pistol help

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So other than shooting a few friends little to no experience with them. Not going to be cc alot more so just to have in the vehicle and going hunting in bear country. Thinking a glock in 10mm? just looking for suggestions. I have shot enough 1911 in 45 to know i dont want that.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The only ammo I have seen around is 10mm and .40 and sometimes some .45. My next gun will be a 10mm, glock would be a good gun but I would get a 10mm in a 1911 style unless you want a gun with extra capacity

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bear spray. Brain shot is the only way you're going to stop a bear with a pistol. Unless you're going to practice a lot and get good enough to put a brain shot on that furry tractor that's going 35mph, go with bear spray

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bear spray. Brain shot is the only way you're going to stop a bear with a pistol. Unless you're going to practice a lot and get good enough to put a brain shot on that furry tractor that's going 35mph, go with bear spray

Bear is about 1% of the reason i want it. Its more for riding in the pickup for shit hit the fan situation but i will practice alot because i enjoy shooting

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ll take a 10 mm over bear spray 7 days a week and twice on sundays.

don’t let the tree huggers fool u

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ive got a Glock 20 (10mm) and it's an accurate, easy to shoot pistol.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ll take a 10 mm over bear spray 7 days a week and twice on sundays.

don’t let the tree huggers fool u

Out west I have heard a couple guys survive grizzly attack by holding their bear spray by their head and the grizzly chomping down on the can. They didn’t get a chance to shoot it or spray it. Bear spray is an absolute must. Gun shots just attract more in.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personally i like .40 caliber but that is my preference.
Get a brand that functions well and fits your hand perfectly. Don't go looking with tunnel vision about a certain make or model without trying it and hopefully shooting it also. Ask your friends or guys on here to try theirs. If i was in SoDak i would certainly let you try mine as i have a few different makes and models that i like to carry and fit me perfectly.
Good luck with the search and let us know what you decide.

Longtine

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lived in Anchorage for 6 years....worked remotely all over the state, was charged twice...scary stuff. 12 gauge with slugs, only way to go.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nowadays i guess if i were still going into bear country i guess having both a good hand gun and bear spray wouldn't be a dumb idea.

Best to be over prepared.

I got lucky once and it never bothered me when thinking back about it for 10-15 years even though my bride always told me how lucky i was. We watched a documentary of a guy that went through a bear attack and he didn't fare too well but lived to survive. After seeing that it really sunk in just how lucky i was at the time!

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a sawed off pistol grip 12 gauge on your hip while elk hunting

- - - Updated - - -

If it’s black, fight back. If it’s brown, get down. If it’s white, goodnight.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lived in Anchorage for 6 years....worked remotely all over the state, was charged twice...scary stuff. 12 gauge with slugs, only way to go.

I agree with a shotgun, but slug and staggered with 4 buck so every other shot was a slug. Buckshot will shoot the eyes out and the nose.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
My buddies in Montana have a pump shotgun by their patio doors for bears and are always loaded with 00 buck and slugs one after the other.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bear is about 1% of the reason i want it. Its more for riding in the pickup for shit hit the fan situation but i will practice alot because i enjoy shooting
I formally retract my negative statement. Carry on good sir

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
what do 22 semi autos do with birdshot ? I can imagine they must jam every time or not ? Are there any semi autos that you can shoot like a "bolt" action something like my old Stevens 22 rifle where you pushed the pin in so it couldn't cycle ? Anything you can cycle manually and semi auto both ?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personally, I want something I can drop in the mud, leave in the pickup over night at -50, and still fire. Revolver baby. For a pickeup gun, 357.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76