. Two were cinnamon and two black bears.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was remodeling in a old house in Wyndmere and people used to stuff newspaper in the walls for insulation. Came across a old paper that told the story of a bunch of men came from Fargo to Wyndmere in the middle 20's and raided five or six "BLIND PIGS". Beat people up and wrecked the buildings. Guess they took no-drinking to heart. I still laugh about that story. LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had to google what a blind pig was , Another old story was the guns supposedly buried in the sand hills down your way. I just read an interesting news story from the 1850s about the Oak Island treasure .

- - - Updated - - -

Been looking for a story on the Dunseith Bank robbery where the money and gold is supposedly buried up in the hills by St John. Iv'e read it in a book but can't find it here.

- - - Updated - - -

Another good one to search for is oil and gas drilling, I didn't realize the old timers were so active in the oil business and making wells @ 3000 feet in the teens.and 20s in North Dakota.

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is a pretty cool website to search old newspapers, especially for free. A year or two ago I found a 'sporting' article in a 1906 Jamestown newspaper including my granduncle Emil (the light weight). It would be interesting to hear if someone may know whom the Little Swede may have been. As this is a fishing website I will include a 1902 family photo of Emil with a catch.
Screenshot_20200914-211254.jpg

Emil Grasswick 1902 Lake Hendricks.jpg

hogslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well that sure took me down a rabbit hole. Clicked on the link and next thing I know it was 3 hours later. Very cool

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well that sure took me down a rabbit hole. Clicked on the link and next thing I know it was 3 hours later. Very cool

Haha, I know that feeling. I can get hooked on this kind of reading. How do you guys crop and post the articles that you are sharing ?

- - - Updated - - -

I saw where they were paying a $2 bounty on "wolves" in Dickey County back in 19xx - forget the year. Paid out like 147 bounties. Can't believe there were that many wolves around then. Must've been coyotes.

From 1902... That jogged a rock loose , I remember hearing some of the oldest old timers call coyotes a Minnesota brush wolf.

- - - Updated - - -

Or just brush wolf

- - - Updated - - -

I showed this site to my Brother in law in MN and he was able to connect the dots to a little boy playing in a mud puddle who's dad was in the bar drunker than a skunk in Mohall ND. His great grandpa "rescued" the little guy and brought him home and took him under his wing and raised him as one of his own. You can't make this stuff up.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I notice that a lot of articles would generalize all those of mix race as a half breeds, which seems to me an acceptable name of the times. I prefer to be called metis myself

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75