East Devil's Lake - Any help is greatly appreciated

So Ca Transplant

So I am originally from Southern California and am now living in Grand Forks, ND for the next several months. I am also new to this site and have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing how many people helped others with their suggestions, which is one of the main reasons I joined and am posting.

I know it's late in the season but I don't have ice fishing gear and want to get in some fishing time before it's too late for me. I was thinking of going to East Devil's Lake for shore fishing (I also don't have a boat) but have no idea what locations and strategies works best.

I enjoy catching and eating just about anything. I do have a light rig for panfish and a medium rig for larger fish. Any pointers, tips or recommendations would be much appreciated.
Oliver:wheretheyat:

wales

Founding Member
Founding Member
you should get some help here but assuming you get some minnows at a Devils Lake bait shop they will can lead you to decent spots. Good time of the year to fish. I would use a lindy rig setup with a 3 or 4 ft. snell. Plain hook & minnow. Rod holders & a lawn chair come in handy also

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
A couple tips: advertising you’re from Southern California isn’t viewed as a positive when it comes to this site.....unless you’re a military guys.

otherwise, shore fishing DL in fall, focus on the bridges and you’ll catch fish.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bridges or the shoreline the wind is blowing into. Lindy rigs and/or slip bobbers with live bait. Specific to E DL for public access to shoreline you're pretty much stuck to the Woods-Rutten road or County Rd 4.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
To add to wales post on the lindy rig, use a Northland floating gumdrop jig
123343.jpg

I put that rod in a holder and jig with the other rod with a 1/4oz jig in pearl white.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
A couple tips: advertising you’re from Southern California isn’t viewed as a positive when it comes to this site.....unless you’re a military guys.

otherwise, shore fishing DL in fall, focus on the bridges and you’ll catch fish.

Always some asshole on this site trying to turn every post into a political commentary. Don't pay any attention to that, people from southern California are as welcome here as anyone else. Good luck and good fishing.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was gonna say the same thing earlier this morning PR. Too many on here have such a high opinion of themselves, and forget to look in the mirror. Welcome to NDA and ND SoCal. Good luck fishing and have fun.

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
Always some asshole on this site trying to turn every post into a political commentary. Don't pay any attention to that, people from southern California are as welcome here as anyone else. Good luck and good fishing.

thats a bit extreme calling me an asshole when I pointed out a fact. Nothing political was even close to being mentioned. Just offered up tips as well as my experience on fishing fall DL walleyes.

take a deep breath And try to think for at least two seconds the next time you decide to type something. I’m glad you and risingsun decided to comment on his post without providing any type of fishing suggestions. Well done.

So Ca Transplant

Thanks for the tip.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the reply to my post. I used to be in the military: served as a medic with the 82nd Airborne and served in Desert Shield/Storm, does that count for military service?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for taking the time to share your suggestion and feedback.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I thought the fish quit biting on E DL in the fall? ;)
Bridges or the shoreline the wind is blowing into. Lindy rigs and/or slip bobbers with live bait. Specific to E DL for public access to shoreline you're pretty much stuck to the Woods-Rutten road or County Rd 4.

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
I would also recommend casting jigs with swim baits or Rapalas near the bridges and rock piles, you can catch some decent sized pike and walleyes this way.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member

Who elected you the representative for how people on this site think. Just because you don't like people from southern California doesn't mean everyone else feels that way. I'll grant calling you an asshole was a bit harsh but your post was asinine. Just because you offered fishing advice doesn't make the remark acceptable. I think you're the one who should have thought for two seconds before replying to the poster.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the thing to take from all this bullshit is that if you are shore fishing Devils Lake, go to the west end
of the lake. Way more accessible.

And remember you can use two lines in ND.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
this ^^^^ is somewhat true. the 20 and 57 bridges are good this time of year. they will add about 15 (30 round trip) to your voyage from forks. but, i wouldn't say they are much if any better than woods rutten bridge. 6 mile, mauvais and churches ferry too. not sure about churches ferry this time of year though. 57 has actual "shoreline" in a few spots. 20, 6 mile, mauvais, etc... not so much. just rocks to sit on that i can think of. however, there are miles and miles of what is now becoming "shoreline" below the highway rip rap as you get south of town and west of town. south along 20/57. west along 19 at creel, six mile and the flats. i would say much better chance at catching numbers and sizes at the bridges though this time of year. so, the advice to focus your efforts there is best. there is also highway #1 at stump and where old #1 goes into the lake. no clue how that would be this time of year though. but, would definitely save a bit of time. good luck.

So Ca Transplant

The Outcome!

:;:thumbsup
Hello Everyone,
I want to first and foremost thank EVERYONE for taking the time to post a comment on this thread, fishing related or not. Everyone is allowed their opinion, but we still have fishing & the outdoors in common here. I received a lot more detailed information than I thought I would get. I ended up fishing the bridge on the 20 after buying minnows at Ed's Bait Shop and getting confirmation from the bait guy that the bridge on 20 is a good one. I arrived at the windward spot a little before 8 am and left at 7pm. It turned out to be a beautiful day and I even heard shotgun rounds go off in the morning, which I presume were from water fowl hunters. I only had 2 guys show up at separate times to fish that spot and they were only there for about an hour total.....combined....so I literally had the spot to myself, which I like very much. And get this, the first guy was originally from Central California! Ha ha

I started out with a Lindy Rig dead stick and I jigged with my second stick for most of the morning but later switched to 2 dead sticks with lindy rigs. I had a great time fishing and hope I have time to come back again (if I don't try another body of water) before the ice shows up. But I am also very open to also trying ice fishing. The end results are below and I did much better than anticipated.
Dead stick #1 (10# main line & 8# Seaguar Flouro 4ft. Snell w/floating gumdrop)
3 Pike (35", 20" & 22")
*****That's right a 35" Pike on my lighter rig. Immediately it felt very big if not huge, so I chose to play it safe and try to let it tire out before really attempting to bring it in. Well let's say I thought I was going to lose it twice because I missed with the net (solo) and it took off in hurry both times. But in the end I was able to get it in the net! Hands down the best freshwater battle I have ever had!
*****Both the 20" & 22" Pike were JUMPERS and that definitely gets heart pumping. I have only ever had saltwater fish jump on my line before and it was amazing!
1 White Bass
Unfortunately, no walleye, which I really wanted even a throw back so that I could have had my own Devils Lake Grand Slam or Trifecta (if anyone best horses)!

Dead stick #2 (15# main line & 8# Seaguar Flouro 4ft. Snell w/red Gamakatsu #2 Walleye hook plus a small float and a small glow in the dark bead)
1 Pike approx. 20"

In the end I had one of the best times freshwater fishing and the fact that it was my first time fishing in ND makes it that much more memorable for me. Thank you again, everyone for your help because you really assisted in giving me one of the best days of my life!

P.S. If you ever need tips on Saltwater fishing in Southern California.....let me know, I'll be more than happy to help.
In chronological order: Wales / Walleyman_1875 / SDMF / Tikkalover / Ponyroper / risingsun / Vollmers / FishFinder97 / westwolfone / espringers
:;:rockit

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad you enjoyed your day and had fun. That is by far and away the best thing. If you get the chance and put in the time, you will get yourself an eye or 2. Hope it happens for ya. :;:cheers

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
So Ca guy,great report,thanx for sharing,next time "pics" or some here will say "it didn't happen"....lol none the less,it was a great follow up report.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
That 20 bridge is just as good this time of year as it is in the spring. I have a couple groups of duck hunters that stay at our cabin and hunt water til bout noon, clean their birds and fish that bridge from bot 4 til dark. The pics they have are stupid good. Walleyes. They arrive in about 10 days. So, if the weather cooperates and you have time, try get back here again if you can. Glad you had a good time!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76