Chili Recipe?

64Mustang

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone got any fairly simple homemade chili recipes that you'd be willing to share? thanks.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chili's pretty easy, ground meat, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans and seasoning are the basics than whatever else you want to add to it. The key is to let it slow cook for at least 4 hours or better yet over night.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brown a pound or two of burger with a diced onion and salt/pepper. Add several cloves of garlic and saute for a few more minutes. Add two cans of seasoned diced tomatoes with the juice. Add a can of whole tomatoes with sauce and break up whole tomatoes with your spatula. Add a couple small cans of tomato paste. If it needs to be saucier as some tomato sauce. Thicker add more paste. Add beans of your choice if you wish. Simmer for an hour. Start with 1/4 cup of chili powder and let it blend for a few minutes and then just taste and add more chili powder until it tastes like you like along with any other seasoning you like. This is a very basic recipe but a good start. With chili you can add almost anything you want to it. It's better the next day after it sits in the fridge overnight.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
we prefer browned round steak cut that's been cut into 3/4" chunks (beef or venison)

LOTs of colored peppers

lots of onion/garlic

a variety of chili peppers (jalapeno, sorano, etc.) - leave veins and seeds in if you want hot

a good load of chili powder (New Mexico - Hatch chiles if you can find it)

a jar of salsa

can or two of stewed tomatoes

maybe some cheap beef stock

adjust heat easily at the end with cayenne powder additions

we've gone beanless (true chili according to experts) the last few years - bit because of them - but it sure reduces toxic gas

we ALWAYS make corn bread and eat it in the bowl - smothered in the chili

cheese/sour cream as needed

use crushed nacho chips as "crackers" when the corn bread is gone

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are lots of Chili in a bag mixes out there. My kids really like them as they are bland as hell.

I like them because they are easy to make and I can juice up the heat in my servings by using the Chipotle flavored Tobasco sauce. That stuff rocks in chili!

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get horrendous diarrhea from chili these days.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
A million years ago i won a chili challenge the local Jaycee's were conducting. My concoction beat out about a dozen other crockpot concoctions. Of course i didn't and don't have a recipe but it goes something like this:
Brown burger..1 1/2 or 2#
Add diced onions, salt,pepper, garlic, oregano- dump in crock pot.
Add a can of Chili beans and pinto beans
can of tomato sauce(although the wife makes some awesome stuff so i use that instead of store bought)
couple small cans of tomato paste
touch of ketchup
little cayenne pepper
add chili powder to your liking.
heat on low for 3-4 hours
Easy peasy. No rhyme or reason when making. If you want to kick the flavor up a notch add a cup of strong coffee.

dgully

Founding Member
Founding Member
Instead of ground beef have your butcher cube a tri-tip and then fry it up, what a difference in taste

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every year when temps dip I make a batch stove top nothin fancy brown burger and a pound of hot italian sausage,one packet of chili seasoning ,one can of mexican chili fixin found in my store ethnic section,pile of chopped onions and celery,sometimes found pre chopped in produce section,stewed tomatoes,diced or sliced,next thing ya know you have enough chili to last a couple weeks

Oh let the chili stew on low heat for a couple hours then add dark kidney beans for the last hour or so otherwise they get mushy,if your feeling frisky chop up a serono pepper with seeds rather than a jalapeno as the heat doesn't last as long on your tongue

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i use both ground and cubed i mine. make sure and "brown" it good too. don't just cook it. the extra flavor from that is worth it. a little tip if you are short on time... if you've ever been in a cook off where you need to cook on site, time is often short. i would start boiling the veggies in beef and chicken broth with a beer while browning the meat. and what guy said. no beans in the real stuff.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only canned vegetable we have in our house is beans, lots of them, So they go in chili. Could care less about the purists.

I never make it the same but chipotle pepper plus other spicy hot ingredients go in. Slow cook and taste tests are advised. If there is one food I dislike it's bland chili.

Fresh spices are the best. I buy small quantities. Those dollar spices are cheap but not all that great.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76