Illinois

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
#GUYWHOGERRYRIGS, is a true "reck neck" of nodak outdoors after viewing his contraption....LOL.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bet those fluffy ear's on royce collect alot of bur's eh? he sure is a smart lookin bird dog...booties n all.

So guy,never seen a sxs with invector chokes,local smith or did ya send it to briley for threading? curious

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Royce usually gets shaved down to prevent cocklebur hell - galwhofishes said she’ll be cutting him soon so it didn’t matter

hunting wasnt planned - I just woke up Saturday morning w snow flying and just felt like he/I should take a walk “for the gipper” - glad I did

the mods to the sxs were really an attempt to “remove barriers” to ice fishing - those barriers being that cold and aches pains lower a guy’s drive to get out as we get older

going to attend a Garmin Livescope seminar to see if I should rig up one of those on the sxs this year - then use it 8-9 times - ha ha

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry,I meant your sxs shotgun with invector chokes,looks like a 20ga,with extended chokes not seen before in my neighborhood curious who did the threading.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's an ingenious way to add some extra storage, well done.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Version one (blue rod holder photo) was “ok”, the addition of tops to the tube (black rod holder photo) where I could set the vexilars blew me away with how it was genuinely useful.

Really pleased with the way it fit my fishing style. I move a lot - it takes a good bite to motivate me to set up the popup. I’m always thinking I can “find em”. I don’t actually find them that often but I’m always convinced it’s worth trying.

- - - Updated - - -

I was willing to try anything to avoid a sled - the tracks mean you have to keep a sled covered. Ick.

- - - Updated - - -

Also - I pull the sxs with an enclosed trailer. Another reason to avoid hitches/sleds.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry,I meant your sxs shotgun with invector chokes,looks like a 20ga,with extended chokes not seen before in my neighborhood curious who did the threading.
[MENTION=412]SDMF[/MENTION]

that's not mine - I shoot an M2 20g - very happily

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bet those fluffy ear's on royce collect alot of bur's eh? he sure is a smart lookin bird dog...booties n all.

So guy,never seen a sxs with invector chokes,local smith or did ya send it to briley for threading? curious

Beretta 626 came threaded from the factory. Those are Beretta "Victory" extended tubes, IC/IC. The Beretta "Victory" tubes are compatible with anything equipped with their "Mobil-Choke" system.

- - - Updated - - -

My tracks throw lots too. But only the ends might get wet - and only when it’s warm/slushy. I also lined the top of the rack with HDPE so the tube contents stay quite dry. The combo of the giant rod box and sheets prevent the tube’s contents from getting wet.

I built it so I could slide the popup in/out by myself - saving my back.

The cargo webbing that holds the tube contents in also holds vexilars in place on each end. We can fish without moving a thing other than drilling a hole and grabbing a rod. Makes scouting less taxing for my old bones. I can also watch my vex from in the cab if jigging out the side door - the vexilars rotate.

IMG_9942_1024x1024@2x.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The tube width matches the track width - so the open ends are generally outside the track throw pattern.

It's like the chest pocket on a set of bibs, only for a UTV.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanx for the feedback SD, with royce in the pic figured it was #guywhogerryrigs....beretta 626 eh? when I think of beretta semi auto's,o/u,trap guns come to mind,never knew they built a sxs. nice,I pictured guy hunting wearing a beret and knicker pants smoking a pipe like they do in the old country across the pond hunting with sxs shotguns....

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Beretta builds some gorgeous SxS field guns. This is a 471 SilverHawk 20Ga from the early 2000's equipped w/Their Mobil-Choke system:

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_3925.jpg

Beretta 624, 625, and 626 aren't horridly expensive (at least not in SxS land) and are excellent field shotguns. My 626 in the field pic w/Royce is a 626 "Onyx" and was their entry level SxS. I believe they stopped importing them into the US in the very early 90's.

Very similar in quality and maybe a few hundred $$ more than a comparable condition a BSS.

The 471's were discontinued in the mid-2000's. Their replacement is called the "Parallelo" and starts out @ about $5K.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks to the NODAK guy who loaned me his M2 20g to try out. Can't recall his username.

I had shot a whole bunch of SDMF's guns prior - but the M2 was an instant love affair.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
He's sure a character and fun to have around. But he's a PITA to photo - I suppose all black dogs are. They look like a featureless black blob in most pics.

You want to see a photogenic dog you should see SDMF's new pup. The Vanna White of hunting dogs.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats a beauty. Guess I better add one to "the list"...

You can buy that one in the photo, I don't shoot it as well as the 626. I'm interviewing potential buyers so as to ensure it goes to a good home. (grin)

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
One last point about Royce. Women LOVE HIM and you can't find a single hair in our house. If any of you are in a battle of wills for a "hunting" dog the wife will accept, I'd seriously look into a standard poodle.

I never set out to be a dog owner. Galwhofishes wanted a companion/therapy dog candidate and I grudgingly agreed. I started training him out of curiosity/boredom and it just panned out. He's got zero hunting background (other than in the breed's obvious history) - but his dad has won many show dog titles.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
You know how to put a guy on the spot! Unfortunately I may need some time to save those kind of funds $$!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
One last point about Royce. Women LOVE HIM and you can't find a single hair in our house. If any of you are in a battle of wills for a "hunting" dog the wife will accept, I'd seriously look into a standard poodle.

I never set out to be a dog owner. Galwhofishes wanted a companion/therapy dog candidate and I grudgingly agreed. I started training him out of curiosity/boredom and it just panned out. He's got zero hunting background (other than in the breed's obvious history) - but his dad has won many show dog titles.

But...but...I'm not gay

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86