Anyone need a bull elk

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats to both hunter, and landowner for offering up the whereabouts.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
Congrats to both hunter, and landowner for offering up the whereabouts

Double and Triple that

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome

- - - Updated - - -

Post a pic with the lucky hunter

Clayton is not a regular of nodakangler. He heard about it from someone who is. I never asked him who.

Took several pictures. He had an older rifle. Something with sentimental value. I'm terrible, can't remember what.

We'll have to wait and see if Clayton posts pictures.

I have another picture of that collared bull taken two weeks ago. In the pic the tractor is red, my neighbors drove that tractor 6 miles to load it up. They called to let me know what they were doing so I drove out to see how things were going and noticed the collar. Told them they need to call Game and Fish.

They did and the lady says, "you don't have to call when you got an elk." They told her it has a collar. She goes whoa, stay on the line. The biologist that came out to remove the collar was a very nice guy. I asked him if it is $3 dollars for each specie elk, moose and bighorn, how much revenue does that bring in? He said about $300,000. To me, I would have thought it would be higher.

He removed the collar and it is supposed to have two black boxes. One pings a location every two days and the other is equipped so when a biologist gets within a half mile, they can hold an antenna up in the air and it should lead them to him. That box was torn off with bare wires exposed.

IMG_0312.jpg

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would be darn interesting to see that bull's movements since he has been collared.
Did they say how long the batteries last for those collars?

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took a bit to locate the map of his travels. The green dots are location readings. Seems he spent most of his time northwest of Halliday just south of the lake. Rough country.

A helicopter was used to shoot a net over him for capture and fitted with that collar. In 2019 he was at my place for two days and then went home. No one saw him.

In 2020 he made the journey back. Maybe 70 miles as the crow flies.

IMG_0363.jpg

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's pretty amazing he came back like that.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw a damn nice loner bull north of Williston yesterday too. Took a pic of him standing on the road lol

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 141
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80