Fall Walleye Techniques

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I quit hunting because I found out how hungry & aggressive giant walleyes get that time of year

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fish until I need a snowshovel to get to the water. Note the fish are on a stringer.

FoKb_dYaUAIM17_.jpeg

Jaykay,LOL good ole stringer...I use em on remote lakes we hump in with canoe's,also seen old timers put fish on a stringer ice fishing,funny as hell,then toss the stringer out of fish the shack on ice...

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a stringer all the time in the Bath Tub

sdwxman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blue Jig in the fall...I vertical jig more in the fall. I will run cranks but put the BB away. Fish a lot deeper too, but will run cranks along the the shoreline. Fish will head back up the creeks and rivers. I'll fish the Beaver Bay bridge or the HWY 12 bridge between Mobridge and McLaughlin. Oh and the Spur Line bridge up the Grand.

We did well up by the highway 12 bridge on Saturday. Beat the wind! 6-13 FOW.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jaykay,LOL good ole stringer...I use em on remote lakes we hump in with canoe's,also seen old timers put fish on a stringer ice fishing,funny as hell,then toss the stringer out of fish out of the shack on ice...

That's the metal stringer I use when wading. I usually pop a rod holder into the gravel right where I drop my tackle bag. clip the stringer to my rod holder. Fill, empty, repeat.

I know some people catch fish so fast that they tie the stringer to their waders. They can't spare the time to walk back to shore. I am not those people.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
JayKay,I had a steel cable stringer one year fishing a remote lake in canada,had a small 18" walleye on the end of it I invited to dinner but needed a couple more hangin off the side of the boat,wasn't long that 18" walleye was thrashing around making a big ruckus,I looked over the side of the boat,dang giant pike had a hold of it,tore it off the stringer before I could pull it in,basterd.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
We did well up by the highway 12 bridge on Saturday. Beat the wind! 6-13 FOW.

How big were your fish? They quit biting at Spur Line about 9:30 it seems, how about up at HWY 12? (If you don't mind a couple questions) Yeah, we scratched out a meal again up at Yates Sat. Back in at 1, we beat the wind too. It was actually really nice.

- - - Updated - - -

I may have to use the ole Bath Tub and just put in at the HWY 12 bridge. May be a lot easier than the long boat ride. Saves me about 20 miles of pavement too (round trip)

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
JayKay,I had a steel cable stringer one year fishing a remote lake in canada,had a small 18" walleye on the end of it I invited to dinner but needed a couple more hangin off the side of the boat,wasn't long that 18" walleye was thrashing around making a big ruckus,I looked over the side of the boat,dang giant pike had a hold of it,tore it off the stringer before I could pull it in,basterd.

I lost the better part of each fish, on a stringer full of fish once, to a big turtle. Big bugger was just sitting there, nipping off the fish (leaving the heads) like he was at the lunch-counter.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well that would be a little un -nerving,no scary as hell,,can't imagine have a big snapper(as in turtle) grabbing ahold on ya.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There have been some walleye tourneys won on spinnerbaits.

One of the biggest walleye I have ever caught was on a spinnerbait at night fishing the dam at Lake McConaughy. Apparently lakes that have alewives as a primary bait source (McConaughy does) are lakes where a spinnerbait is often a preferred method of catching walleye. The alewives will follow the spinnerbaits and then scatter leaving only the spinnerbait when the walleye chase...I have personally witnessed the baitfish following lures like this so it makes sense to me. Apparently it does not work on shad lakes because the shad will not follow the spinnerbaits.

Side note, I caught a lot of walleye this weekend using jigging raps in 20-30 fow. Took my brother on Saturday and then my boss and his daughter on Sunday. Thankfully Sunday the bite was better (windy as heck though), as my bosses daughter was able to catch a few as well. Jigging rap fishing takes a bit of getting used to...well at least for me anyway, so I was worried she might struggle realizing when a fish was on and then keeping it pinned once she did realize she had a fish.

sdwxman

Founding Member
Founding Member
How big were your fish? They quit biting at Spur Line about 9:30 it seems, how about up at HWY 12? (If you don't mind a couple questions) Yeah, we scratched out a meal again up at Yates Sat. Back in at 1, we beat the wind too. It was actually really nice.

- - - Updated - - -

I may have to use the ole Bath Tub and just put in at the HWY 12 bridge. May be a lot easier than the long boat ride. Saves me about 20 miles of pavement too (round trip)

Four were 14-15 inches, the other four were 17-20 inches.

Fishing was best on the flats just east of the bridge.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67