boxelder bugs~

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
anyone have a home remedy? bastards showed up yesterday big time,also hoards of flying ants pouring out of the ground,1000's...put charcoal fluid/match to em which reveiled burrow holes everywhere in my sandy soil

yellow jackets took over my apple tree's,just a matter of time before I stumble across they're ground nest.Local feedmill has the remedy for these bee's.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I go around and soak the ground around the bottom of the foundation with insecticide in the Fall.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dawn soap, it plugs up their breathing holes and they die.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanx guyz,I'll give dawn soapy water a whirl tonight.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i can't find the video anymore. but, a few years back now i learned of mixing the right amount of fipronil (flea and tick ointment for dogs and cats) in the right size can of canned chicken. essentially a protein bait. just the right % and they can't sense it. grab the meat. take it back to the hive and kills em. we had a wasp and yellow jacket problem every year. now they are gone. have only seen one random wasp it like 3 years. really works in cases where you can't find their nest. i will try find the vid. i think i even posted it on this site.

boxelder bugs are weird. i live in the country. have a bunch of boxelder trees. for some reason, we don't have any bugs. never have. knock on wood. i wonder if its cause we are isolated and they just have never discovered my trees?

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOKROiI0EHo

https://youtu.be/dsd-lAUmb0A

- - - Updated - - -

btw... it looks like JMF gets credit for the video on protein baiting. turns out i "found" it on this wonderful site after he posted it.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We get them in the spring and fall around the front door, maybe around 40-50 of them. Seems they just go away on their own in a couple days.
We dont really use the front door, so never bothered with them. I will now for sure be spraying some dawn on them. I like killing bugs.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
We get them in the spring and fall around the front door, maybe around 40-50 of them. Seems they just go away on their own in a couple days.
We dont really use the front door, so never bothered with them. I will now for sure be spraying some dawn on them. I like killing bugs.
Agreed john,damn boxelder's,always on south facing side of my house and pole barn,they like the sun it seems,then hide under the siding,had a couple boxelder tree's 20 years ago when I bought my old house ,tree's long gone but damn boxelder bugs every year...spring and fall too,fall is the worst for some reason,hope this dawn soapy water deal works otherwise I'll give tempo a whirl as stated above.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had boxelder bugs bad at my last house. I used tempo and it would turn the ground around my house red with dead juveniles. Tempo also worked on my apple trees to kill the wasps.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Soapy water is a contact killer as in you HAVE to completely coat the bug with the soapy water in order to kill them. The dish soap breaks the water tension (soap is a surfactant) and then they drown since they need to breathe through their exoskeletons and their exoskeletons allow water to bead up on it. Spraying your dirt with soapy water will do nothing, nor will spraying the side of your house (unless it needs a cleaning).

As many others have noted, Tempo is awesome, so are permethrin and pyrethrin based insecticides.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Soapy water is a contact killer as in you HAVE to completely coat the bug with the soapy water in order to kill them. The dish soap breaks the water tension (soap is a surfactant) and then they drown since they need to breathe through their exoskeletons and their exoskeletons allow water to bead up on it. Spraying your dirt with soapy water will do nothing, nor will spraying the side of your house (unless it needs a cleaning).

As many others have noted, Tempo is awesome, so are permethrin and pyrethrin based insecticides.

So the four gallons of Dawn i poured down the front of thehouse was just a giant waste?
Thanks for the fast response to this vital bug topic. See what you can do next time to prevent my eager abandon.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, how did it work, Snow?
So far so good,sat out in my barn smoking a cigar last night,no issues just a few stragglers,as I was ready to pull the trigger on tempo,glad I saved the $30 that amazon wanted for a jug of tempo..

So many thanx to you guyz steering me in the right direction....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74