Kids ATV recommendations

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
I have a 7yo daughter and she wants an atv. Any input and recommendations are appreciated!

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Get her a dirt bike to start. Believe it or not much safer for a first time rider.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Peddle bike and a lawn rake are really popular with kids.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can-Am and Polaris made good ones years ago.
Some had a washer to put in exhaust to limit speed and power some have a different key to do the same.
Make sure to get one to be able to limit speed and power.
# 1 thing and absolutely NO EXCEPTIONS is she must wear a helmet at all times and no riders!!!!

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
Coolster, they're not expensive, parts are cheap and easy to find, and they are pretty good machines for kids. My 7yo rides his all the time.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The recommendation depends on what your after. If you want something that your kid can go trail riding with the group, I say get a name brand Polaris, Yamaha, Can-am or the likes. They all make them and they all make quality machines that will last a long time with minimal maintenance. Expect to pay $3k or more for one though.

The flip side, if it's just something for her to tool around the yard/farm and have fun, the little no-name Chinese 110's are great. Don't get me wrong, you'll end up tightening bolts, and fixing on them here and there but they run and serve the purpose for about $600-$700. I bought one for my daughter when she was 4. She rode it a bit and then my son grew into it and rode it. I just sold it this year for $350 after 10-years of use. Paid $550 for it new with a helmet, changed oil once a year with Amsoil Briggs racing oil, and outside of a few minor things, it worked pretty good. It had an adjustable throttle for speed and came with a remote kill switch however it only worked from about 10 ft away so it was kinda useless. top speed with an adult was 25-30 mph which was almost scary, lol.

Good luck

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personally, my recommendation, keep her off those death machines until she's 16, or forever.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wanted a things when I was 7.
ended up with a shovel cleaning up dog shit.
I'm not sure how you raise your girl but I'd start by doing chores/homework over a toy.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I love all the expert parenting advise, I’m sure you guys all perfect dads ��..............pretty sure mike wasn’t asking your opinions on how to raise his child but instead some advise on an ATV for HIS 7 year old. Ignore the yeehoos mike. My kids grew up on motorsports equipment from ATVs, jet skis, snowmobiles, and boats. They were taught how to respect them and how to ride them. Have fun making memories with your kids.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a Polaris ranger 150 for my kids a year ago. It was like 4500 new. I swore i would never spend that kind of $ for a kids UTV. But, truthfully, I think its well worth it. Payments are about 150/month. It will govern down to 5 mph. Has a roll cage. Came with 2 helmets. Has been maintenance free. Goes 30 mph if I want it to. I actually like driving them around myself. And the resale appears to be ridiculously good. They sell used for 2500- 3500 5 years old. I say this not trying to justify my purchase one bit. I was certain I would regret it. I don't one bit. And I always have buyers remorse.

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love all the expert parenting advise, I’m sure you guys all perfect dads ��..............pretty sure mike wasn’t asking your opinions on how to raise his child but instead some advise on an ATV for HIS 7 year old. Ignore the yeehoos mike. My kids grew up on motorsports equipment from ATVs, jet skis, snowmobiles, and boats. They were taught how to respect them and how to ride them. Have fun making memories with your kids.

He asked for recommendations....I gave him mine.

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
I wanted a things when I was 7.
ended up with a shovel cleaning up dog shit.
I'm not sure how you raise your girl but I'd start by doing chores/homework over a toy.

Did he say the two were mutually exclusive? Sheesh..

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
do you buy these online or locally?

There are places around locally that sell these. I can't remember names off the top of my head. I know my MIL bought ours at the state fair one year they had a set up up there.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get her into little kids Dirt bike racing.
NDMA is a great way to go.
Our son was involved and we had allot of fun. Never saw a single rider get killed.
I can't say that for kids and atv's in our area, know of a couple that are no longer with us from accidents riding them. Sad

Last edited:

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
7 year old on an ATV? start planning the funeral
What a stupid comment. My son has been riding an atv since he was 5. I taught him how to corner and use of brake and speed. You plan on driving to work tomorrow? Start planning the funeral

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75