Fall Walleye Techniques

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thought maybe a new fishing thread would be good. Until the past couple years I really have not fished much past the middle, maybe the end of September. This is mostly due to the fact that as a teacher/coach, I get busy again and only have the weekends, plus I also like to follow the dogs around, so time is split.

Just wondering if any of you guys that are way better fishermen than me want to share some tips/advice for novice fall fishermen like myself.

I'll give you what I've got...the past 1-2 years going into about the third week of October (never boat fished past October) I have had my best luck fishing jigging raps or jig/minnow presentations in 20-30 fow. I try to find baitfish on my electronics and vertical jig. Don't know if this is a good approach or not. Have caught a few fish, but wouldn't say they were my best days by any means.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blue Jig in the fall...I vertical jig more in the fall. I will run cranks but put the BB away. Fish a lot deeper too, but will run cranks along the the shoreline. Fish will head back up the creeks and rivers. I'll fish the Beaver Bay bridge or the HWY 12 bridge between Mobridge and McLaughlin. Oh and the Spur Line bridge up the Grand.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been going to run lead core or snaps or even Dipsey Divers in the old Channel down 45 or 50 fow. I did it last Thurdsday, got 4 one 21 incher. I'd like to know where and how those Olson boys won the PKC tournament. They found the big mamas.

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not always but on some years you can catch the bigger fish shallow due to water temps being where they need to be for the fish and the movement of bait shallow ! I’ve found fall bite is all about timing, one day there there the next there gone ! Anywhere from 6 ft to 30 ft ! If your not catching always keep moving and looking until you can pattern something. Thr deeper bite is usually the most consistent any way you prefer to fish it! I use jigs jig raps and spoon baits all year and never find it to hard to catch fish as long as your willing to make the moves until you connect with them ! Tight lines best time of year

Casey Buchholz

Founding Member
Founding Member
Currently I would fish shallow sloughs with fathead minnow or young fish pattern crankbaits along green vegetation that gives way to rock or gravel. You will catch fish in the mornings and evenings if the weather cooperates. The larger fish are putting on the feed bag before winter and their metabolism is still on high due to warm water temps.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
right now -- cranks lead core and bouncers and nightcrawlers. Its not fall yet for the ND eye

Casey Buchholz

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are fish in really shallow water right now but they are mostly feeding in short windows coinciding with low light hours. If you have side imaging I would say you could really put the smack down on some of the big girls.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Simply wrong.

keep fishing those "protected eyeballs slots in the blue state"

meanwhile in ND - the fish cleaning station is within my site of view from my place-- i know whats bullshit and whats not. I kept the grinder from rusting up last weekend -- even the feeder lake people were bitchen.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
ahab had some biggins jiggin no doubt about that. i will start jiggin when the cold comes. it just turned fall two days ago

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know anything about these walleyes you all keep talking about. Especially when the leaves turn color.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Captain, do you have any wisdom to impart on a guy looking to up his fall fishing game?

I don't fish anywhere in ND, but I fish the Missouri river in SD in what would be Lake Francis Case above Fort Randall Dam. Last week a guy told me he caught several walleye fishing a point more toward the back of a bay on jigging raps in 30 fow. I wouldn't have even thought about fishing back in the bay, I would have stayed out at the mouth of the bay fishing the main lake points...am I wrong in this line of thinking?

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have been fishing for many many years it’s time to spread your wings and fly.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remember when fishing no such thing as "wrong" . I fished bass exclusively for 25 years and that was the first lesson i learned. The first walleye tourney i ever fished I used a norman or some fat bellied crank and every one in our group said i was "wrong" by fishing that and my method. Guess what i wasnt wrong and i dont remember what place we took but we brought home money and all that said I was wrong took home nothing.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Feel the flow shorthairs... put the phone in the glove box and head out there with your chin high.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
keep fishing those "protected eyeballs slots in the blue state"

meanwhile in ND - the fish cleaning station is within my site of view from my place-- i know whats bullshit and whats not. I kept the grinder from rusting up last weekend -- even the feeder lake people were bitchen.

Easy big fella. Plenty of fall patterns kicking in. Just poked the bear as you do so well:)

- - - Updated - - -

Captain, do you have any wisdom to impart on a guy looking to up his fall fishing game?

I don't fish anywhere in ND, but I fish the Missouri river in SD in what would be Lake Francis Case above Fort Randall Dam. Last week a guy told me he caught several walleye fishing a point more toward the back of a bay on jigging raps in 30 fow. I wouldn't have even thought about fishing back in the bay, I would have stayed out at the mouth of the bay fishing the main lake points...am I wrong in this line of thinking?

Jig raps are great all the way to freeze up from here. Also rigging big minnows is great. Never hurts to try frogs as well. Hit eddies and current breaks on rivers. On lakes fish are generally deep, but can be found up shallow hunting schools of baitfish as well. It's a great time to fish big and aggressive.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76