inline weights & crankbaits

sdtransplant

Established Member
down here in Nebraska everyone seems to be dragging cranks behind inline weights to get down 30 -40 ft , but are tight lipped on what cranks they use . Was wondering if cranks like flicker shads ,shad raps work or would stick baits husky jerks ,or thunder sticks work better? If you use a flicker shad would it still dive behind the weight ? Any ideas with in reason will be tried .

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get the precision trolling app that will get you close using snap weights. The book had a few different methods for using snaps as well.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use everything behind my snap weights, even the big boys. I've used everything from #5 flicker shads to #11 flicker minnows and reef runner 800's. Just change the amount of line between your crank and the weight and change the amount of line you let out after you snap the weight on. As mentioned the trolling app is great, but I find if you have a 3oz weight, once you snap it on you can let that baby sink until it hits bottom, then stop letting line out, let the boat catch up and pull the crank, this will lift the weight off the bottom. It will get you pretty close and if you are running a small crank you may need to let more line out, but not much. I use this method often, even to get down to 50-60 feet.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
A 2oz snap weight with a #5 flicker shad takes about 160-170ft back to buzz right over 32-33ft at 2-2.2MPH.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah that was my next question. I usually put it on at 50' just to be consistent.

VoodooShaman

H82bogey...... whats your reply to the distance between crank and weight? Like yourself, I will use a 3 or 4 oz weight, hit bottom, and go. I however, only run 20 behind the weight, not the 50ft as mentioned.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once you get use to a certain weight it’s hard to change. I run the Cabela’s snaps with 5 oz weights. I change my distance from weight to crank depending on water clarity. Generally 20-30’ though. I run all kind of different cranks as well as spinner baits, spoons and swim baits.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
H82bogey...... whats your reply to the distance between crank and weight? Like yourself, I will use a 3 or 4 oz weight, hit bottom, and go. I however, only run 20 behind the weight, not the 50ft as mentioned.

Most of the time I run 30-50' between crank and weight. For me it all depends on crank size, depth and water clarity. I have ran them as short as 15' but I prefer not to because I think it affects the action of your baits.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really interesting! So, the fish this summer went really deep early and the spinners/blades with worms no longer enticed them. I had 2-1/2oz BB's and they still didn't take any bait at 38' deep. So this tactic looks favorable when a person normally can't get down beyond 24' on a Reef Runner. Just snap on the weight 50' back and let 'er buck!?!?! Seems that pulling cranks at 45' will no longer be an issue, huh?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75