SB 2315 / Lockout

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
If you look at the final vote last time you had people who switched and that is why it almost passed. You have these Rep and Sen's from Bismarck , Minot etc that are voting for it . I have a hard time believing their constituents are asking them to do this , You are never going to get the rural rep's and sen's to vote against it . Mine voted against it , I was on them like before every vote , and thanked them after each one .

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
you'll get nothing in return - except that glowing feeling that the GST types are happier than clams

the guy farming with foreign help likely doesn't give two $hits about hunting/tradition - like everything it comes down to $ and control

I like how Armstrong points out the nasty people come from Fargo - Go Bison

Craig Armstrong, a North Dakota landowner and avid hunter, said he understood both sides of the argument.

“More and more people are wanting landowner rights back because of bad hunters,” Armstrong said. “There are bad hunters out there and they give all of us good hunters a bad name. They have a lot of ways that they piss off landowners by not following the rules, the law, shooting too close to their house, etc.”
Armstrong added, “It seems to me, and really is, that we’ve become more of a hunting destination state for our neighbors. Most of the bad hunters are coming from the east, places like Minnesota and Fargo. They’re from the city and don’t know the ethics and think this land is theirs to use and abuse — it’s not.”

Armstrong said that he believes that it wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing should posting laws become a thing of the past.

- - - Updated - - -

:;:rockitFargo hunters are the problem. Run them out of the state!

- - - Updated - - -

Evidence of the coarseness that so rattles these landowners can be found all throughout the neighboring patches of land: battered and beaten land, trash and spent shells, grass patches turned to mudholes and pronounced ruts in the shape of truck tires, some up to 10 inches deep, criss-crossing the mud chaotically, all but destroying a generations-old dirt trail used for work, not play.
The main suspects? According to the landowners, irreverent hunters.

- - - Updated - - -

^^^^ Pretty sure that was me. I like to drive 5 hours and then raise some hell and then turn around and drive back home.

No game out west for you eastern road ruiners anyway.

Maybe this armstrong character is on to something. My favorite dirt cut across road is always nasty when hunting season hits, and the rain comes, and some easterners come crashing out with their jacked up trucks, white rim sunglasses, and Monster drinks.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those yellow "Lock Out" signs are the same color as PLOTS signs, I hope nobody gets confused this fall..........

There very well could be a reason for that, there is a lot of guys who feel that it's complete BS that they don't get paid by a government program every time a person hunts their land. They want the program as big or bigger than MT block management.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just happy that I lived through the "HAY DAYS" of hunting in ND. LB

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just happy that I lived through the "HAY DAYS" of hunting in ND. LB

Same here LB, same here. Back when landowners and hunters looked forward to seeing each other. Some still do today, but so many of those stories about torn up roads are just to get their way. Was the land not posted, and if it was how is automatic posting going to solve the problem?

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, well, the electronic posting program had a 1.5% usage rate in the three trial counties. Something like 35,000 acres out of a possible 2.5 million were signed up this summer for the pilot. In any other reality than the one we live in now, that is an abject failure -- especially as hard as G&F and even conservation groups were pushing it with publicity -- which still boggles my mind, though I'm sure the agency was under pressure from the Governor and other officials (and their special interest backers) to do so.

But the wiseguys behind it will claim that's a success, try to foist it on the G&F and then sportsmen will pay via increased license fees and other costs the half a million dollars a year it will take to continue to maintain this boondoggle that only 1.5% of all landowners will use. Meanwhile, the hunters and anglers who make up 20% of the state's population get the shaft and lose millions of acres in access.

Quit voting the alphabet and vote out your senators and representatives who voted for SB 2315 -- R, D, or otherwise. That bill alone should serve as a litmus test for sportsmen at the ballot box this year. I hate to preach one issue voting, but that truly is the demarcation, the line in the sand, and the focal point for finding out where they stand. They're either with dark money from special interest groups looking to screw sportsmen, or they're with the 140,000 hunters and anglers in this state. You don't need to call -- just look up their voting record and decide accordingly.

Buckle up, there's going to be a number of bills that are going to amend the aftermath of SB 2315 in 2021 and this financial and logistical nightmare of an online land system, which will make it worse, more expensive and more cumbersome, including:

1) NO requirements for contact information in the online database (It's coming, I've already seen proposed language);
2) All land starts as POSTED, and landowners can "unpost" it online (you know, the 1.5% that decide to log on) - exactly the opposite of what Erbele and supporters of this program said it'd be;
3) Addition of fees to sportsmen to keep this junker running, or alternatively, the cost will be borne by G&F, which is funded by our license revenue.

I hope you're well rested from two years ago. Back to the front in January! In the meantime, take some of their lieutenants out at the ballot box this November.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I returned emails to my people depending on how they voted. Have 2 that I told "sorry" cannot support you next election , the others will still receive my vote.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yeah, well, the electronic posting program had a 1.5% usage rate in the three trial counties. Something like 35,000 acres out of a possible 2.5 million were signed up this summer for the pilot. In any other reality than the one we live in now, that is an abject failure -- especially as hard as G&F and even conservation groups were pushing it with publicity -- which still boggles my mind, though I'm sure the agency was under pressure from the Governor and other officials (and their special interest backers) to do so.

But the wiseguys behind it will claim that's a success, try to foist it on the G&F and then sportsmen will pay via increased license fees and other costs the half a million dollars a year it will take to continue to maintain this boondoggle that only 1.5% of all landowners will use. Meanwhile, the hunters and anglers who make up 20% of the state's population get the shaft and lose millions of acres in access.

Quit voting the alphabet and vote out your senators and representatives who voted for SB 2315 -- R, D, or otherwise. That bill alone should serve as a litmus test for sportsmen at the ballot box this year. I hate to preach one issue voting, but that truly is the demarcation, the line in the sand, and the focal point for finding out where they stand. They're either with dark money from special interest groups looking to screw sportsmen, or they're with the 140,000 hunters and anglers in this state. You don't need to call -- just look up their voting record and decide accordingly.

Buckle up, there's going to be a number of bills that are going to amend the aftermath of SB 2315 in 2021 and this financial and logistical nightmare of an online land system, which will make it worse, more expensive and more cumbersome, including:

1) NO requirements for contact information in the online database (It's coming, I've already seen proposed language);
2) All land starts as POSTED, and landowners can "unpost" it online (you know, the 1.5% that decide to log on) - exactly the opposite of what Erbele and supporters of this program said it'd be;
3) Addition of fees to sportsmen to keep this junker running, or alternatively, the cost will be borne by G&F, which is funded by our license revenue.

I hope you're well rested from two years ago. Back to the front in January! In the meantime, take some of their lieutenants out at the ballot box this November.

Vote Democrat if your republican representative was out of line, pains me to say that......

35,000 acres is 219 sections that were posted total in the three counties combined. That’s a failure and shows landowners do not want to use it.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Why can't this be brought up as a measure and be voted on in the next general election??

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
The failure rate is why the all starts as posted is going to be pushed so hard .

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are we (the opposition) any more organized this year to fight back? We need a spotlight on this BS from Day 1 of the legislative session. No more sneaking shit through last minute like they did last time.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sure would be nice if the bigger conservation/hunter orgs that have a vested interest here (Delta Waterfowl, Pheasants Forever, RMEF, etc.) would speak their mind. They were absolutely mute the last go-around on this. I know the North Dakota Wildlife Fund was active, but that's it.

Considering Delta's HQ is in Bismarck, of all places, it's mighty telling when they keep their lips sealed in their own backyard.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe we need an initiated measure to prevent the kind of Shenanigans that went on during the last legislative session with this bill.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe Republicans in the state legislature should revisit the definition of Republican.

The Republican Party was initially created to advocate for a free-market economy that countered the Democratic Party's agrarian leanings and support of slave labour. In recent history, the Republicans have been affiliated with reducing taxes to stimulate the economy, deregulation, and conservative social values.

You didnt get elected to vote for your little bullshit interests, you represent your district, all of it, not the few that send you a check.

Maverick

total vote.jpg
Final Vote Totals

Last edited:

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Sure would be nice if the bigger conservation/hunter orgs that have a vested interest here (Delta Waterfowl, Pheasants Forever, RMEF, etc.) would speak their mind. They were absolutely mute the last go-around on this. I know the North Dakota Wildlife Fund was active, but that's it.

Considering Delta's HQ is in Bismarck, of all places, it's mighty telling when they keep their lips sealed in their own backyard.

Delta was not the loudest voice in the room, but they were not silent either.

https://deltawaterfowl.org/nd-sb2315/

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i got no response from any of my reps. and i remember how they voted. and i will vote accordingly this time despite the fact that i generally like them as people.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s going to take us being more organized, and there needs to be a bigger light shining on not only those pushing this bill, but the process as well. The bill was brought back to life in an almost unprecedented way last time.

As far as the reps, I could not have been more disgusted with a few of them. Complete unprofessional dolts. I will have to go back through my emails but some responses were, let’s just say...sad. My short back story is: yes I own some acres, and I knew the responsibility of posting land was included in the purchase. I know some slobs will trespass / toss garbage. I will let someone hunt if me and my friends / family are not. Funny enough, the biggest problem I’ve had are with my land neighbor (supporter of this bill) who’s kid and his friends ignored my signs and ripped donuts in my planted food plot. I don’t think we need a new law. I think we need to give our current law some teeth. Why would someone stop trespassing if we took our signs down? The push behind this is 100% because the more the big ag groups can cut down on hunters, the less resistance they will have to farm every acre in the state. It’s as simple as that. There is no property rights issue, there is no “preserving our heritage”l

The responses I got ranged from “you must be lucky to not have to deal with it constantly”, “you don’t make your living off your land so you don’t count”, “then you must be ok with me and my family having a picnic in your front yard” etc. I heard from one speaking in person that 100% of the emails he received was against this bill, it had zero support in his district, yet when he spoke with a newspaper he claimed it had “overwhelming support”. You also have to remember the type of person who is able to serve as a rep. Not many average joes or working professionals can run due to their full time jobs. Hence, we have some reps who are retired farmers (farm bureau members) and sometimes the unemployed spouses of farmers and ranchers. Sort of a conflict of interest if you ask me.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77