Fall Walleye Techniques

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who's got time to fish?? :mad:Just ripped out my driveway and hope to pour it Saturday. Then it 40' of vinyl railing around the back deck, then its completely gut the basement bathroom, then its paint a couple bedrooms and kitchen. OH MY GOD why did I get married 36 years ago?? ;:;banghead

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Who's got time to fish?? :mad:Just ripped out my driveway and hope to pour it Saturday. Then it 40' of vinyl railing around the back deck, then its completely gut the basement bathroom, then its paint a couple bedrooms and kitchen. OH MY GOD why did I get married 36 years ago?? ;:;banghead

All that should have been finished over COVID quarantine...:;:

I think I am heading up to give it a try tomorrow morning. Think I'll give jiggin raps a go, maybe try casting some cranks shallower and see if there is anything going on there. I've heard big minnows/suckers this time of year, but not many bait stores around me (actually I know of 0 bait stores) carry large minnows.

Anyone want to chime in on whether I should try back in bays, or stay out on main lake structures?

Last edited:

ranger150

★ Legendary Member

You need to hire some help and go fishing! I was on Sak Tuesday and Wed. Fish are starting to concentrate at the fall areas. Got some nice eyes pitching jig/minnow in 24 feet. TRUST your fish finder!!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
fall full moon is my fav,troll cranks 8' to 15'....firetiger or blue/silver pattern here...

on occasion one stumbbles across the hungry wolf on the same structure... girth.jpg

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
PS~ one late fall evening I was invited to fish big walleyes wilst on a phesant hunting trip in central nebraska,local was dialed in on lake McConaughy,(big resivoir,),night bite trolling stick baits,#9 floating raps,orange and silver,we trolled along shoreline with planner boards,poppin big hungry walleyes between 10# to 12#s to big for what I consider eating,but my host filled his live well (5 fish each),hard to beat fall walleye fishing in the fall know matter the water or state.Full moon in november can be rewarding for die hards if you have open water,cold as hell,generally wear a wet suit to keep warm and dry,but big fish are had.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
PS~ one late fall evening I was invited to fish big walleyes wilst on a phesant hunting trip in central nebraska,local was dialed in on lake McConaughy,(big resivoir,),night bite trolling stick baits,#9 floating raps,orange and silver,we trolled along shoreline with planner boards,poppin big hungry walleyes between 10# to 12#s to big for what I consider eating,but my host filled his live well (5 fish each),hard to beat fall walleye fishing in the fall know matter the water or state.Full moon in november can be rewarding for die hards if you have open water,cold as hell,generally wear a wet suit to keep warm and dry,but big fish are had.

I fish until I need a snowshovel to get to the water. Note the fish are on a stringer.

snowy walleyes.jpg

Attachments

snowy walleyes.jpg

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've ice fished on a spot one week after boat fishing it. one year, my brother was breaking ice in his little 12 ft boat one year and doing really good. Guys were fishing 20 yards away on the ice, but he and his buddy had kept a spot open by fishing it daily.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
October is my favorite month to fish Sak. I find two ways I love to fish them. Jig raps or cranks. the majority of fish are deep, but you can find them shallow. Minnows work, but most of the time the jig rap bite is so good managing a second rod just isn't worth it.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Remember when fishing no such thing as "wrong" . I fished bass exclusively for 25 years and that was the first lesson i learned. The first walleye tourney i ever fished I used a norman or some fat bellied crank and every one in our group said i was "wrong" by fishing that and my method. Guess what i wasnt wrong and i dont remember what place we took but we brought home money and all that said I was wrong took home nothing.

The only bass tech I'll say is not very effective for walleye is the spinnerbait. Conversely, my PB of 8.7 was on a modified Beetle Spin (1/4oz I believe) below the Darling dam during an extreme high water period (01?). I was using a slow pumping retrieve, allowing the current to do most of the work. That's what she said.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only bass tech I'll say is not very effective for walleye is the spinnerbait. Conversely, my PB of 8.7 was on a modified Beetle Spin (1/4oz I believe) below the Darling dam during an extreme high water period (01?). I was using a slow pumping retrieve, allowing the current to do most of the work. That's what she said.

There have been some walleye tourneys won on spinnerbaits.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cool. Care to elaborate? I've caught a couple on the grub equipped trailer hook but the follows have far outnumbered the strikes.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought it might be a rod that flies.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hey Rowdie: Reading this again tonight; I believe I misinterpreted your OP. Anyways, I don't know. A leech or minnow on the trailer hook sure as hell wouldn't hurt.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Capt: Just read the link again and was again impressed--thanks!

Since we sort of veered on this: A Texas Rigged 7.5in "match the hatch" (Moccasin, Motor oil, June bug, etc) or a "shock" (Tomato) Culprit worm has resulted in A LOT of "by-catch" from the shore on Audubon. In fact, this rig catches walleye and cat enough to ponder if I'm actually targeting smallmouth. Trying to figure out an acceptable leader to keep pike from depleting my spools of PowerPro.

My "go to" for the 7.5in Culprit worm is a 4/0 Mustad or Eagle Claw worm hook and a 3/8oz bullet weight fished just like a jig /minnow. If I were to "target" walleye I'd bore holes through the sides of bbl sinkers in the concept of a football jig to avoid snagging.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75