Knives for Deer Processing

Uncle Rico

Growing up, we always took our deer to the meat locker to be processed, so I never got started with processing my own deer. However I now have a son that is starting to hunt and a setup that would allow for doing it myself, and I am going to give it a try.

Currently, my knife arsenal is just a Buck knife i use for field dressing, etc. My question is whether there is a knife set or something similar that is a no-brainer to buy for processing animals? Also, if there are items other than knives that are game-changers, please mention those as well.

I would be doing it in a shop with a winch on the ceiling, so the deer would be hanging.

Thanks in advance,
UR

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Victorinox 6" flexible curved blade:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CF94L/?tag=nodakangler10-20

That and a steel nearby will get you a long way.

Just about anything will work to break-down a critter into quarters. I like some curve, some flex, and fairly thin to remove facia/silver-skin and separate the individual cuts.

I use this knife in Elmax steel to separate cuts and remove silver-skin. The blunted point allows me to get under the facia and peel it off easier than I can with a "pointy" knife:

https://www.howemtnknives.com/catfish-fillet-20.html

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
After de-boning all you need is a GOOD SHARP Fillet Knife.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
A good fillet knife is extremely useful for processing any big game. Backstraps and tenderloin removal as well as dealing with the shoulder blades are of particular note. The long flexible blade rolls right along the ribs and the vertebrae and works well for filleting the meat off the shoulder blades. It also comes in handy for cutting the larger muscles into steaks if you wish. Taking the "silver" skin off the meat is also easier with a fillet knife. Silver skin is the tough tendon sheets that cover some muscles, especially in the front shoulders and the round. I use a heavy knife to take the hide off and remove the shoulders and hams. Other then those steps, I use the fillet knife for almost everything from there. Also, don't be hard on yourself if you make mistakes on your first half a dozen deer or so that you process. It takes practice to figure out what works for you and a meat grinder is very good at hiding mistakes. (Grin) Good Luck!!

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
After de-boning all you need is a GOOD SHARP Fillet Knife.

They do work. I prefer more curve, especially for removing facia as the cuts are "longer" requiring fewer "insertions". I feel like the curve in the blade also gives me more control as to where along the knife the actual cutting is taking place. I find a straight blade is more difficult to control, or, I'm continually using only the 1st 2-3" and having to re-sharpen more often while the rest of the blade remains unused. A curve allows me to use more of the blade IMO.

That guy

Honored Member
electric fillet knife follows the silver pretty well. I use it alot getting that crap off of the good meat.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
As stated above,, dont need nothing fancy, just a Sharp fillet knife. Also, if this is your first, there are real good tutorial videos on youtube about cutting into different cuts.. good luck

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
filet knives occasionally flex unexpectedly for me - they're just a tad too thin/wobbly

I like somewhat of a hybrid

the smaller old school Chicago Cutlery boning knives are great - I keep the sharpener nearby and go to town

it's got a "purposeful" feel to it - goes/slices where I want without heading off at an angle due to deflection

estate and garage sales you'll usually pay $5 or $10

Vintage-Chicago-Cutlery-62S-Boning-Knife-5-Blade.jpg

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also use some older Chicago Cutlery knives that I inherited and a good fillet knife. A bone saw is use full if you like to keep the ribs intact. I'm one of the few that keep the ribs together and not debone them.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
also - that super pointy tip on a filet knife is bad news for my boning approach - no room for error with those needle sharp bastards

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
All we used when we had the butcher shop growing up were victorinox knives. Had the 6” boning knives and the curved skinning knives. That’s all you need. It’s what I’ve used on thousands of animals and still use today. Get a good steel and you’re set. I added a Worksharp to the mix last year for when the edge gets beyond repair for the steel and really like it https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/sharpeners/powered/combo-knife-sharpener/ . I can’t imaging boning an animal with a fillet knife. Seems extremely inefficient and borderline dangerous..

Americas Test Kitchen just did a test a couple months ago and agreed for their “Best Buy”.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zhwVMoBN0AI

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have not field dressed a deer for the past ten years. I debone where they fall with this knife: https://www.benchmade.com/saddle-mountain-skinner-family-hunt.html When I get home I process further with an old Gerber fillet knife that I have had for 40 years. I don't cut any steaks I separate into major muscles, vacuum pack and decide what I want as I use it.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
My favorite deer processing knife is a 40 yr old Chicago cutlery filet knife.

Right behind that is a more modern Big Eddy filet knife with a curved blade and serrated section made by CRKT. You can find them on Ebay for about $14. And no, it has no relation with the former talk show guy.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
silver skin is the devil!
Victorinox 6" flexible curved blade:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CF94L/?tag=nodakangler10-20

That and a steel nearby will get you a long way.

Just about anything will work to break-down a critter into quarters. I like some curve, some flex, and fairly thin to remove facia/silver-skin and separate the individual cuts.

I use this knife in Elmax steel to separate cuts and remove silver-skin. The blunted point allows me to get under the facia and peel it off easier than I can with a "pointy" knife:

https://www.howemtnknives.com/catfish-fillet-20.html

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
My favorite deer processing knife is a 40 yr old Chicago cutlery filet knife.

Right behind that is a more modern Big Eddy filet knife with a curved blade and serrated section made by CRKT. You can find them on Ebay for about $14. And no, it has no relation with the former talk show guy.
It does actually.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Growing up, we always took our deer to the meat locker to be processed, so I never got started with processing my own deer. However I now have a son that is starting to hunt and a setup that would allow for doing it myself, and I am going to give it a try.

Currently, my knife arsenal is just a Buck knife i use for field dressing, etc. My question is whether there is a knife set or something similar that is a no-brainer to buy for processing animals? Also, if there are items other than knives that are game-changers, please mention those as well.

I would be doing it in a shop with a winch on the ceiling, so the deer would be hanging.

Thanks in advance,
UR
The outdoors edge knife kits are not too bad. I have processed a few animals so far with it and still haven’t resharpened. I think I paid like $30-40,

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It does actually.

No, damnit...no..no...no. I refuse to believe it.

Actually, I have no idea as it may be related to that shit show, but I think I just bought it at Scheels some 15(?) years ago. And I don't recall it being advertised as associated with him.

Anyway, it's been a darn good blade for the time I've had it.

Timbuk-2

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a 4 & 6 inch old style chicago cutlery boning knife, a fillet knife and a large slicing knife for cutting steaks.
CRKT-Columbia River Knife & Tool

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77